Jonas Brown Cemetery Transcription
Photographed and transcribed by Jane Owens and Johnna Quick.
On 64 Highway, north of Pittsburg, just south of the Nemo Bridge. There
is now a trailer park and resort on the property, the cemetery is in the back
portion of the trailer park. Several family members as well as a couple of
slaves are said to be buried here, however the only marker remaining is for
Jonas Brown. Jonas was one of the first judges elected in Hickory County,
and was crucial in setting up the county seat at Hermitage. The remains of
his home are in the woods just northeast of the cemetery.
Jonas 2-22-1782 7-8-1868
*From Wilsonís History of Hickory County 1907:
25 Apr 1845 John C. Edwards, Governor of the state, appointed Jonas
Brown and Amos Lindsey associate justices. Jonas Brown lived about 2
miles north of what is now the town of Pittsburg, where Napoleon D. Lewis
now lives, and was buried near his old residence about 1865.
Jonas Brown built a dam mill on Lindley Creek above the ford on the
Bolivar and Warsaw road, something like ?of a mile. William Dollarhide
ran a distillery on the John Jackson old place southeast of Preston, and got
his meal ground to make his ďstill beer?at the Jonas Brown mill on Lindley
James S. Blackwell was born on the Jonas Brown place north of Pittsburg
nearly 75 years ago. Mr. Blackwell sold this place to Jonas Brown for $200
Jonas Brown registered 160 acres 20 May 1842.
Jonas Brown had at that time (1840ís) the following children: William,
Preston, James Milton, Josiah, Columbus (Muns) Brown, Sarrah Ann who
married a man named Foster, Jane who was the first wife of Michael W.