History of the Samuel Curtis Family
This is the booklet that Maynard Curtis assembled in 1966. In retyping it, I left in the spelling and punctuation, as I think it is important to see it as he actually wrote it.
Some interesting incidents gathered from extensive research. Edited by Maynard D Curtis Foreword: It is the innermost desire of most people to think about the past, to live again their childhood days, to reminesce in general their youthful associates, both friendly and otherwise; the uttered words that indelibly left their impression on the flyleaf of the soul culminating into an estatic shrine that will live forever, as a memorial to the past. Several of the Curtis children have expressed a desire that a record of some sort be made concerning the activities of the family in general, a record of the places where once we lived and other pertinent facts, including dates, as near as possible. With this in mind Amos and Maynard took time out and made a trip during the month of July, 1966, gathering considerable data, and combining it with information already at hand feel that this record will be of interest to all the Curtis children in general, as well as their offsprings. On our trip, July 5th, We left Peoria early in the morning. Anna had been ill, had suffered a slight stroke, but was able to start to work again, papering and painting. She still had that winning smile, and our visit with her was short but sweet. Donald, (Anna’s boy, Richard’s son), was staying with her. Don is 16 years old, a fine boy, fair-minded, and a scholar with high grades. On the road leading from Peoria on down to Pittsfield, (where mother and dad were married in 1888), we found it lined with beautiful fields of corn, and wooded countryside. Many squirrels and cottontails scurried across the highway and some failed to scurry fast enough and left their little bodies laying on the road. Someone evidently ran over a skunk, and the skunk when he saw he was going to get hit, folded his little hands and said, “Let us spray!” Quite a few patches of wild roses grace the roadside, just as in boyhood days. We even sang a few songs as the miles flew by, and of course, “Where the river’s gently flowing, Illinois, Illinois,” had to be one of them. We stopped at Griggsville, “The Martin City of the World.” Along the Main street was lined dozens of martin homes, elevated to a comfortable height on metal poles. Several thousand pair of martins have their homes here, a sight to behold. Our next stop was New Salem, Illinois, and after Amos got thru taking pictures we headed north out of town, on a gravel road, and didn’t go very far until we met a mail-carrier, (Mr. Ted Stoeffer), who was around 60 years old. He said he remembered Sam Curtis, and vaguely some of the older boys. He also called to mind some of the neighbors who lived around New Salem at that time. He was helpful in getting us on the right track, and showing us how to get to the old Fisk place. As we neared Baylis, the city water tower loomed up, and Amos took a picture of it, along with several other views of the town. Mrs. Jessie Holmes lives here. After dinner we started to find the old home sites. North of Baylis, we found the old Powell place. The barn and house had burned down. The road is graveled leading up the grade from the main road to the homesite. Weeds as tall as your head grow all over the area where the buildings used to stand. The fields are still cultivated. Much of it is hayland, with red clover and alfalfa as the main hay crops. We had a flat tire just as we arrived here. We ate dinner at Baylis, eating at the only restaurant in town. It was not air-conditioned, and altho’ the food was good, the water was terrible. We visited the Ceburn, Powell, Fisk, and Collier places today. The Collier place has a new house built on it, but the barn is the original one, and in fair condition. We had no trouble finding the old Fisk place. We drove from the main gravel road down past the Old McLaughrey’s place until we came to a gate that used to be the entrance to our old homesite. The fence around Doane’s pasture was still standing, but had been repaired several times. The bridge between the Fisk place south of the house is gone. With a little reconnoitering, the area that once was the yard and barnlot appeared natural. Cattle were still grazing in the old Doane’s pasture, where Bessie once rolled down the hill covered with bumble bees, and altho’ having been stung several times on the way down, jumped up at the bottom of the hill and exclaimed, “Boys, wasn’t I going some?” The old well is partly filled in. All the buildings are gone, but it is easy to tell where the house once stood, because of the indentation in the ground where the cellar door was. It was easy to locate the spot where the cane mill stood, and the pummy pile where the larger boys used to turn handsprings from the top of it. A field of blooming red clover covers the area where the buildings stood. The old road leading down the hill to’ward the Allen’s place is still passable, but the creek had dried up leaving only scattered pools of water. The timber on both sides of the road was about like it used to be when we lived there, some of it being large enough for saw logs. Our next stop was at Nebo: There we found a relative, Humphrey Zumwalt, and also one closer elated, Alonzo Zumwalt, a son of Marion Zumwalt who was one of grandpa Henry Zumwalt’s brothers. Arriving at Alonzo’s house, which was about 3 blocks from the Postoffice, we found Alonzo’s wife in her back yard picking green beans. Amos greeted her by reminding her it was pretty hot to be working like that, to which she agreed and made us comfortable until she could telephone Alonzo. Very shortly, “Lon,” as she called him, showed up, a man of 73 years, very spry and mentally alert. When Lon found out we were interested in the Zumwalt family tree, he became interested at once, as his son Homer was also a family tree fan, and when Amos told him we were interested in locating grandpa Zumwalt’s old home place site near Nebo, Illinois, he offered to go along with us and show us where it was. We were thankful for his help, as he led us right to it without any trouble. We found out the home place is owned by a residenter in Nebo. In getting to the place, we left the main gravel road leading east out of Nebo, to our right, turning down a lane, and passing thru 3 gates. The furthur we went the rougher became the road, and it wasn’t long until Amos began to recognize the land, and he remarked it sure did remind him of the days of his youth when he used to ride over that same road with grandpa in a big wagon. Emotional tension grew as we neared the home site, especially when he saw the same old spring coming out of the side of the hill that used to supply grandma and grandpa with water. A mound of dirt left a land mark where the old cave was located, where grandpa used to cool his watermelons, and where he stored his winter supply of vegetables. The contour of the land held much significance to Amos, in placing the location of the house and barn, altho’ the buildings had long dissappeared. Visiting this site didn’t mean as much to me as it did to Amos, as I was too young when grandpa Henry Zumwalt moved away from the farm in 1899 to Busch, Missouri, a short distance south of St. Louis, Missouri on a farm, where he lived until his death. Alonzo lived in Calhoun County at the time grandpa lived on the old home place. Lon has three sons, Philip, Homer, and Wayne. (Philip was killed in world war two.) One story we heard concerning grandpa Henry Zumwalt: It seemed he had a beetree on his land, but a neighbor knew also of it’s location, and one night attempted to cut it. Because of the noise, grandpa heard them and went down and found them cutting the tree. Grandpa asked them to kindly leave and stop cutting the tree, as he may want to cut it later. They did not respond to grandpa’s request and when grandpa returned in about an hour, they were still hard at it. In the dark, grandpa shot at the party, and we are told that one of the fellows, who was sprayed with buckshot, ran all the way home and fell in the door, exclaiming, “Oh, my God, I’m shot thru the heart!” It was while Grandpa and grandma Zumwalt lived near Nebo, and mother was a girl in her teens that this episode took place. It seemed that old Uncle Dave Miller, a fish peddler, often visited the Zumwalts on his routine stops thru that part of the country. For several weeks old Uncle Dave had failed to show up, and when he finally did, it was as a surprise to grandma. She greeted him gladly, and offered him a chair. “Well, Uncle Dave,” she began, “Where in the world have you been keeping yourself, we had just about gave you up, and we heard that you were dead?” With seeming grave concern and in his usual droll manner replied, “Well, Mrs. Zumwalt, I heard that too, -- but I knew it was a lie as soon as I heard it.” Another story mother told about Uncle Dave. He had bought a new farm, and was bragging it up. “Yes sir-ee, Mrs. Zumwalt, I just bought me a farm, a good farm, Yeller as gold, yes sir-ee, yeller as gold.” He was planning on raising beef cattle on this farm, and was expounding that possibility. “You know Mrs. Zumwalt, beefsteak is good, and mighty good, and there’s lots of good eating in a beef. The hookey-bone comes up for a load, and just sails for the paunch.” In the following data an effort has been made to include some memorial words or actions relative to all the progeny of the Samuel F. Curtis family. Some incidents may seem relatively insignificant, but not intentionally. NEBO, ILLINOIS 1888-1895 Samuel F. Curtis, and Icy Dora Zumwalt were married here, July 31, 1888. Daddy Curtis was 22 years old, and mother was not quite 15 years old. They were married in Pittsfield, Illinois, by County Judge, Mr. J. Patterson, in the presence of Eliza Zumwalt and Savana McClary. Edward Henry Curtis, Roy Clarence Curtis and John Andrew Curtis were born in and around Nebo, Illinois. BAYLISS, ILLINOIS 1896 TO 1904 (early spring) The Duntson Place; This place consisted of an acre of land, and there was a large tree in the corner. Uncle Ike Johnson would come and milk his cow under the tree. Mrs. Turner had mother and Amos over for a meal and the piece of meat Amos had for dinner was real tough. As he was chewing on the meat, he looked up at Mrs. Turner and inquired of her, “Is this the ear?” The Wabash railroad ran thru Baylis, and it was remembered by mother how the “Cannon Ball”, the fast limited train would wake up the countryside with it’s loud shrill whistle, during the night. Amos R. Curtis and William J. Curtis were born in Baylis. COLLIER PLACE 1904 to 1906 Maynard D Curtis and Bessie May Curtis were born at this place. Amos recalls an episode that took place here, between him and John. It seems that they were in the garden, watching the blackbirds which were flying around in large numbers, possibly eating the fruit and making an undesirable scene. Altho’ Amos was only 7 and John 9 years of age, a conference was held between them concerning the blackbirds, and it was decided that the blackbirds needed a good cursing, John was to start in first and curse them with every vile work in his vocabulary, and Amos was to follow in the same indignant way. It is anybodys guess which one rendered the most forceful swear words, but when they finished both were satisfied that the blackbirds got what was coming to them in no uncertain words. But it so happened that Amos and John got what was coming to them also, as mother was inadvertantly picking pole beans in hearing distance and felt it was her duty to apply the peach limb, after which followed a lecture on how little boys should control their speech. At this place Bill climbed into a cherry tree, and when he partly lost his balance, go hung by his sweater top, and the older boys had to loose him, and take him down. POWELL PLACE 1906 to 1908 Anna Laura Curtis was born here. On this place, Old Boxer, our horse, that had served the family faithfully for many years, became so old and worn out that dad thought he ought to be gotten rid of. He asked Ed to take him down in the back field, in a gully and shoot him. This, no doubt, is the hardest thing that Ed ever done. Many happy hours were spent here by the Curtis brothers. The hill that led from the barn, down to the road, was a good coasting place for the old buggy, which was used for that purpose. The shalves were taken off the buggy and ropes were attached to the front axels for guiding purposes. Hay was placed on the bed of the buggy, and one time Roy was delegated to ride it down the hill. All went well until the buggy got almost down to the bottom, when the front wheels buckled and in the spill Roy was hurt. In order to keep his heart from stopping he was stood on his head for a time until it stopped fluttering. Old shep, our big black and white dog went mad under the house, and died there. Before he died he made considerable noise during his death throes which scared mother and the children almost out of their wits. At this place, Amos set fire to some papers in the yard, on a windy day, and mother had a hard time putting out the fire. When mother found out who set the papers on fire a chase ensued. Amos, during the chase ran in the house, and mom right after him. He ran into a front bedroon, and dived thru an open screenless window, but alas, mom was right behind him, and closed the window on Amos, holding him firm while the paddle was administered. John loved to ride “Old Skip”, one of the work horses. One day, while he was riding her around, Old Skip went under a clothes line, and John was brushed off. In the fall, John suffered a broken arm, the only broken bone suffered by any of the Children during their adolescence. CEBURN PLACE 1908 to 1909 Edward H. Curtis and Sadie Hastings were married while Ed was living with his parents on this place, July 31, 1908. They lived in Baylis for a while, and Ed worked on the section for the Wabash Railroad. Some years later, the Wabash re-routed it’s line, moving it furthur south. The old Wabash depot has been moved north of Baylis, and a farmer is now using it as one of his farm buildings. The original work, “Baylis” is still to be seen on either end of the building. This place is where mother tells about dad pouring turpentine on one of the cows, which had an injured back foot. While mother held the back foot up in the air, with a rope, dad poured turpentine on the sore foot. When the turpentine came in contact with the sore foot, the cow kicked vigorously, and some of the excess turpentine from the foot flew into dad’s eyes. Dad thought he was done for, and dropping the bottle screamed, “Oh, my Lord, I’m blind, I’m blind, -where is the watering tank?”, and while staggering and gropeing for it accidently fell in. Amos tells about Roy and the other boys cutting the winter’s supply of wood with a buzz saw. Roy was off-bearing, throwing the cut off chunks of wood vigorously back of him. It seemed dad wandered too close and one piece of wood hit dad on the jaw, which knocked dad out for a few minutes. The house and barn still stands on this place, and Maynard recalls mother asking him to take some umbrellas to the school house, which was in sight, as it was starting to rain, and altho’ seven years old, was too timid to leave mom for even so short a distance. FISK PLACE 1909 to 1912 Nina Florence Curtis was born here. At this place dad had a fine mare that had a prize colt. He needed the mare to cultivate corn, and allowed the colt to follow the mare to the field. Not wanting it to tramp the young corn, he tied it to a tree along side the field with a long rope. While making the round, cultivating the corn, the colt got tangled up somehow, and when dad returned, the colt had tangled itself up in the rope, and had choked itself to death. While digging a well here, “Old Bud”, the family horse, was pulling the dirt up out of the well in a half-barrel made into a bucket. A crow-bar, laying close to the top of the well, (which had been dug to a depth of about 30 feet,) accidently was knocked into the well. Through the graciousness of the Lord, the crow-bar barely missed dad’s head in it’s downward plunge, burying it’s point in the bottom of the well. Dad came up at once, to deliver a discourse on safety rules and regulations. We had a cocky neighbor who lived not too far away. He bragged to some one that he could lick a buzz saw and give it ten rounds start, and that John would be wise if John would keep out of his way. But when John met him face to face one day on the road in front of the barn lot, this fellow lost his nerve, and made a quick get-a-way taking to the timber that grew along side the road. A little furthur down the road was the scene of “Old Bird’s death”, due, we thought to a jealous neighbor having poisoned him, or giving him ground glass. It was remembered that mother cried bitterly when Old Bird died, having tried so hard to save him. One time, mother had a very sophisticated lady from the city as a week end guest. It was in the fall and we had just butchered some hogs. Bessie and Maynard had taken a bladder from a hog, had cleaned it up, and was using it for a balloon. It made a good one. We had it blowed up real good and tied it with a string. While the lady was visiting mother in the kitchen, the balloon was placed in the seat of the big rocking chair in the living room. A cushion was placed over it. We were all standing around unconcerned when the lady came into the living room, and as we had hoped, she sat down in the prepared chair. The string that held in the air broke, and the noise that ensued produced about as an embarrassing situation as was immaginable. We had an annoyed guest on our hands, and mother dealt with us in a manner that made us wish that the lady had never visited the Curtis home. Amos and Bill were laying on their backs in the grass across the fence from the house in Doan’s pasture. Amos was chewing some tobacco, and happened to spit some tobacco juice straight up in the air, and it landed in Bill’s eyes. The impact was tremendous. Bill thought he was blinded for life, and started to run toward the house, crying, “Oh my God!, I’m blind, I’m blind, help me, I’m going to die.” Some one helped him thru the fence, and to the horse trough where he soon washed his eyes, and fully recovered. Mother was in the notion of punishing Amos, but he talked her out of it, as he offered her a bite of cooky which he was eating at that time. Bill was around twelve years old at this time. He was considered a sleepyhead. On account of him being so hard to awaken, and get out of bed of a morning the older boys would charivari him, by raising the covers and dousing him with cold water. This procedure would not only bring him out of bed in a hurry, but would also arouse his anger to the highest pitch. One morning this happened but Bill was ready for them. He had placed sticks of stove wood along the path from his bed to the back door exit, and after the boys had douced him, out of bed he came in hot pursuit grabbing the stovewood and hurling it after them as they made their hasty retreat. One day, the boys were helping dad build a picket fence between the orchard and the corn field. In the process of building the fence, Roy was using a single bit axe to tighten the pickets in the weaving of the fence. Somehow the axe turned and the sharp edge struck, cutting off dad’s little finger, between the first and second joint. Dad ran into the house as fast as he could. Mother put the finger back on, splinted it, and soaked it in turpentine. The finger grew back and was normal. Amos, Ed and John did quite a bit of night hunting. One night, during the hunt, in a pasture where several cattle were kept, the cattle became excited due to the lantern light and firing of the guns, and stampeded. The cattle would have over run them if there hadn’t been large trees present for the boys to get behind. Amos says he can still remember those large forms hurtling by. The older boys robbed a bee tree on this place. Dad refused to go along with them, being so afraid of the bees. After the boys returned around midnight with the honey, they also brought some bees with them, and put them in bed with dad, which soon brought him out of bed with quite a bit of fan fare. Amos was the winner in an egg sucking contest on this place. John and Amos was the contestants. Amos downed 2 ½ dozen, and John 2 dozen. John had to pay mother for the eggs, ten cents a dozen. When Bill was about 11 years old, mother had an old churn. John was quite a dexterous fellow. He often played with this old churn, and would stick his head in it as it seemed quite a feat to him to move his head in and out without getting it stuck. Bill was adventurous also, and wanted to try it. But John, in managing the trick wanted to fill the churn with water, as this would make it more interesting. Finally Bill agreed, and his head went in easy, but when he tried to withdraw it, his head wouldn’t come out. Bill became excited, and started waving his arms and blubbering, knowing he would surely drown. By this time, John was concerned too, and picked Bill up bodily with the churn, water and all, and stood him on his feet. This let the water run out, and after some manipulating succeeded in removing the churn from Bill’s head, which saved the day for Bill. He should have been grateful, but didn’t seem to appreciate the experience very much. When Roy was a very young man he accompanied dad to the field where he was breaking new ground. Dad plowed through a bees nest, and on the second round dad hesitated to plow thru the area where he knew the nest was. Roy says, “Give me the lines, dad, I’ll plow thru there”, and away Roy went. The bumble bees were waiting for him, and really gave him a hard time. In his effort to dislodge them and while shouting orders to the team to keep going, one bumble bee got in Roy’s mouth, and one up his bretches leg, and dad had to hasten to his aid to keep the team from running away. *This happened on the Collier Place. Daddy Curtis suspected that corn was being stolen from the corn crib. John and Amos at once begin building a trap to catch the thief. Using several springs taken from discarded buggies and cultivators, a very effective trap was made, and perhaps more dangerous than they even suspected. The trap was triggered so that when the door was opened the released spring would be hurled toward the door. The mistake they made however was in not telling dad about the trap, and the next morning when dad went to the corn crib and opened the door that he got knocked for a roll. He was scared so badly that he didn’t linger to investigate, but hurried to the house to tell mother about his narrow escape, and asking her if she knew anything about it. Of course mother didn’t know, but John and Amos waking up about that time, and hearing the conversation knew all about it, and soon cleared up the mystery. Mother was picking gooseberries in the cow pasture close to the fence. She was squatting down, busily picking the berries when one of the old cows came up from behind and lowered her head, sliding her horns under mother lifted her bodily up in the air, tossing mother over the fence. Mother lit on her all fours, while the gooseberries flew in all directions. (Amos witnessed this.) **This happened on the Collier place. HULL, ILLINOIS 1913 to 1914 Arthur Woodrow Curtis was born here, January 25, 1913 Amos and John took a notion they would grab themselves a handful of box cars and visit the large city of Hannibal, Missouri. On arriving, they walked around seeing the sights, and marveling at the vastness the city had to offer. The street was paved with cobblestones and was full of sparrows scratching around in the horse manure that littered the street. As they turned a corner they spied a half drunken man waving a pistol around, and occasionally pointing it at the cobblestone street and pulling the trigger. He snapped it two or three times and nothing happened. A negro man across the street from him challenged him, “You couldn’t hit the broadside of a barn!” At this remark, the old drunk slowly raised the pistol, aiming it at him, and pulled the trigger. This time, it did go off, and the bullet grazed the top of the negro’s head, making a fullow right down the center of his head. The negro jumped about 5 feet high, arms and legs extended, shouting, “Lawd ‘O Mercy, Lawd ‘O Mercy!” The last we saw of him he was losing no time going around a corner. Maynard had his first love affair here. Altho’ 9 years old he loved little Mary Kincaid very dearly. One day he found a dime, and decided that he must treat her to a dish of ice cream. On their way to the ice cream parlor Mary’s younger sister happened along, and insisted on accompaning them up town. Maynard and Mary tried to out distance her, but to no avail. Finally Maynard took both of them into the parlor and ordered two dishes of ice cream, all that his money would buy, and Maynard sat on a seat up against the wall prepared to do without in order that Mary might have some ice cream. This was too much for the proprietor, and she filled three dishes, announcing that the third dish was on her. Later, when she seen mother, she told her about it, and remarked what a gallant son mother had. While living at Hull, dad ordered a box car, and Bill, Amos, John and dad loaded it with their farm implements, furniture and live stock, with several bales of hay, and other items, and ordered it sent to Wausaukee, Wisconsin. Only one man was allowed to accompany the live stock, but four went along, just to make sure that all went O.K. Dad attended the car, and the other three boys were stow aways. This proved to be quite an experience for the accompanying group, as the stow aways had to keep hid under the baled hay during the time the train was standing still enroute. This was in the fall of 1914. WAUSAUKEE, WISCONSIN 1914 This is where the box car, containing the live stock, farm machinery, and dad Curtis and the boys arrived. The time was late fall, and a house was rented near Wausaukee, where we stayed until buildings could be built on our new home site near Cedarville, Wisconsin, five miles north of Wausaukee. CEDARVILLE, WISCONSIN 1915 to 1920 Martha Naomi Curtis, and Hilda Loraine Curtis were born here. At the time our new log house was almost completed, Amos, Bill and Roy were upstairs, and one of the boys discovered a dynamite cap and some fuse. The boys decided it should be exploded, and all took cover except Roy, who decided that he would peek around the chimney and watch it go off. The chimney was located in the center of the house, about 15 feet from the exploding cap. Roy was always sorry he risked one eye in watching it, as part of the cap hit his cheek, leaving a permenant scar. Nina was a great explorer when she was 7 years old. One day she returned to the house with the announcement: “I went down in the swamp, set on a stump, sucked my thumb and my feet sapped.” Nina lisped at this time which made her statement sound so cute. The older boys used to threaten to put her in the calf pen if she didn’t quit sucking her thumb. Martha was a doll when she was a baby. She loved to run around scantily clothed, and when Maynard would be laying on his back, resting during noon hours, she would like to sit down on his face, and some times she would be pantless. One day she toddled in the house, and very excitedly exclaimed, “Oh, mom, you know what, a bumble bee came along, stung a chicken, and went right on.” This is where Bessie and Bill had a pickle fight. We usually had several acres of pickles, and sold them to the Libby, McNeil, & Libby Company in Wausaukee. One day while picking pickles, Bill and Bessie agreed between themselves to stand so many feet apart, and with their backs turned toward each other allow each one to throw 3 pickles aiming them at each other. Bessie had the first three throws, and luck was with her. All her throws scored, the last one hitting Bill in the back of the head, splattering pickle all over him. This was too much for Bill and in his anger and excitement let go all three throws so furiously and so fast that none of them hit Bessie. Bill wanted to throw his three again, but dad said, “No, Bill, you’ve had your chance and missed.” Maynard made a little automobile from cultivator wheels, which although quite crude and heavy, proved to be quite satisfactory. It steered real good. One evening, in late fall, about dusk, when snow covered the ground, dad was on his way to the barn to do the milking. In his hands he carried the lantern, milk pails, and some rutabagas which he had cut up for cow feed. He was about half way down the grade between the house and the barn when Anna and I came out of the house, and Anna jumped in the auto, and I started pushing her down the hill with all my might. We were rambling down the grade pretty fast and jokingly I said, “Anna, guide it into him,” – and she did! The impact was dissastrous, knocking him down, skinning him up, and buckets and lantern flying in all directions. I tried to explain to dad how innocent I was, but to no avail. In the fall of 1920, it was decided that we sell the home place in Cedarville, and move to Kansas City, Kansas. We had a public sale, and everything including the farm was sold. We took the train at Wausaukee, 10 P.M. and landed in Kansas City and stayed with Aunt Susan Grable until we could buy a house which turned out to be a property at 640 Tenney Avenue, Kansas City, Kansas. THE END To continue with the history of the Curtis family to our present time would entail considerable research. It is hoped this can be accomplished, and a second edition will be forth coming later. Samuel F. Curtis born July 10, 1866 Samuel F. Curtis died Dec. 28, 1948 Icy Dora Curtis born Aug. 13, 1873 Icy Dora Curtis died Sep. 12, 1963 Elizabeth E. Curtis born Mar. 26, 1890 Elizabeth E. Curtis died Dec. 24, 1891 Edward H. Curtis born March 25, 1892 Roy Clarence Curtis born Jan. 28, 1894 John Andrew Curtis born Dec. 5, 1895 Amos Rigney Curtis born Jan. 17, 1898 William Jennings Curtis born July 13, 1900 William Jennings Curtis died Oct. 26, 1938 Bessie May Curtis born July 8, 1902 Maynard D Curtis born Dec. 28, 1904 Anna Laura Curtis born Aug. 30, 1906 Nina F. Curtis born May 9, 1910 Arthur Woodrow Curtis born Jan. 25, 1913 Hilda L. Curtis born May 11, 1915 Martha Naomi Curtis born June 15, 1917 Thelma Curtis died July 9, 1964 Jessie L. Curtis died Nov. 12, 1964 Lida Curtis died April 30, 1941 Samuel F. Curtis, Icy Dora Curtis, Thelma E. Curtis, Susan Grable, are all buried in the Mount Hope Cemetery, Kansas City, Kansas. MARRIAGES, INCOMPLETE MAKE CORRECTIONS OR ADDITIONS IF INCOMPLETE Edward H. Curtis, Sadie Hastings, July 31, 1908 Edward H. Curtis, Agatha Bartlett Roy C. Curtis, Merle Inman July 21, 1923 John A. Curtis, Vernell Weston, 1919 Amos R. Curtis, Jessie Harper, 1920 William Curtis, Thelma Long, 1922 Bessie Curtis, Otto E. Wolff, 1918 Maynard D Curtis, Rose Braasch, July 26, 1924 Maynard D Curtis, Lida Barber, July 26, 1933 Maynard D Curtis, Thelma Curtis, July 24, 1943 Anna L. Curtis, Alfred Schlyer 1928 Nina Curtis, Howard Glimpse, 1926 Nina Curtis, Murl Rockwood, Ju 16, 1948 Arthur W. Curtis, Rose Curtis 1934 Hilda Curtis, Bernie Davis, Oct. 7, 1937 Hilda Curtis, Harlan Kline Martha Curtis, Frank Nick Martha Curtis, J. B. Dean
Missouri Records Kansas Records Cemetery Transcriptions
Census Transcriptions Marriage Records Obituary Index
Family Research Research Requests Email Webmaster

free web counter
Alienware Computer Coupons