Greene County Biographies
Greene County Biographies
From: Past and Present of Greene County, Missouri Early and Recent History and Genealogical Records of Many of the Representative Citizens by Jonathan Fairbanks and Clyde Edwin Tuck CHARLES F. LaBOUNTY. Charles F. LaBounty,. assistant machine foreman and assistant brass foreman in the north side shops, Springfield, was born on January 14, 1871, at Murphysboro, Jackson county, Illinois. He is, a son of Alfred F. LaBounty, a native of the city of Paris, France, from which place he was brought to Canada as a child, and he was reared to manhood at Rochester, New York. His parents died when he was a small boy, but he managed to secure a practical education and get a start in life, engaging in the dairy and cheese business in New York state, also engaged in mercantile pursuits, operating for a number of years a large store near Rochester. He subsequently removed to Murphysboro, Illinois, where he continued in mercantile pursuits, then came to Willow Springs, Missouri, and engaged in the brick manufacturing business for himself until his death in 1893, at the age of sixty years. He was a successful business man, doing well in whatever line he engaged in. Politically, he was a Democrat. Fraternally, he belonged to the Masonic Order, and he was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. The mother of the subject of this sketch was known in her maidenhood as Melissa Bower, a representative of an old Knickerbocker family of New York. She was a daughter of Harvey Bower. Her death occurred November 3, 1914, at Los Angeles, California, at the age of seventy-three years. Three children were born to Alfred F. LaBounty and wife, namely: Cora married Henry Balfour, a lawyer of Jonesboro, Arkansas; Hattie, who took care of her mother in her declining years, married H. A. Ismond, formerly a locomotive engineer on the Mobile and Ohio railroad, but is now living in retirement in Los Angeles; and Charles F., of this sketch. The subject of this sketch received his education in the common schools, but left school when sixteen years old, and he began his railroad career when a small boy. He first went to work for the Missouri, Pacific at St. Louis as machinist apprentice, and after serving out his time in this capacity he left that city as journeyman in 1890, and went to Pine Bluff, Arkansas, as machinist with the Cotton Belt road, remaining there nine or ten months, then returned to St. Louis and resumed his old position with the Missouri Pacific, later was promoted from machinist to foreman, which position he held two years. He has worked for the Missouri Pacific at various times for a period of fifteen or sixteen years. Some time he worked for the Pneumatic House Cleaning Company in St. Louis; this firm manufactured chairs, and Mr. LaBounty was the first man that ever assembled one of the firm's famous chairs. In 1902 our subject went to El Paso, Texas, where he worked as machinist for the Southern Pacific Railroad Company for two years. In October, 1904, he began working in the north side Frisco shops, Springfield, Missouri, as machinist, later being promoted to assistant machinist foreman, which position he now holds, having fifteen men under his direction; he is also assistant foreman of the brass department in the same shops, and his two-fold duties keep him busy but, being a man of industry and good executive ability he discharges the duties devolved upon him in a manner that is highly pleasing to his employers. He is an expert in his line and has kept well up-to-date in the same. Mr. LaBounty was married in 1893 to Emma Grassnian, a daughter of John and Elsie (Grundum) Grassman, of St. Louis. To this union one child has been born--Elise LaBounty, who was educated in the ward and high schools, and is now teaching in the Robberson school, Springfield; she is also musically inclined and is organist at St. John's Episcopal church. Politically, Mr. LaBounty is a Republican. Fraternally, he belongs to the Order of Eagles, Knights and Ladies of Security Loyal Order of Moose, and was formerly a member of the Knights of Pythias. He is a member of St. John's Episcopal church, and sang in the choir there many years. He owns a comfortable home on Clay street. Mr. LaBounty has found time during his work-a-day life to develop a natural esthetic nature. He has become a well-informed man along general lines by wide home reading. He has always been a great lover of floriculture and has a practical knowledge of botany. He has a small hothouse on the rear of his lot at 1320 Clay street, thirty-two by twelve feet, and he devotes his spare time to the culture of flowers, now making a specialty of asters and dahlias. Courteous and genial, he is a pleasant gentleman to meet. RANSOM S. LAFOLLETTE. Some farmers seem to forget that a worn soil is a hungry soil whose breathing is difficult because its organic matter is exhausted, and whose natural mineral elements of plant food have been depleted by constant cropping--a soil that does not furnish a suitable home for the manufacturing bacteria a soil that constantly pleads through its stunted, scrawny, half-nourished plant growth, for material with which to satisfy its hunger, and from which its bacteria may manufacture food for the support of its vegetation. One hundred bushels per acre crops are never grown on such soil, and a resort to stimulants in the form of so-called "complete fertilizers" only hastens land ruin. These things are well understood by Ransom S. LaFol1ette, a farmer of Pond Creek township, Greene county, and he has been careful to prevent his soil from becoming thin by proper rotation and fertilization and therefore his productive and well-kept place yields abundant harvest annually. Mr. LaFollette was born on June 28, 1861, in Christian county, Missouri. He is a son of Amos M. Lafollette, who was born on March 22, 1833, in Tennessee, from which state he emigrated with his parents to Greene county, Missouri, in an early day. He grew up on the farm and received a limited education in the rural schools. After spending his boyhood days on his father's farm he began life for himself by entering forty acres of land from the government in Christian county, which he cleared and improved in a general way. When the Civil war came on he cast his lot with the Federal army, soon after the outbreak of hostilities, being a private in the Eighth Missouri Cavalry. He proved to be a gallant soldier and was promoted to the rank of corporal. He was attacked by the measles and a fever from which he had not fully recovered when he joined his regiment in a march in Arkansas, during which he took cold which resulted in his death at Devall Bluff, that state, September 1, 1863. On September 9, 1860, he had married Nancy E. Blades, a daughter of R. D. Blades, Sr. She was born on August 2, 1843, in Greene county, Missouri, and her death occurred on February 25, 1863. Thus these parents died in early life within a few months of each other, thereby leaving two small children orphans, namely: Ransom S., of this sketch; and Samuel M., who lives in Greene county on a farm. The father was a Republican, and belonged to the Methodist Episcopal church. When eighteen months old Ransom S. LaFollette was taken into the home of his Grandfather Blades where he grew to manhood and remained until reaching his majority. He received his education in the common schools of Greene county. He began life for himself by renting one of his grandfather's farms, which he operated two years, then rented another place for a year. His grandfather gave him and his brother fifty-five acres, which they operated in partnership until our subject bought the interest of his brother, and he lived on this place for seventeen years, when he sold out and moved to his present farm of one hundred and twenty acres, which he has placed under excellent improvements and he has a good home. He carries on general farming and stock raising. Mr. Lafollette was married on October 1, 1882, to Sophronia Fountain, who was born in 1858 at Granby, Newton county, Missouri. She grew up on a farm and received a common school education. When a young man Mr. Fountain learned the blacksmith's trade which he followed a number of years, but devoted his later life to farming. Politically, he was a Republican, and he belonged to the Missionary Baptist church. His death occurred on March 1, 1883. His wife, who was Sarah Crickmur before her marriage, died on July 1, 1902, having survived him nearly twenty years. Seven children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. LaFollette, namely: One died in infancy; Ella married C. T. Dean and they live on a farm in northwestern Kansas; Mattie is the wife of R. R. Brown and they live on a farm in Greene county; Florence is the wife of Joe Bell, a farmer of northwestern Kansas; Marion H. is at home; Pearl is teaching school in Pond Creek township, this county; Grace is attending high school in Billings. Politically, Mr. LaFollette is a Republican and has long been more or less active in the work of the party in his community. For a period of six years he filled very ably and successfully the office of justice of the peace in Pond Creek township. Fraternally, he is a member of the Woodmen lodge at Billings. He belongs to the Methodist Protestant church, in which he has been a director at different times. JOHN M. LANE. Successful farming calls for the best of judgment. It means good crops, good live stock well fed and handled, and a thoroughly balanced business in every way. John M. Lane, a farmer of Jackson township, Greene county, seems to know what constitutes success in agriculture and is therefore making a good living on the place where he has been privileged to spend his entire life. That he knows what to do and when to do it is evidenced from the fact that this farm is today as productive as it was when it first came into possession of the Lane family over a half century ago. Mr. Lane was born on the home place in the township and county above mentioned, September 8, 1860. He is a son of William and Sarah (Rudde) Lane. The father was born in Tennessee on a farm and there he was reared and was educated in the rural schools in his native community. He came to Missouri when a young man, and located in Greene county at an early day. When the war between the North and South began he cast his lot with, the Union army, as first lieutenant in Company Seventy-second Missouri Volunteer Infantry, and he proved to be a brave and efficient soldier. He fought in the battle of Springfield, January 8, 1863, in which he was gallantly engaged in defending the city from Marmaduke's raiders when he was severely wounded from the effects of which he died eleven days later. During the gold fever days of the early fifties he had made two trips across the great western plains to California, driving a herd of cattle to the West. He secured a farm of two hundred and sixty-five acres in Greene county and was a man of much industry. His wife vas born in Caswell county, North Carolina, and her parents brought her from that state to Greene county, Missouri, when she was a young girl and here she grew up on a farm and received her education in the common schools. After the death of her husband she managed the home farm until her marriage to John McCabe. Her death occurred in 1889 on the homestead. She gave thirty acres for the town site of Stafford. She was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. Her father, Joseph Rudde, was a large slave owner in the early days and he settled the place where our subject now lives. To William Lane and wife three children were born, namely: Thomas, deceased; John M. of this sketch; and Edward, of Kansas City. John M. Lane was reared on the home farm and attended the neighborhood schools. He has never left the homestead and owns one hundred and fifty-five acres of the same, which he has kept well cultivated and well improved, and although the land has been in the Lane family for seventy-five years it has been so carefully tilled and handled that it is still productive and more valuable than ever before. General farm products and live stock are raised. Mr Lane was married in 1888 to Tobiatha Winn, which union resulted in the birth of three children, namely: Sadie R., William and Mrs. Jane Hessie. The wife and mother passed away in 1898. She was a daughter of Richard M. and Martha Winn. Our subject subsequently married Mrs. Allie (Fitch) Lane, widow of his deceased brother. By this second union one child has been born, Joe. By her first marriage the second Mrs. Lane became the mother of five children, namely: James, Richard, Blue is teaching school in Strafford; Thomas, and John. Politically, Mr. Lane is a Republican. His wife is a member of the Baptist church. JOHN LANGSFORD. Perhaps two-thirds of the citizens of Springfield and Greene county are of English descent, but the percentage born in the British Isles is comparatively small. There is no marked difference--a slight peculiarity in accent and speech, maybe, is about all, and some words mean to an Englishman something a little different to what they may convey to the American, but they are not very many; and thus being so closely related in so many respects, so nearly resembling each other from a physical standpoint and our aims being about the same, it is well that the peoples of these, the two greatest nations on the face of the globe, should be friends and mix freely. John Langsford, city sewer inspector of Springfield, is one of the Britons who has cast his lot with the people of Greene county. He was born in the western part of England June 24, 1862. He is a son of William and Mary Ann (Oliver) Langsford, both natives of England, the father's birth occurring in 1825. They both grew to maturity and received good educations in their native land, were married there and there spent their lives. The mother died when our subject was a small boy, about fifty years ago, after which the father married again, and he and his last wife have both been deceased some time. William Langsford was for many years connected with a great mining company for which he had charge of sinking shafts in northern England. His family consisted of three children, namely: Jane Ann, deceased; Charles, deceased; and John, of this review. John Langsford was but a boy when he immigrated to the United States, and he received a meager schooling in the common schools of both countries, but educated himself for the most part. He located in Calumet, Houghton county, Michigan, where he worked for a copper mining company for a period of eighteen years, having had charge of the sinking of shafts, in fact, he continued to reside in Calumet for a period of about thirty years during which he was always engaged in the mining business, the various phases of which he knew thoroughly and was enabled thereby to make a good livelihood. In 1902 he left the Wolverine state and came to Joplin, Missouri, in the lead and zinc mining district, and for some time had charge of two mines there, however, the following year he came to Springfield and took charge of the zinc mines near this city, remaining in this line of work until three years ago. In 1912 he was appointed sewer inspector of Springfield, which position he still holds, the duties of which he has discharged in a manner highly creditable to himself and to the satisfaction of all concerned. Mr. Langsford was married on May 29, 1884, in Michigan, to Edith Harry, a native of England, from which country she emigrated with her parents to America when eight years of age. She is a daughter of Robert and Margaret (Trewella) Harry. The father was a mine operator. His death occurred some years ago, but Mrs. Harry is living in Calumet, Michigan. The wife of our subject grew to womanhood in Michigan and there received a common school education. Five children, all living at this writing, have been born to Mr. an Mrs. Langsford, named as follows: Joshua, born October 19, 1886, lives in Iowa City, Kansas, where he is superintendent of the United Iron Works, is married to Nina Potter and they have one child, Robert; Clara, born on April 17, 1888, lives at home; Margaret, born on May 27, 1891, is teaching school and lives at home; Lester R. born on June 2, 1895, is a clerk in the Frisco offices in Springfield, and lives at home; John M., born on December 22, 1910. Politically, Mr. Langsford votes independently. Fraternally, he is a member of the Masonic Order, Knights Templars, and the Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. He and his family are members of the Grace Methodist Episcopal church on South street. JACKSON P. C. LANGSTON. A man like Jackson P. C. Langston, farmer of Jackson township, Greene county, is deserving of a great deal of credit, who, thrown upon his own resources at a tender age, and in a number of ways handicapped for the battle of life, has, nevertheless, forged ahead and kept the even, tenor of his way until he is not only regarded as a successful farmer but as a good citizen in every respect. Mr. Langston was born in Christian county, Missouri, October 11, 1856 near the town of Linden. He is a son of George W. and Elizabeth (Hayden) Langston, the father born near Nashville, Tennessee, in 1836, and the mother was born near Bowling Green, Kentucky. George W. Langston was brought by his parents to Greene county, Missouri, when a small child and here he grew to manhood on a farm and received a common school education. His wife was but a child when she accompanied her parents from the Blue Grass state to this county, and here she grew up on a farm and was educated in the district schools, and here they were, married in 1855. Mr. Langston worked on the farm when young and later handled a great deal of live stock and was a good business man. While driving cattle, to St. Louis at the age of twenty-three years he was seized with an illness and returned home and died on April 12, 1858. His widow later married John P. Simpson, but she, too was fated to fill an early grave. She left two children, Jackson P. C., of this sketch, and a daughter by her last marriage, Mrs. Sarah Comstock. The subject of this sketch was but a child when he lost his parents, and he was reared by his grandparents, having been six years old when taken into their home. He grew up on the farm, learned to work there, and was given the advantages of a fairly good education. He remained with his grandparents until a young man, then began life for himself by renting different farms and thereby got a start. In 1879 he bought a farm near Strafford, Greene county, which he later sold and bought another farm west of that town. Selling it, he purchased the place where he now resides, owning eighty acres of productive land, which he keeps well tilled and well improved and on which is to be found a cozy cottage and convenient outhouses; in fact, he built his own modern home and made practically all the improvements now seen on the place. He has lived in Jackson township forty-five years. He handles a great deal of live stock from year to year. Mr. Langston was married in 1877 to Sophronia Comstock, who was born in Tennessee, in March, 1858. She was brought to Greene county, Missouri, when small and was reared here on a farm, that of her parents, and attended the rural schools. She is a daughter of Luther B. and Nancy (Ferguson) Comstock, both now deceased. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Langston, namely: Hettie, who was the wife of A. B. Grier, now deceased; Arby J. lives 'in Springfield; Mrs. Mazie Sweetin lives in Cuba, Missouri; Inez is single and at home with her parents. Politically, Mr. Langston is active in Republican affairs. He served very acceptably as deputy sheriff of Greene county for two years, was also constable at Stafford for a period of six years, and he was a committeeman from Jackson township for twelve years. In all three capacities he proved faithful, alert and energetic and was highly praised by his fellow partisans. BERT S. LEE. One of the most conspicuous figures in the commercial circles of Springfield and Greene county of the present generation is Bert S. Lee, a man actively identified with the business and industrial interests of this section of the Ozarks and for a number of years widely known as one of the leading members of the Masonic Order in Missouri. Equally noted as a citizen whose useful career has conferred credit upon the community and whose marked abilities and stirring qualities have won for him much more than local repute, he holds today distinctive precedence as one of the most progressive and successful men that ever inaugurated and carried to satisfactory termination large and important undertakings in this locality. Strong mental powers, invincible courage and a determined purpose that hesitate at no opposition have so entered into his composition as to render him a dominant factor in the business world and a leader of men in notable enterprises. He is essentially a man of affairs --sound of judgment and far-seeing in what he undertakes, and every enterprise to which he has addressed himself has resulted in a large measure of material success. Mr. Lee was born in Marshfield, Webster county, Missouri, October 30, 1871. He is a son of Joshua L. and Cynthia (Perry) Lee. Bert S. Lee removed to Springfield during his youthful period, and there attained man's estate and made it his permanent residence. Educational advantages were obtained in the public schools and Drury College in that city. He grew and expanded with the environment, becoming identified strongly with the business, social and moral interests of the community to which he contributes energy, fellowship and exemplification of those influences which tend toward the elevation of erring humanity. Endowed with executive ability in managing business affairs, he was entrusted by the Hobart-Lee Tie Company with the handling of its finances in the position of secretary and treasurer, which position he as held continuously since its organization in 1891, having been one of the potent factors in building up this firm, which ranks with the leading firms of its kind in the Southwest, handling large quantities of railroad supplies, especially ties, for the Frisco system. For several years he has been a director of the Springfield Grocery Company, one of the largest and best known wholesale grocery houses of southwest Missouri, and is now president of the corporation and is managing its affairs in an able and eminently satisfactory manner. Interested with the Branson Town Company and the Arkansas Mining and Mercantile Company, he is the secretary and treasurer of each. Mr. Lee was married on December 27, 1893, to Mabelle Lingsweiler, a daughter of John G. and Emma R. (Ostrander) Lingsweiler, a prominent family of Lebanon, Missouri. The union of Mr. and Mrs. Lee has been graced by the birth of five children, named as follow: John Lawrence, Francis Theodore, Raymond Fitshugh, Mabelle Lucille and Richard Albert. They are receiving excellent educational advantages and are all youngsters of much promise. Politically, Mr. Lee is a Democrat and is loyal in the support and work of that party, and yet not with ambition to become a political leader. While not the sport of common parlance, he has sporting proclivities growing out of his social nature, and holds membership in the James River Hunting and Fishing Club, the Country Club, the Springfield Club, and the Young Men's Business Club. He is president of the Springfield Chapter of the Sons of the American Revolution. Identified with the Young Men's Christian Association of Springfield, he is one of the directors, president of the board and a trustee of the association. When the energetic and enthusiastic members of the Masonic Fraternity of his city determined to provide a substantial meeting place in and by the erection of a splendid temple building, he was designated on the first committee of arrangement and plans, and became one of the board of directors of the association and its treasurer. In religious matters he is equally active, being a member of St. Paul's Methodist Episcopal church, South; he has for over fifteen years conducted its Sunday school as superintendent; he is one of the trustees of the church and chairman of the finance committee of the board of stewards. Before this municipality of affairs all had inception Mr. Lee became interested in Freemasonry and in Sparta Lodge No. 296, located at Sparta in Christian county, on March 31, 1893,he was made a Master Mason. Transferring membership to Gate of the Temple Lodge No. 422 of Springfield, he served as worshipful master in 1899, 1900, and 1907. Since 1901 he has been district lecturer of his Masonic district, and from 1904, president of the Masonic Board of Relief of Springfield. In Vincil Chapter No. 110, Royal Arch Masons, on September 24, 1897, he was exalted to the Royal Arch degree, and served it as high priest in 1901 and 1908. On April 24, 1901 he was anointed, consecrated and set apart to the Holy Order of High Priesthood at the grand convention held in the city of St. Louis. He serves the Grand Chapter as chairman of important committees and is the representative of Tennessee near the Grand Chapter of Missouri. At the resuscitation of Zabud Council No. 25 of the city of Springfield, he was one of the few who were ready to extend a helping hand, petitioned for its instruction, and on May 17, 1904, received the degrees of Royal and Select Master. Devoting himself to its interests, he was elected thrice illustrious master in the years 1905, 1906 and 1907, and his fidelity, energy and enthusiasm contributed largely toward the enviable condition which Zabud has attained among the councils of the state. In April, 1905, he was appointed grand marshal, and was regularly advanced, becoming grand master in April, 1910. His record in that important position shows that he accomplished much for the propagation of the Cryptic system. At the triennial assembly of the General Grand Council of Royal and Select Masters of the United States of America, held in Indianapolis, Indiana, September 9, 1912, he was honored by his companions by being elected to the position of general grand steward of the United States. The Grand jurisdiction of Rhode Island honored him with a. commission as its representative near the Grand Council of Missouri. The orders of Christian Knighthood were conferred upon him on November 4, 1897, in St. John's Commandery No. 20, Knights Templars, stationed at Springfield, and in 1902 he was elected its commander. In the Grand Commandery of Knights Templars of the State of Missouri, in April, 1904, he was appointed grand warder, subsequently elected by the suffrage of his fraters, he served in every station in the line except one and became grand commander in May, 1911, closing the year of service at Cape Girardeau, May 29, 1912. That it was strenuous the record shows, and if no other tablet ever appears distinctively many will be found reproduced by memory to consciousness for courteous treatment under his command. A commission from Virginia authorizes him to respond for that Templar jurisdiction in the Grand Commandery of Missouri. In 1907, St. Andrew Conclave No. 11 of Joplin, created him a Knight of the Red Cross of Constantine and appendant orders. He attained the thirty-second degree of the Ancient and Accepted Scottish Rite in 1906 by Joplin Consistory No. 3. He is a Noble of the Mystic Shrine, postulated in 1903 to Abou-Ben-Adhem Temple of Springfield. Thus is portrayed, in part at least, the accomplishment of a busy man. It was attained through the solving of an economic problem: The art by which human needs and comforts are applied. The systematic use of time, free to everybody, but frequently wasted by injudicious application and the further fact that the average possessor is not stimulated to an economy of time by necessity arising through desire to make it count in weight and power as it passes to the wheel. Prompt, reliable and responsible, he maintains dignity, being genial, affable and courteous, none have difficulty in approach; careful of his antagonisms, he preserves friendships. Of strong religious inclination, he has faith in things not perceived, and is affected morally somewhat after the philosophy of Kant, "Act so that the maxim of thy will can likewise be valid as a principle of universal legislation." Mr. Lee is yet young, has barely passed the inception of usefulness to his fellows. His methods demonstrated contain the elements which point to a successful culmination of the divine purpose in the bestowal of life, and the future years will evidently find his advancement further in paths of honor and righteousness as well as usefulness. These and more are due his conscientious course and one is justified in employing the lines of Tennyson: "We will do him No customary honor; since the knight Came not to us, of us to claim the prize Ourselves will send it after." JOSEPH W. LEEDY. His life-long residence in Greene county, his upright life and mature judgment, and the many services he rendered made the name of the late Joseph W. Leedy, for thirty years a leading merchant of Springfield, a synonym for character and worth. One could not contemplate the life record of such a man without gaining therefrom many helpful hints and forming at the same time a very high opinion of the individual, for his affable nature, charitable impulses and benevolent work, extending over a period of years, resulted in incalculable good and stamped him as a whole-souled man and would alone excite the admiration of all, especially of the contemplative turn of mind, for his services to his fellow men came not from a desire to win the plaudits of the world or from any ulterior motive, but merely out of an altruistic nature and a spirit of profound human sympathy. It is scarcely necessary to say that in the inviolable precincts of an ideal home life the true nobility of Mr. Leedy found perfect apotheosis, but there is no desire in this connection to lift the sacred veil of the fireside circle. When he was summoned to close his eyes on earthly scenes when in the zenith of his material success and usefulness to society, all felt that a good man had been called away who could not well be spared. Mr. Leedy was born on a farm near Springfield, Missouri, March 6, 1857. He was a son of A. G. and Mary (Maiden) Leedy, both natives of Virginia, of excellent southern blood. They spent their early lives in the Old Dominion and removed to Greene county, Missouri in early pioneer times and here became widely and favorably known for many years ranking among the leading agriculturists of the county. These parents lived to advanced ages, the mother having survived her son, Joseph W., and died at the age of eighty-four. Their family consisted of six children, namely: Joseph W., of this sketch; Annie married H. L. Ennis (deceased), of Chicago, and to them seven children were born; John is a carpenter and builder of Springfield; Mary married John Flannigan of Carthage, Missouri, and they have two children; Ella married George Booth, an attorney of Webb City, Missouri, and they have one son, Hunter; Mrs. Virginia Curtis who died in 1912. Joseph W. Leedy grew to manhood in Springfield, where his family had come when he was seven years of age, and he received a good practical education in the schools of Springfield, which was later greatly supplemented by contact with the business world and by home reading on a general scale. He had a decided natural bent for mercantile pursuits, and this was his vocation in Springfield for a period of thirty years, having started here when but a boy, and eight years of this period he conducted a large dry goods store at 225-227 East Commercial street, on his own account. Here he maintained a large and well stocked store, modern in every respect and managed under a superb system, employing a number of assistants, and many of his hundreds of customers came from remote parts of the county, for they knew they would always receive honest and courteous treatment here. By his indomitable energy, close application and integrity he built up one of the best known and leading dry goods businesses in the county, and a comfortable fortune resulted from his efforts. The business is still carried on along the lines which, he inaugurated, under the name of the Leedy Dry Goods & Company of which Mrs. Essie Leedy, a lady of rare executive ability and foresight is the leading spirit and she is making a pronounced success of the same. Mr. and Mrs. Leedy first met in a store where they were both clerking, and their happy and harmonious domestic life began when their marriage nuptials were celebrated on January 3, 1903. She was known in her maidenhood as Essie Carter, and was born and reared on a farm near Springfield and received a good education in the local schools. She is a daughter of Hazen Blanchard and Elizabeth (Banfield) Carter, the former now deceased, but the mother survives; she lives on the old homestead two miles north of Springfield. Mr. Carter was a highly respected farmer, owning a farm two miles from Springfield. His family consisted of seven children, four sons and three daughters, namely: Sterling, Sherman, Blanchard, Emmett, Janie, Essie and Etta. The union of Mr. and Mrs. Leedy was blessed by the birth of one child, Langdon Lee Leedy, whose birth occurred May 5, 1910 and he is a bright and promising child. Mrs. Leedy has a beautiful home on North Grant street. Politically, Mr. Leedy was a Republican. He attended the Christian church. He belonged to no secret orders from choice as his whole thought and attention were given to his family and home outside of business hours. Mr. Leedy was summoned suddenly to his eternal rest on July 1913, at the early age of fifty-six years. His death will long be deplored by a host of warm friends and admirers. GEORGE LEEPER. The honored subject of this sketch is a representative of one of the pioneer families of Greene county and is personally identified with the industrial interests of this section of the state where he has spent his life, being the owner of a fine farming property in Walnut Grove township. Mr. Leeper believes in adopting new and modern methods of agriculture in so far as they are applicable to local conditions and because of his progressiveness, industry and close application he is regarded as one of the substantial farmers and stock men in this locality, the interests of which he has ever had at heart and where he has been contented to spend his life. George Leeper was born on January 6, 1866, in Walnut Grove township, Greene county, and he is a son of Francis and Elmina (Burney) Leeper. The father was born in Hawkins county, Tennessee, March 20, 1820, and there he spent his boyhood days, being fourteen years of age when, in 1834, he removed with his father, Hugh Leeper (also a native of east Tennessee) to Greene county, Missouri. They made the long overland journey direct to Walnut Grove township, and settled about two miles south of our subject's present farm, and were thus among the early pioneers here. They cleared and developed a farm from the wilderness and became well established and well known. The parents of our subject were married here in 1843 and soon thereafter moved to Dade county where they lived on a farm until 1847, in which year they returned to Green county and purchased a farm of two hundred and eighty-five acres, near which our subject's farm is now located, and here Francis Leeper engaged in general farming in a most highly satisfactory manner until his death, which occurred on December 28, 1909, when nearly ninety years of age. Politically, he was a Democrat, and religiously was a member of the Christian church at Walnut Grove. He was a man of fine character, neighborly, hospitable, public-spirited and was highly esteemed by all with whom he came in contact. His wife, Elmina Burney, was a native of North Carolina, where her birth occurred on December 21, 1824, and she spent her early girlhood in her native state, removing with her parents to Greene county, Missouri, in the spring of 1835, the family locating on a farm near Ash Grove and her father was one of the prominent pioneers of this locality. She is still living, being now nearly ninety years of age, and makes her home with her son, the subject of this sketch. She is a grand old lady of the true Southern type--gentle, kind and of fine Christian character. She is afflicted with blindness in her old age, but bears her lot patiently. She is a daughter of Joshua and Jane (Stafford) Burney. She often recalls that long, rough journey overland from the old Tar state more than three-quarters of a century ago. To Francis Leeper and wife seven children were born, three of whom died in infancy, those who grew up being Mrs. Elizabeth Gilliland, who died in November, 1909; Hugh, who is a resident of the town of Mary, North Dakota; Mrs. Ebanida Martin, who lives in Walnut Grove; and George, of this sketch. George Leeper spent his boyhood days on the home farm, in fact, has remained on the same nearly all his life, and has always followed general farming and raising live stock. He received his education in the district schools, of his township. He now owns one hundred and twenty-nine acres which he farms efficiently, and on which is to be seen an excellent group of buildings. Mr. Leeper was married on September 10, 1891, to Flora Edmonson, who was born near Walnut Grove, Greene county, where she was reared to womanhood and was educated. She is a daughter of Fide and Martha (Potter) Edmonson. The father was born in this vicinity also, in 1840. He is a son of Allen and Polly Edmonson, who were very early settlers of Walnut Grove township, clearing and developing a farm here when the country was sparsely settled, and here Fide Edmonson grew to manhoood and early in life began farming which has been his life work. He continued to reside in his native locality until several years ago when he removed to Polk county in different parts of which he has lived, being now practically retired owing to his advanced age and is residing near Red Top, Missouri. His wife was born and reared in Kentucky. They became the parents of the following children: Flora, Alonzo, Walton E. (deceased); Dudley, Edward, Dollie, Bettie and Rufus. The union of Mr. and Mrs. Leeper has been without issue. Politically, Mr. Leeper is a Democrat. Fraternally, he belongs to the Masonic Order at Walnut Grove, the old Sullivan Lodge No 7. He and his wife are members of the Baptist church at Walnut Grove, in which she takes an active part, especially in Sunday school work. Mr. Leeper is a home man, a hard worker and a good citizen. JOHN HENRY LEHR. John Henry Lehr, now living in honorable retirement in his comfortable home on East Elm street, Springfield, is worthy of mention in the pages of a volume of the province of the one in hand for various reasons, not the least of which is the fact that he is one of the loyal sons of the North who offered his services and his life, if need be, to perpetuate the Union, during its greatest crisis, a half century ago. He has spent his active life principally as a carpenter, builder and agriculturist, and, being a persistent worker and doing his work thoroughly and well, he accumulated a competency for his declining years and is now spending his days quietly. Mr. Lehr, as the name indicates, is of German descent, and of an Ohio, family, his birth having occurred near Tuscarawas, in the county of that name, in the state of Ohio, December 9, 1845. He is a son of Michael and Catherine (Gnagie) Lehr. Michael Lehr was born in Oldenbach, Germany, in June, 1809, and there he grew to manhood and received his education. When twenty years of age he immigrated to the United States and located in Tuscarawas county, Ohio, where he worked at his trade of cabinet maker which he had learned in the old country. He was an expert workman and was always busy. Catherine Gnagie was also born in Oldenbach, Germany, and there grew up and was educated, and there she and Mr. Lehr were married in 1828, and for a wedding trip they came to America. These parents have long been deceased. John Henry Lehr grew to manhood in his native county in the Buckeye state and there he assisted his father with the general work on the farm. He received his education in the common schools of his day, and when the Civil war came on he enlisted for service with the National troops, although he was but sixteen years of age, but, according to his comrades he proved to be as good and faithful a soldier as his older companions in his regiment. It was on August 6, 1862, that he enlisted in Company G, Ninety-Eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He saw much hard service and participated in numerous important engagements, including the battles of Perryville, Kentucky, Chickamauga, Missionary Ridge, Resaca, Peach Tree Creek, Atlanta, and from that city marched with Sherman to the sea at Savannah, thence up through the Carolinas, and fought at the battle of Bentonville. He was never sick, captured or wounded, and was with his regiment every day, and never shirked his duty no matter how dangerous or arduous. He was commissioned corporal for his faithful service, and was so mustered out in June, 1865, after he had marched in the grand review in Washington City. He was honorably discharged and returned to his home in Ohio where he continued farming until 1869 when he came to Livingston county, Missouri, where he worked at the carpenter's trade, and in 1870 purchased land there and resumed farming which he carried on with his usual success until 1906 when, on account of failing health, he sold his farm and went to Colorado Springs, Colorado, where he remained three months, then came to Springfield, Missouri, retired from active life and has since made his home here. Mr. Lehr was married in December, 1870, to Mary Umphrey, a native of Illinois. Her death occurred in 1901. To this union five children were born, namely: Oscar V. lives in Chillicothe, Missouri; Clay E. is deceased; Margaret E. is the wife of A. D. Miller, of Gault, Missouri; Esther D. is the wife of Dr. L. Hopper, of Ft. Scott, Kansas; Grace E. is the wife of H. L. Atherton, of Oklahoma City. Mr. Lehr was again married in December, 1906, to Ellen Affolter, of Tuscarawas, Ohio, where her birth occurred on August 26, 1876. She is a daughter of Jacob and Elizabeth Affolter. The father was a soldier in the Fifty-fifth Ohio Volunteer Infantry during the Civil war, also served in a battery. Mrs. Lehr grew to womanhood and was educated in her native vicinity. Politically, Mr. Lehr is a Republican. He belongs to the Grand Army of the Republic, and the Grace Methodist Episcopal church. LEVY-WOLF DRY GOODS COMPANY. One of the best known progressive mercantile establishments in Springfield is the Levy-Wolf Dry Goods Company, located in the southeast corner of the Public Square. This business was founded here by Mr. M. Levy twenty-seven years ago, under the firm name of the Model Dry Goods Company, and was operated under that name until January, 1914, when the incorporation of the Levy-Wolf Dry Goods Company was effected, with increased capital stock, to take over the business, which had steadily grown during the many years of its existence to be one of the largest distributors of exclusive dry goods, millinery and women's ready-to-wear apparel in southwestern Missouri, and now has a force of sixty employees and counts among its patrons the best. families of Springfield and surrounding counties. This store, which is still known as "The Model," has made a specialty of goods of quality and has won for itself an enviable reputation for dependability of its merchandise and for fairness and integrity in its dealings. Mr. M. Levy before coming to Springfield was engaged in the mercantile business in Arrow Rock and Marshall in Saline county, this state, for twenty-one years, from 1866 to 1887, where he met with a very reasonable degree of success, and is further said to have had more personal friends than any man who had ever been engaged in business in that section, and even to this day none of the old-timers of Saline county visit Springfield without looking him up. Mr. Levy has always been identified with every enterprise for the advancement and good of Springfield, and has likewise taken an active interest in all charitable and philanthropic affairs. The Levy-Wolf Dry Goods Company is capitalized for fifty thousand dollars, fully paid up, and the destinies of the company are success fully directed by the following officers: M. Levy, president; Ignace Glaser, vice-president; Sol R. Wolf, secretary and manager, I. R. Levy, treasurer. The building which for the past fourteen years has housed this progressive firm was entirely remodeled a few years ago, into an attractive convenient and modernly appointed store, which with its late style recess show windows would be a credit to any city. The first floor is devoted to staple and fancy dry goods, notions and toilet requisites; the second floor is given over entirely to the women's ready-to-wear department, and the third floor is very handsomely furnished for the departments of millinery and dressmaking. The latter department, being one of the principal features of the store, has a clientele while not large in numbers practically extends from Maine to California, and gives the store the distinction of almost a national reputation. It is such institutions that have contributed to the making of a greater Springfield. AZARIAH WILLIAM LINCOLN. One of the best known members of the Greene county bar is Azariah William Lincoln, who has been practicing law in Springfield for thirty years, during which time he has met with continued success and has kept well abreast of the times in his profession. Concerning the sincerity of purpose, the unquestioned probity and uprightness of conduct and character, the ability and honesty of Mr. Lincoln, it may be said, they are as well known and recognized as his name. It occurs occasionally that a peculiar accent accompanies the declaration when it is said of anyone, that he is honest, as if to impart a whisper of suggestion that the quality is rare or exotic. In its application to men in responsible public position it is not true; the reverse of it is. In its application to lawyers, as a body, which is not infrequently done, it is false; the reverse of it is true. Both Mr. Lincoln and his son, Harold T. Lincoln, a rising young lawyer, are known to be advocates of strict honesty in all relations of life, and this has been one main secrets of their success. Azariah W. Lincoln was born in Iowa county, Wisconsin, September 25, 1851. He is a son of Thomas Lincoln, a native of Pennsylvania, who went to Wisconsin with his parents when a child, and after his maturity he removed to Ohio in 1862, and engaged in farming. His death occurred in May, 1890. He was a son of Azariah Lincoln, who died in Ohio in the early sixties. Mr. Lincoln, of this review, received his education in the common schools of Ohio and the Ohio Wesleyan University at Delaware, Ohio, from which institution he was graduated. He began studying law with James E. Wright, of Columbus, Ohio, and was admitted to the bar in 1881, before the supreme court of that state, but instead of devoting his attention to practice he engaged in educational work, was elected county superintendent of schools, which responsible position he held for three years with satisfaction to all concerned. He then came to Springfield, Missouri, in 1884, and began the practice of law, which he has continued to the present time, and has been very successful all along the line and ranked among the leaders of the bar here from the first. He was judge of the probate court from 1887 to 1895, and was judge of the criminal court for two years. As a jurist he more than met the expectations of his friends and. discharged his duties in a manner that reflected much credit upon his ability and fidelity, his decisions being noted for their fairness and profound insight into the basic principles of jurisprudence, as well as his familiarity with the statutes. He is senior member of the firm of Lincoln & Lincoln, and with his son enjoys a large practice. In April, 1885, the marriage of Judge Lincoln occurred to Jennie M. Adams, a native of Mt. Gilead, Ohio, a daughter of Henry H. Adams, a merchant, who at present resides with his daughter, Mrs. Lincoln, in Springfield, Missouri. His wife was known in her maidenhood as Isabel U. Swaner. To the union of our subject and wife three sons were born--William Lincoln, born in Springfield, in January, 1887, was graduated from the local high school, later attending Drury College several terms; he married Pauline Burns in 1908; she is a daughter of F. M Burns, and to this union one child has been born, William Burns Lincoln, whose birth occurred in January, 1910. Harold Thomas Lincoln, second son of judge Lincoln and wife, was born in Springfield November 11, 1888. He was graduated from the Springfield high school and from the Columbia Law School in Ohio, and commenced the practice of his profession with his father in 1909, and he is regarded as one of the leaders of the younger generation of the Greene county bar. In December, 1911, he married Maggie Sims, and to, this union one daughter has been born, Margaret Lincoln. Harold T. Lincoln is a Republican. He was appointed city tax attorney, which position he held two years and was assistant prosecuting attorney of Greene county under James H. Mason. Urged by his friend, he was a candidate for city attorney in 1914, and his election was regarded from the first as most probable, since he is popular with all classes, and his record as a public servant in his former capacities was most commendable in every respect. Elwyn Russell Lincoln, youngest son of the Judge and wife, was born in Springfield, October 26, 1896, and died October 27, 1913. Mr. Lincoln is a Republican. He is a member of the Masonic order and the Improved Order of Red Men. Religiously he belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church. WILLIAM BURTS LINNEY. Those who are observing know that it is not a very rare thing in this favored land of ours for a man to achieve his ambition in the face of obstacles, accepting assistance from no one, or at least not depending upon others to bring them to the goal sought. William Burts Linney, a well-known and successful Springfield attorney is an example of one who has met and overcome in an admirable manner the obstacles that have threatened to thwart him in his laudable quest for the coveted heights of professional success. In early life he was apprised of the fact that the pathways of mortal men are beset with many things calculated to impede them in their race for material crowns; but he was also taught that the prize is always won by the deserving, persevering and patient. Mr. Linney was born on August 28, 1867, in Fort Worth, Texas. He is a son of William Carlyle Linney and Mary Ann (Kelso) Linney. The father was a soldier in the Confederate army under Gen. Sterling Price, and fought at the battles of Wilson's Creek, Pea Ridge, Lexington, Cabin Creek and others. At Cabin Creek his regiment captured, by the assistance of other troops, a Federal wagon train, taking valuable supplies. William Linney's brother had enlisted in the Union army about the same time of his enlistment in the Southern ranks. After the train was captured the baggage, clothing, provisions, etc., were divided among General Price's troops, and William Linney's allotted portion contained a suit-case in which he found a new pair of boots and a good suit of clothes. In the pocket of the coat several letters were found, addressed to John Linney, and thus he knew that he had come into possession of his brother's clothes. After the war was over the Linney brothers got together and verified this fact. William C. Linney was a native of Kentucky, but his wife was born in Missouri, to which state he removed with his parents when about two years old, the family locating in Grundy county in 1843, where they lived until 1861, when he moved to Ft. Worth, Texas, living there until 1867, when he, his wife and son returned to Grundy county, Missouri, living there until 1869, when he located at Clinton, Henry county, but not long thereafter removed to Joplin, this state, thence, in 1878, to Grundy county, Missouri, where their permanent home was established. William B. Linney received his primary education in the public schools of Joplin and the district schools of Grundy county. He assisted his father with the work on the farm in Grundy county, where the family led the plain life of a plain American people, the life which, in its apparently monotonous smoothness makes possible the development of good citizenship. During the winter months he attended the district schools in the vicinity of the home farm, until 1883, when he obtained a teacher's certificate. But he did not begin teaching then, securing a position as clerk in a general merchandise store at Grant City. He adopted a very simple rule at that time which has stood him in good stead in those greater undertakings later in life. That rule was to do every day's work thoroughly. Thus it was that his employer soon came to learn that the young man in his employ was to be trusted to do whatever was assigned him, with accuracy and complete fidelity to their interests. The goal of Mr. Linney's ambition was finally reached and he entered the law department of the University of Missouri, at Columbia, from which institution he was graduated on March 25, 1886. His ambition to be a lawyer did not spur him ahead so rapidly that he neglected or only half learned the preliminary details of the profession. He took care to study his forms, the verbiage and the principles of its constructions so that he might be able to apply the knowledge to future original work. The future seemed very bright to his imagination, and he had already begun to look back with pride at the progress he had made since the days of the Grant City store. Especially encouraging was the consciousness that every day he was acquiring in fuller measure the powers by which he had cleared away for himself thus far, and that, set in the right channels from the beginning those powers must ultimately bring success. On August 23, 1886, Mr. Linney was admitted to the bar of Grundy county by Hon. Gavon D. Burgess, at that time judge of the Grundy Circuit Court. He continued in the practice of his profession at Trenton, Missouri, until 1908, except the year 1894, when he was located at Joplin, in partnership with former Attorney-General Edward C. Crow, when he moved to Pryor, Oklahoma, where he was elected and served as cashier of the First National Bank of that place. It was said of him, "He filled faithfully and with conceded ability the position which industry and honorable ambition secured for him." In January, 1914, he located in Springfield, Missouri, where he has since been engaged in the practice of the law with very gratifying results. Mr. Linney was married on June 5, 1895, to Elenora Van Horn, a daughter of Robert F. and Margaret A. (Messerly) Van Horn, a well-known family of Webb City, Missouri. Mrs. Linney had the advantage of a good education. One child has been born to our subject and wife—Mary Margaret Linney, whose birth occurred on May 24, 1898. Politically, Mr. Linney is a Democrat. He is a thirty-second degree Mason, belonging to Indian Consistory at McAlester, Oklahoma; he is also a member of Bedouin Temple, Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine, at Muskogee, Oklahoma. He is also a member of the Knights of Pythias and the Woodmen of the World. He is a member of the Springfield Club and the Country Club. He and Mrs. Linney have made many friends since locating in this city and gained a high standing in the circles in which they move. CHARLES LEE LLOYD. One of Greene county's farmers who evidently saw long ago that mind is superior to matter is Charles Lee Lloyd, of Brookline township, for he has made and is making a pronounced success as a general farmer, not only producing good general crops but specializing also in fruits and breeding and raising a superior grade of live stock. He was born September 22, 1864, near Weston, Platte county, Missouri. He is a son of Manlius B. and Martha (Pence) Lloyd, who emigrated from near Georgetown, Scott county, Kentucky, about 1860, to Platte county. The paternal grandfather, Littleton Lloyd, was born near Roanoke, Virginia, and his wife, Naomi Burton, was born in Virginia. Their parents were from Scotland, having emigrated to America shortly after the Revolutionary war. Our subject has two brothers living and two who died in infancy; four sisters are living and three died in infancy. The brothers are: William Ernest a farmer of Brookline township, this county; Edgar B., a well known veterinary surgeon, lives at Brookline. The sisters are: Ollie, who married E. B. Boland and they live at Dallas, Texas; Fannie married F. M. Parson and they are now living in Brookline; Zadie married W. H. Pennington, of Springfield; Alta is single and lives in Dallas, Texas; Minnie married A. M. Crabb, of Stone county, Missouri, and she died in 1888; Eddie married W. T. Parsons, of Paragould, Arkansas, and she died in 1898. Her son, Clifford, now sixteen years old, is making his home with the subject of this sketch. Charles L. Lloyd was reared on the home farm in Platte county, and there he received his education in the common schools. He has always followed farming and dealing in live stock, starting out on his own account before he became of age. His present farm of one hundred and twenty acres in Brookline township is situated on the main highway between Springfield and Republic on one of the highest points in this section of the Ozarks, from which a commanding panorama may be had of the surrounding country for many miles, and the place is appropriately named "Highland Farm." His residence is an attractive eight-room house, surrounded by a fine grove of walnuts and elms, and his convenient and substantial out-buildings include two large barns, machine shop, garage and a concrete chicken house. No better farm buildings are to be found in the county, and everything about the place is well kept. Mr. Lloyd has become interested in fruit culture, showing decided preference for cherries, and has over one hundred trees just coming into bearing. He is a well known Shorthorn, cattle breeder and is also a breeder of a big type of Poland-China hogs, and is very successful with both, his fine stock being greatly admired by all interested in such, owing to their superior quality. He has frequently exhibited at various fairs, and has never failed to carry away the blue ribbons, although contending with the best exhibits the county affords. Mr. Lloyd was married in February, 1893, to Delilah McElhany, a daughter of Warham and Stella Jane (Robertson) McElhany. Fraternally, Mr. Lloyd is a member of Republic Lodge No. 570, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and Zabud Council, Royal Arch Chapter No. 25, Of Springfield. He also belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, of Brookline. Religiously, he is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church. Politically, he is a stanch Democrat and is influential in the affairs of his party. He has been elected to serve in several township offices, including school director and road commissioner, holding the latter office at present. He has given satisfaction in all positions of trust. SAMUEL MACK LLOYD. One of the representative business men of Greene county of a past generation was the late Samuel Mack Lloyd, who devoted his earlier life to general live stock pursuits, but for over a decade he was in the tin and stove business in Springfield. He was essentially a man of affairs, sound of judgment and far-seeing in what he undertook, and with scarcely an exception every enterprise to which he addressed himself resulted in gratifying financial returns. He began life poor in this world's goods, but rich in what is of far more value than material wealth—a sound mind and a sound body. He possessed concentration of purpose and energy that laughed at restraint; keen foresight and the rare executive ability that made everything undertaken accomplish the purpose for which intended. To these qualities were added scrupulous integrity in all dealings with his fellow men and an honor in keeping with the ethics of business life, while behind all and controlling all were the great principles embodied in the Golden Rule, without which no man however great his wealth, and however distinguished his name, can be truly successful. Mr. Lloyd was born in the state of Delaware, in the year 1833. When he was a small child his parents moved to Canton, Lewis county, Missouri, and established their home on a farm, the father devoting his active life to agricultural pursuits, and there he and his wife died when our subject was but a boy. Their family consisted of four children, all now deceased, namely: Jeremiah was the father of James T. Lloyd, who became a noted politician and a congressman; John, Samuel Mack and Henry. Samuel M. Lloyd grew to manhood on the farm where he worked hard when a boy, and he received his education in the public schools of Canton, Missouri, and when but a boy he manifested decided natural talent as a judge of live stock, and, consequently, turned his attention to dealing in live stock, which he followed principally up to 1883, in later years under the firm name of S. M. Lloyd & Company, and he was very successful all along the line in this field of endeavor. In the fall of 1883, Mr. Lloyd located in Springfield, and continued to make his home here the rest of his life. He conducted a tin and stove establishment on Boonville street, his shop being one of the largest and best known of its kind in southwest Missouri, and he did a large and successful business, under the firm name of S. M. Lloyd, Tin and Stoves. He conducted this business ten years or until 1893. His health had begun to fail and he gave up the business that kept him so closely confined, and in order to have something to do, accepted the position of relief officer of Springfield, being appointed by Jerry Fenton, at that time mayor, and he continued to discharge the duties of this office until his death. Mr. Lloyd was married, October 10, 1882 in Canton, Missouri, to Eva Bartlett, who was born on September 12, 1859, in LaGrange, Missouri. She is a daughter of Henry S. and Mary (Barker) Bartlett. The father was born in New Hampshire, April 26, 1832, and his death occurred in Springfield, Missouri, in 1906. The mother of Mrs. Lloyd was born in Kentucky on November 13, 1846, and is still living, making her home with her daughter, Mrs. Lloyd, in a handsome residence on East Elm street, Springfield. Mr. Barker devoted his active life to mercantile pursuits, and was a man of business ability and exemplary character. Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Lloyd, namely: Nelle, born on January 5, 1884, married T. J. Means, who is in the railroad service; May Elizabeth, born on November 17, 1885, is the wife of Holland Keet, a well known young business man of Springfield. Politically, Mr. Lloyd was a Prohibitionist. Fraternally, he belonged to the Masonic order and the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He was a consistent member of the Methodist Episcopal church, South. He was summoned to his eternal rest on January 17, 1896. Interment was made in Maple Park cemetery. At a meeting of the Springfield Board of Charities the following resolution was passed on Mr. Lloyd's death: "Whereas, In the mysterious providence of God, S. M. Lloyd, relief officer of the Board of Charities of Springfield, Missouri, has been removed by the hand of death; "Resolved by the Board of Charities assembled in special session, first: That, while bowing submissively to the will of God, we express our earnest regret at this seemingly untimely death and our appreciation of his efficient conscientious discharge of the arduous duties of his trying office during his brief administration, we could sincerely say to him, ‘Well done, thou good and faithful servant. "Resolved, second: That we tender his bereaved family our sincere sympathies in the loss of a true husband and devoted father, and commend them to the care of Him who is pledged to be the husband of the widow and father of the fatherless. "Resolved, third: That a copy of these resolutions be furnished to the family, the daily papers, and that they be spread upon the minutes of the proceedings of the board." ROBERT LOVE. The history of Greene county reveals the handiwork of many a noble soul who wrought heroically and unselfishly. Her smiling fields and splendid homes, her high-grade institutions, her happy, prospering people speak volumes of some one's steadfastness of purpose, of some one's strength of arm, courage of heart, activity of brain--of some one's sacrifice. But time, that ruthless obliterator, before whose destroying fingers even the stubborn granite must, in the end succumb, is ever at his work of disintegration. Beneath his blighting touch even memory fails, and too often a life of splendid achievement is forgotten in a day. Lest we forget, then, as Kipling admonishes us in his superb "Recessional," regarding a number of important things that should not be forgotten, this tribute to the memory of the late Robert Love is penned. Pioneer merchant, successful agriculturist, a public-spirited, brave, kindly, generous man, it is the desire of the biographer, as it must be of all who knew him, that his deeds and his character be recorded for the benefit of those who follow after. Mr. Love was born in Pike county, Missouri, which picturesque locality has been made famous by the late Secretary of State, John Hay, in his "Ballads from Pike," the date of the former's birth having been March 26, 1839. He was a son of Andrew and Mary Ann (Muir) Love, both long deceased. Our subject was one of four children, namely: Harrison, deceased; Mrs. Margaret Dunn, deceased; Mrs. Sarah J. McCullister, deceased; Robert of this memoir. Robert Love was reared in his native county and there received a common school education. At the breaking out of the War of the Rebellion, he joined the Union army and was such a brave and efficient fighter for the cause that he was promoted to lieutenant. He took part in many engagements, including the battles of Pea Ridge and Springfield, and was honorably discharged at the close of the war. Before the war he had removed with his stepfather to Greene county on a farm. He sold this place not long after the war and began the mercantile business selling dry goods at Strafford, being the first store-keeper in that place. He built up a good trade with the surrounding country, his many customers remaining his friends owing to the honest and courteous treatment he accorded them. He was the first man to buy a lot in Strafford. After remaining in business there about a year he resumed farming, but eventually returned to Strafford where he spent the last days of his life and died there on October 29, 1905. Mr. Love was married November 26, 1864, to Margaret C. Piper, who, was born near Strafford, April 28, 1842, and there grew to womanhood on a farm. She received a good education in the local schools. Since the death of her husband she has shown rare business tact in managing successfully her various affairs. She has lived in Strafford twenty-nine years. She is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. She is a daughter of Samuel and Sarah (Smith) Piper, both now deceased. Mr. Piper was a successful farmer and stock raiser, well and favorably known in this locality. He and his wife were members of the Methodist Episcopal church. They emigrated here from Virginia in 1839 and were among the early settlers in Greene county, where Mr. Piper entered land from the government and developed a large and productive farm. Six children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Love, namely : Mrs., Alta C.Brown lives in Springfield; Mrs. Sarah N. Dishman lives in Jackson township; Florence H. lives at home; Mrs. Mary E. West lives at Nogo, Missouri; Mrs. Margaret K. Kepley lives in Taylor township; Maude May died February 4, 1896. Politically, Mr. Love was a Democrat. He was a member of the Masonic fraternity, and belonged to the Methodist Episcopal church. He was a man of fine personal character. ROBERT B. LOVE, D. V. S. Greene county has never had a more efficient, progressive and popular veterinary physician and surgeon than Dr. Robert B. Love, a man of statewide reputation, who seemed to have a natural aptitude and liking for this calling when a mere boy, and from that time to the present he has left no stone unturned whereby he could advance himself in the same, remaining a close student of everything pertaining to this science, observing, investigating and experimenting. His counsel has been frequently sought by his professional brethren and invariably followed with gratifying results, his advice in any phase of the profession being accepted as unqualified authority. His modernly equipped hospital in Springfield is known to all horsemen in southwest Missouri and he has built up an extensive and lucrative patronage during his long years of residence here. An admirer and expert judge of horses of superior breed he always keeps a number of animals, owning three stallions at this writing which have few peers in the country. Dr. Love was born in Webster county, Missouri, February 5, 1873. He is a scion of a sterling ancestry, some of the Loves having been distinguished military men in the early wars of the nation and influential citizens of Virginia and Tennessee. He is a son of Thomas C. and Sallie Jane (Rodgers) Love. The father is a retired resident of Springfield, having been a successful farmer in Webster county during the active years of his life, and in that county his birth occurred in 1844, soon after his parents, Thomas B. and Elizabeth (Barnard) Love settled there, having emigrated from Tennessee Thomas B. Love was born in North Carolina and was a son of Gen. Thomas Love, who was a native of Ireland, from which country he emigrated to the United States in old Colonial days and he became a soldier in the Revolutionary war, finally become coroner of a North Carolina regiment. Later he moved into Tennessee and became a general of Militia and a great man there, serving thirty years consecutively in the state legislature. His oldest son, Robert, was a colonel in the War of 1812 and fought under Jackson at New Orleans. The family has always been lovers of liberty and have unhesitatingly taken an active part in the wars in which this country has been involved at various times. Thomas B. Love, grandfather of the subject of this sketch, entered six hundred acres of land upon his arrival in Webster county, and this he cleared and developed and thereon established the permanent home of the family. His son, Thomas C. Love, father of our subject, became owner of the homestead, which he retained up to a few years ago, when he sold it, retiring from active life as a farmer and moving to Springfield, as before indicated. Thomas B. Love owned about two dozen slaves at the time of his death, which occurred in 1852, after a residence of only a decade in the Ozarks. He was a man of humanitarian impulses and was also very considerate in his treatment of his slaves. His family consisted of nine children. The oldest son joined a company for the Mexican war, became a first lieutenant, but died on the march to Mexico. The widow of Thomas B. Love died in 1869. Thomas C. Love, mentioned above, grew to manhood on the home farm in Webster county, and when the Civil war came on he enlisted in the Confederate army, a Missouri cavalry regiment, under General Marmaduke and proved to be a gallant soldier. He still carries a pistol ball received in a battle in Arkansas. He was also in prison on two different occasions for some time. When his brigade was defeated in battle at Mines Creek, Kansas, where General Marmaduke and Cabell and a large number of the men were captured, he made a sensational escape by swimming a dangerous stream, and later joined a reorganized body of the same troops in Texas and served until the close of the war, surrendering at Shreveport, Louisiana, in June, 1865. After the war he devoted three years to the management of a plantation in Texas, raising cotton, then returned to Webster county, Missouri, and carried on general farming and live stock raising until 1892, when he turned his farm into an apple orchard. He first moved to Springfield in 1883 to educate his children, moving back to the farm in 1899, and in 1911 again took up his residence in the Queen City. He was formerly active in the Democratic party and served one term in the state legislature in 1882. In 1893 he was appointed postmaster at Springfield, which office he held four years. The mother of Dr. Robert B. Love was a daughter of R. W. Rodgers and wife, of Texas county, Missouri. This family is of Scotch-Irish descent and became known in the New World at an early day. The grandfather of Mrs. Love took up his residence in Texas county long before the opening of the Civil war and became an extensive lumberman and well known to the early pioneers of that section. Mrs. Love grew to womanhood in her native locality and received her education in the early schools there. Her death occurred May 20, 1912. Seven children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Thomas C. Love, namely: Dr. Joseph W., of Springfield; Dr. Robert B., of this sketch; Thomas B., an attorney of Dallas, Texas; Ralph M., a banker, of Mt. Pleasant, Texas; Edgar P., a manufacturer, of Dallas, Texas; two sons died in early life. Dr. Robert B. Love grew to manhood on the homestead in Webster county and there did his share of the general work when he was a boy. He received his early education in the district schools. He came to Springfield in 1881 and served as money-order clerk at the post office for three and a half years. Prior to that time he spent a term in Drury College, after which he entered the Western Veterinary College at Kansas City, where he made rapid progress and from which institution he was graduated in 1898-1899. He was valedictorian of his class. Returning to Springfield he opened an office and has been engaged in the practice of his profession here ever since, each year showing a further advancement than the preceding. He has maintained the same office all the while, his hospital on Convention Hall avenue is equipped with all up-to-date appliances and apparatus to insure prompt and high-grade service. He has kept fully abreast of the times in his chosen line of endeavor and has long ranked among the leading veterinary physicians and surgeons of the state, and for many years has held the office of deputy state veterinarian of Missouri, having served in this capacity under the past five governors of the state. His long retention is evidence of his ability and satisfaction. In 1899 he took a post-graduate course in the Western Veterinary College. He has had a large practice here from the first, and is often called to various parts of the state on consultation. He was placed in charge of all the territory south of the Frisco lines on the tick-eradication work several years ago. During the Boer war, Doctor Love was hired by the British government as chief veterinarian in charge of steamship Kelvingrove, which carried a load of mules from New Orleans to Cape Town, South Africa, for the army. He did his work so thoroughly and ably that the English officials complimented him highly, reporting that he had made the best record in transporting animals from New Orleans to South Africa ever made for the British government up to that date. He lost but two mules out of nine hundred and ninety-nine on the entire voyage. While in South Africa Doctor Love was offered a position as chief of veterinary hospital and outfitting army station at Queenstown. After traveling over the southern portion .of the Dark Continent he visited the important cities of England, visiting Paris during the World's Fair in 1900. Doctor Love was married, July 11, 1894, to Mable M. Williams, who was born in Springfield, December 19, 1873. She is a daughter of John and Julia (Vinton) Williams, a prominent family of this city, the father having been a leading hardware merchant here for many years, but is now living in retirement. A complete sketch of this family appears on another page of this volume to which the reader is respectful referred. Mrs. Love grew to womanhood in this city and received a good education in the local schools. The union of the Doctor and wife has resulted in the birth of three children, namely: Robert W., born July 2, 1896, is attending high school; George McDaniel, born October 18, 1901, is in school; and John Thomas, born March 17, 1905, is also a student. Politically, Doctor Love is a Democrat, but professional duties have prevented him from taking a very active part in political affairs. Fraternally, he belongs to the Loyal Order of Moose, having passed all the chairs in the local lodge up to dictator. He was brought up in the faith of the Methodist Episcopal church, South, the family attending the Christ Episcopal church. For recreation the Doctor formerly devoted considerable time to rod and gun, and is an expert shot, but of late years he has had little time to devote to sportsmanship owing to his extensive practice. Our subject is an ardent lover of good horses and is an enthusiastic breeder of thoroughbred and saddle horses, and has sold more of them than, perhaps, any other breeder in Missouri. He has often acted as judge at various county fairs within a radius of two hundred miles of Springfield. He is at this writing owner of three of the finest and most valuable stallions in the state, namely: "P. J." 0167, is one of the fastest and best breeding combination stallions, and one that has sired more high-class, level-headed family horses than any other horse in this section, a horse that has shown two-minute speed and possesses unquestionable disposition for which his gets, are also noted. The year book shows that "P. J." was one of the gamest and most successful race horses in his day. He has been shown in almost all the street fairs and show rings in the vicinity of Springfield and has never met defeat. His last appearance was at the Springfield show, October 9, 1909 for combination stallion with five of his gets, competition advertised open to the world. "Peacock Chief" 1585, is the durable saddle stallion that has been advertised without successful contradiction, to show more gaits both under the saddle and in his gets than all the rest of the saddle stallions in Greene county combined. Chief has sired more high-priced saddle colts than any other saddle stallion ever having made a season in Greene county, many of his colts having sold from one thousand to eighteen hundred dollars. "Ilot" 70649 (79746) Percheron stallion, was imported from France for the Charles Holland stock farm, and purchased by Doctor Love in January, 1914, whose pedigree shows him to be one of the richest bred Percheron stallions in the United States, and unquestionably the best stallion for this section ever imported by the Holland stock farm, one of the most noted farms of its kind in the state. COL. THOMAS CALVIN LOVE. A cheerful and hopeful disposition is a trait of character much to be admired, much to be desired, and one that with most men needs to be cultivated and enlarged. It is absolutely necessary to success in any pursuit in life for man to be hopeful and resourceful. He must not only believe that "all things work together for good," but also have confidence in himself, that he has the ability to bring things to pass. It is easy to be good and cheerful when everything is, running smoothly, when everything seems to be prosperous, when a man is flourishing and spreading himself like a green bay tree. How easy it is then to appear cheerful and happy, but it is often quite another story when the day of adversity comes, the hour of difficulty, failure and disappointed hopes. A man who has endeavored to remain cheerful, optimistic and courageous in both sunshine and storm as he has traversed the winding path of life during his three score and ten years is Thomas. Calvin Love, during his active life a gallant soldier, successful farmer and stock raiser and faithful public servant now living retired in Springfield. Mr. Love has descended from a fine ancestry of military men and people of the right quality. He was born in what is now Webster county, Missouri, near the town of Seymour, May 17, 1844, and is a son of Thomas Bell and Elizabeth (Barnard) Love. The father was born in Hayward county, North Carolina, on December 27, 1798, and was a son of Gen. Thomas and Martha (Dillard) Love. The mother was born September 27, 1774. Gen. Thomas Love, born November 16, 1776, was a native of Ireland from which country he emigrated to America when a young man and located in North Carolina, and while living there the Revolutionary war began. He unhesitatingly joined in the struggle of the colonists for independence. He was a brave and efficient soldier and for meritorious conduct was promoted until he received a colonel's commission and was given command of a North part of the Carolina regiment. After the war he moved to what is now a part of the state of Tennessee, where he became an officer of the state of Franklin, which was created by an act of the Legislature of the state of North Carolina, and later repealed and made Tennessee. But the governor of the former state refused to obey the ruling of the Legislature of North Carolina, and Gen. Thomas Love, then a general of militia, commanded the troops that captured the obstinate governor of Franklin. General Love served thirty consecutive years in the Legislature of Tennessee. He was speaker of the house during a number of terms. He was during that long period one of the best known and most influential men of Tennessee, and was admired as an army officer a statesman and broad-minded citizen. Perhaps no man did more for the early development of the state in general than he. His long life was spent f or the most part in the service f or others, and he passed away at an advanced age about the year that the subject of this sketch was born. He married a Miss Dillard in Tennessee, and to them nine children were born. His eldest son Robert, born December 31, 1789, was a colonel during the war of 1812 and fought under Gen. Andrew Jackson at the great battle of New Orleans. Thomas B. Love, father of our subject, grew up on the General's plantation in Tennessee and there received such educational advantages as the early-day schools afforded, and he remained in his native state until 1842, when he came to what is now Webster county, Missouri, where he entered six hundred acres of land from the government, which he cleared, improved and on which he established the permanent home of the family, and this land was retained by his children until 1910, when it was sold by our subject. When he was a lad, Thomas B. Love went with a party to assist in provisioning General Jackson's troops on their march back from New Orleans after the close of the war of 1812, and Robert Love, who was a colonel in that army, gave his sword to his younger brother, Thomas B. This highly prized heirloom was stolen from the Love home during the Civil war. Mr. Love did not live to enjoy his new home in the Ozarks long—ten years—dying in 1852. Politically, he was a Democrat and while he was active in party affairs would never accept public office. He owned a lock of General Jackson's hair, which his son, our subject, has sent back to Tennessee, to form a part of the collection of the Historical Society, of that state. Thomas B. Love was an extensive farmer and he owned about twenty-five slaves at the time of his death. He always saw that they had comfortable quarters, were well cared for and was considerate of their every welfare. His wife, Elizabeth Barnard, was born in Buncombe county, North Carolina in the year 1800. To these parents nine children were born. Their oldest son died of measles while on the march to Mexico with the army back in the forties, he having been first lieutenant in a company organized in Springfield, Missouri. The mother was left with a family of small children, which she reared in comfort and respectability. She reached the age of sixty-nine years, dying in 1869. Thomas C. Love, of this review, grew to manhood on the home farm in Webster county and there received a very meager education in the district schools, but he was preparing to enter college at Columbia, Missouri, when the Civil war began and interfered with his plans. He at once cast his services with the Confederacy, enlisting in July, 1862, in Company F, Third Missouri Cavalry, under General Marmaduke. He was in Arkansas during the early part of the war, and before his enlistment was captured by the Federals and held in jail at Batesville, that state, for five weeks. He proved to be a faithful and brave soldier and saw considerable hard service. On September 10, 1863, while in an engagement near Little Rock, Arkansas, he was shot through the lung and he still carries the bullet in his body. While in the hospital from this wound he was captured by the enemy, but later exchanged and rejoined his command at Camden, that state. He was in engagements at Poison Springs, Jenkins' Ferry, Leg Village, Pine Bluff, all in Arkansas, and the Big Blue in Missouri, and was on the retreat with General Marmaduke when, the latter was captured, but our subject escaped by swimming Mines creek in Kansas, and rejoined his regiment and after a few skirmishes, surrendered with the entire army of the Trans-Mississippi department, at Shreveport, Louisiana, June 8, 1865. After his discharge from the army Mr. Love went to Texas, where he rented a plantation and devoted his attention to raising cotton for three years, returning to his home in Webster county, Missouri, in 1869, and began farming on the home place, carrying on general farming and stock raising, in fact, traded extensively in live stock, and prospered with advancing years until he became one of the leading farmers of that county. He continued general farming and dealing in live stock until 1892, when he turned his farm into an apple orchard which was fairly successful. He moved to Springfield in 1883 in order to give his children proper educational advantages, but in 1899 moved back to the farm and lived there twelve years, then sold out and returned to Springfield, purchased a good home in which he now lives retired. Politically, Mr. Love is a Democrat and had been a leader in his party in his earlier years, and he served as representative from Webster county in the state Legislature from 1882 to 1884, in a manner that was highly creditable to himself and to the satisfaction of his constituents. Among the notable things which he did while in that office was his assistance in securing the passing of a bill appropriating twelve thousand and five hundred dollars to rebuild the court house and jail at Marshfield, which were destroyed by the cyclone of 1880. From 1885 to 1899 he was deputy collector of internal revenue in Springfield, giving the government satisfaction in every respect. In 1893 he was appointed postmaster at Springfield, and served four years with his usual fidelity to duty, which elicited the hearty commendation of the people and the post office department at Washington. Mr. Love in his fraternal relations is a member of the Masonic order and the Grange, being for some time quite active in the work of the latter. He is a member of Campbell Camp No. 488, United Confederate Veterans. He is active in the affairs of the same and has been commander of the local camp twice, being the only man ever re-elected to the place, and on September 17, 1914, Mr. Love was elected brigadier-general of the Western Brigade, Missouri Division of Mounted Confederate Veterans. Mr. Love was married, November 5, 1865, to Sallie J. Rogers, who was born in Texas county, Missouri, November 26, 1846. Her people were refugees to Texas during the Civil war. The death of Mrs. Love occurred May 20, 1912, at Mt. Pleasant, Texas, but was brought to Springfield, where he rests in the beautiful Maple Park cemetery. She was a faithful life companion, devoted to her home and family and was beloved by her many friends for her numerous excellent traits of character. Seven children, all sons, were born to Mr. and Mrs. Thomas C. Love, five of whom are living at this writing, namely: Dr. Joseph W. Love, a specialist of the eye, ear, nose and throat, of Springfield, was for some time in the medical department of the United States army in the Philippine islands; Dr. Robert B. of Springfield, is one of the leading veterinary physicians of southern Missouri; Thomas B. is a prominent attorney of Dallas, Texas; Ralph M. is a successful banker at Mt. Pleasant, Texas; Edgar P. has built up a large business as a manufacturer in Dallas, Texas. H. A. LOWE, M. D. There is no positive rule for achieving success, and yet in the life of the successful man there are always lessons which might well be followed. The man who gains prosperity in any vocation is he who can see and utilize the opportunity that comes in his path. The essential conditions of human life are ever the same, the surroundings of individuals differ but slightly, and when one man passes another on the highway of life to reach the goal of prosperity before others who perhaps started out in life before him, it is because he has the power to use advantages which probably encompass the whole human race. Although yet young in years, Dr. H. A. Lowe, president of the board of directors of the Southwest hospital, of Springfield, stands among the progressive, prominent and successful physicians, and surgeons in a locality long noted for the high order of its medical talent. The qualities of keen discernment, sound judgment and quick perception have entered very largely into his makeup and have been contributing elements to the professional success which has come to him. Doctor Lowe was born in Berwick, Newton county, Missouri, September 21, 1884. He is a son of F. M. and Flora (Roberts) Lowe. The father was born in Tennessee and when a child his parents removed with him from that state to Newton county, Missouri, where the grandfather of our subject established the future home of the family on a farm and. there spent the rest of his life, dying prior to the breaking out of the Civil war; and there the father, F. M. Lowe, grew to manhood, received such education as the old-time schools afforded and there married Flora Roberts, a native of Newton county, Missouri, and whose parents were natives of Tennessee. To F. M. Lowe and wife eight children were born, four sons and four daughters, namely: H. A. Lowe, our subject; Kirk C., who lives in Butterfield, Missouri; Charles, deceased; Vida Belle married a Mr. Pennel and they live near Butterfield, Missouri; Bessie, Bruce, Blanche and Britt are all living at home. When a young man, the doctor's father began life as a general farmer and stock raiser which he continues to follow with gratifying results. Both parents are still living near Butterfield, Missouri. Dr. H. A. Lowe grew to manhood on the farm in Newton county and there made himself generally useful when of proper age, and in the winter months he attended the public schools of his community, later spent two years in the Pierce City Baptist College, then studied three years at Drury College, Springfield. In due course of time he entered the medical department of the St. Louis University, where he made a splendid record, and from which institution he was graduated with the class of 1909, after four years' study. He also had a year's hospital training at Alexian Brothers' Hospital in St. Louis. He came to Springfield in 1910 and began the practice of his profession, and for two years was associated with the late Doctor Terry, one of the leading surgeons of Greene county of a past generation. The association continued until the death of Doctor Terry, in 1912. Doctor Lowe is president of a board of directors, composed of five leading Springfield physicians, that built the Southwest Hospital here, which was designed for the general public and. is open to the patients of all reputable physicians. It has been a pronounced success from the first, is modernly equipped in every respect and pleasantly and conveniently located, and an efficient corps of trained nurses are constantly in attendance. It is managed under a superb system and is rapidly growing in public favor. The other members of the board of directors are Dr. T. O. Klingner, vice-president; Dr. D. U. Sherman, secretary and treasurer; Dr. M. C. Stone and Dr. E. F. James. Doctor Lowe confines his practice strictly to surgical work and has become one of the leading men of his profession. Politically Doctor Lowe is a Democrat, and fraternally he belongs to the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, the Scottish Rite Masons, and has attained the thirty-second degree and Mystic Shrine. He is also a member of the Knights of Pythias. JAMES E. LUPER. All who have studied the present-day problems of supply and demand, will agree that there is always a market for what the farmer raises, but that it is costing him too much to "get by the middle men" and get his products in the hands of the consumers. When this problem is satisfactorily solved such careful and industrious farmers as James E. Luper, of Wilson township, Greene county, will be more justly rewarded for their labors. Mr. Luper was born in Washington county, Arkansas, January 5, 1867. He is a son of John and Eliza (Ingram) Luper, both natives of Tennessee, born on farms and there spent their early lives, but removed to. Arkansas when young and established their future home, and there the death of the father occurred in 1867, a few months before the subject of this sketch was born. The mother survived until in January, 1911, reaching an advanced age, having survived her husband about forty-seven years. To these parents six children were born, named as follow: Mrs. Amanda Luttrell, Mrs. Jane Maxie, Simion A., John A., William S., all live in Arkansas; and James E., of this sketch. James E. Luper grew to manhood on the farm in Washington county, Arkansas, and there he received his education in the rural schools. When eighteen years of age he left home and came to Greene county, Missouri, June 27, 1885, and went to work for Jonathan Moore, with whom he remained two years and four months. He saved his earnings and finally began farming for himself, which he has continued to the present time, and is now owner of eighty acres of good land in Wilson township on which he is making a comfortable living by general farming and stock raising. He has worked hard for what he has and has led a quiet life, progressing slowly, with advancing years. Mr. Luper was married on September 4, 1887, to Ella Moore, a daughter of S. B. and Ann (Payne) Moore, who were old residents of Greene county, where they spent their active lives in farming, and they are now living retired in Springfield. The following children were born to them: Ella, wife of our subject; J. R., who lives in Greene county; Mrs. Ollie Burkhead, of Springfield; Anderson lives in Kansas; Flossie V., who lives, in Springfield, is the widow of Dr. Knowles, deceased; Charles lives in Springfield; Bessie has remained unmarried; Fred and Harvey both live in Kansas City. Mrs. Luper grew to womanhood in Wilson township, this county and received her education in the district schools, and, having spent her life in her native vicinity has many friends throughout same. Mr. and Mrs. Luper have but one child, Lulu May Luper, who is at home with her parents. Politically Mr. Luper is a Republican in national affairs, but often votes independently in local elections. He and his wife are members of the Christian church.
Missouri Records Kansas Records Cemetery Transcriptions
Census Transcriptions Marriage Records Obituary Index
Family Research Research Requests Email Webmaster

free web counter
Alienware Computer Coupons