Greene County Biographies
Greene County Biographies
From: Past and Present of Greene County, Missouri Early and Recent History and Genealogical Records of Many of the Representative Citizens by Jonathan Fairbanks and Clyde Edwin Tuck HUGH B. INGLER. There is something admirable in the German character, something of wondrous gentleness and keen appreciation in the beauty which life holds, something fine and high. In music the Germans have given the world a magic gamut of sound, from the soft lullaby of the young mother crooning to her pink-cheeked babe to the mighty thunders of dynamic masterpieces. In art, the German school is easily first, at least so considered by many of the world's competent critics, with the wonderful galaxy of painters and sculptors whose frame is as broad as the earth, while in science and in literature, in poetry and in the sweet pastoral beauty of their folk lore the sons and daughters of the Fatherland stand almost without an equal. And what fathers and mothers they make! What homes they build! What garden-like farms they till! "This is a German settlement," we say, and behold! on every hand are clean, fertile fields, neat hedge-rows, great barns bursting with plenty, grunting droves of fat swine, great herds of sleek cattle, and everywhere a scene of bounty and fruition, to say nothing of homes resplendent with good will, good health and honest contentment. A large number of Germans live in Greene county, a number in the vicinity of Republic, and of this nationality the Ingler family is deserving of mention, one of the best-known members of which is Hugh B. Ingler, the present efficient postmaster at that place. He was born in Jo Daviess county, Illinois, July 7, 1870. He is a son of John and Lucinda (Saxon) Ingler. He has a sister, Addie, who married A. A. Pierce, a farmer of Christian county, Missouri, and they have one child, Leo. John Ingler, father of our subject, was born in Germany, and when five years of age he immigrated with his father's family to the United States, the family locating in Baltimore, Maryland, where the grandfather of our subject followed his trade of tailor, however, he purchased a farm near that city, on which he located his family. John Ingler grew to manhood there and received a common school education. When a young man he went to Carroll county, Illinois where he followed general farming for many years, then removed to Greene county, Missouri, purchasing a good farm near Republic, which he sold later and is now living retired from active work. He has a well-improved place and has made a success as an agriculturist. He was married in Carroll county, Illinois, and he and his wife are now advanced in years, but are comparatively hale and hearty. Hugh B. Ingler spent his boyhood days on the home farm in Illinois and there he remained with his parents until about eight years of age, when they moved to near Republic, and at, the latter place he received his education in the public schools. He worked on the farm until he was twenty years of age. Learning the trade of decorating and painting, he became quite expert and followed the same for a period of twenty years. He worked as an expert in a canning factory for a number of years, also worked in Louisiana for the Chicago Building and Manufacturing Company. Finally returning to Republic he served as deputy sheriff of Greene county for two years, 1911 and 1912. He was appointed postmaster at Republic May 6, 1913, and is still incumbent of this office, the duties of which he has discharged in a manner entirely satisfactory to the department and the people. Politically, Mr. Ingler is a Democrat. Fraternally, he belongs to the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, the Woodmen of the World, and Knights of the Maccabees, and he and his family are members of the Christian church. Mr. Ingler was married in Lawrence county, Missouri, November 14, 1894, to Alice Ragsdale. She is a daughter of Branson Ragsdale, who died when she was four years of age. His family consisted of four children, two sons and two daughters. He devoted his active life to farming. Mrs. Ingler grew to womanhood in her native community and was educated in the common schools. Nine children, six of whom are deceased, have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Ingler. Those living are named as follows: Charles W., born September 14, 1896; Ayo Recktor, born October 4, 1903; Louese, born June 1, 1909. GEORGE W. JACKSON. Endowed with a liberal share of good common sense and possessing sound judgment, backed by a well-founded purpose to succeed, George W. Jackson, well-known farmer and amateur botanist of Republic township, Greene county, has labored with the object primarily in view of making a good home for himself and family and acquiring a competency for his declining years. This laudable desire has been realized, and he is in what we sometimes call "easy circumstances," with a sufficient surplus for the proverbial "rainy day," which sooner or later comes to every individual, and which, when not provided for, results in at least much inconvenience and unhappiness if not downright suffering. After farming successfully in this vicinity for over forty years he is now living in retirement, spending quietly the mellow Indian summer of his years, and having an eye for the beautiful in nature, is happy with her wonders spread about him, which he seeks to interpret. Mr. Jackson was born near Knoxville, Tennessee, November 27, 1843. He is a son of John and Christiana (Chenabury) Jackson, both parents natives of Tennessee, where they grew to maturity, were educated in a limited way in the old time subscription schools and there were married. The father was of Scotch-Irish descent and the mother was of German descent. The paternal grandfather of our subject was a Virginian and he spent his early life in the Old Dominion, removing from there to Knox county, Tennessee, and establishing his future home on a farm. After their marriage the parents of our subject took up their residence on a farm in Knox county and resided there until 1870, when they removed to Greene county, Missouri, where three of their sons had preceded them, and here they spent the rest of their lives, the father dying in 1872 and the mother in 1879. Their family consisted of five children, four sons and one daughter, namely: James is deceased; George W., of this sketch; John S. C., a sketch of whom will be found on another page of this volume; Edward L. and Mary Jane were twins. George W. Jackson grew to manhood on the farm and worked there during the crop seasons, and in the winter time attended the district schools. He remained in Tennessee until 1867, when he and two brothers came to Greene county, Missouri, and purchased railroad land, and here they have since resided and prospered by their industry. His brother, John S. C., has accumulated four hundred acres, and our subject's finely improved and productive farm consists of one hundred and sixty acres, on which stands a good home in the midst of attractive surroundings, and he has numerous substantial outbuildings. Some time ago he retired from the active work of the farm and is now renting his farm, which is one of the best in Pond Creek township. Mr. Jackson was married on September 14, 1871, to Charlotta O'Neal, who was born in 1851 in Carroll county, Arkansas, and she received a common school education. She is a daughter of Charles and Martha (Hillhouse) O'Neal, natives of Kentucky, where they grew up and were married and resided until 1850, when they came to Carroll county, Arkansas, living there a while, then came to Greene county in about 1865. The O'Neals are a well-known family, and Mrs. Jackson is a sister of Judge A. J. O'Neal, and George O'Neal. To Mr. and Mrs. O'Neal eleven children were born. Four children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Jackson, namely: Mattie married Luther Wade, a farmer of Pond Creek township, this county, and they have three children; Jason G., also farming in Pond Creek township, married Della Batson, and they have four children; Minnie married Benjamin Squibb, a farmer of Pond Creek township, and they have four children; Nellie, who married Lawrence Coggins, died November 13, 1906, leaving one child, Gladys. Mr. Jackson has long made a study of botany and has spent much time with plants of all kinds common to this locality, raising almost all the herbs and plants used in materia medica, and has had a very satisfactory income from this source. He has won a wide reputation in this field of endeavor, and is regarded as an authority in this line. Politically he is a Republican, and religiously belongs to the Baptist church. He is a man of fine mind and exemplary character and is popular. JOHN S. C. JACKSON. Horticulture is one of the most profitable as well as pleasant vocations, and Greene county has won a high place among her one hundred and thirteen sister counties as a favored section of Missouri for the successful carrying on of this calling. But it requires brains as well as industry to succeed As a horticulturist; one must study, observe closely, experiment, investigate, and know a little about many things; must exercise patience and caution, must know how to select the proper soil and right kind of nursery stock, when and how to fertilize, must watch for frosts, freezes, insect pests and diseases of plants, and know what they are when they appear and how to properly combat them. But the results are worth the cost in money and pains, and it is a healthful, independent and interesting business. One of the successful horticulturists of Greene county is John S. C. Jackson, of Republic township, a man who is well up in the various phases of his work. Mr. Jackson was born in Knox county, Tennessee, August 1, 1845. He is a son of John H. and Christiana (Chanabary) Jackson, both natives of Tennessee, where they were reared and married. His father moved from Virginia to that state in a very early day. The mother's parents were of German and Irish descent. The parents of our subject devoted their active lives to farming in Tennessee and Greene county, Missouri, and died in the latter place. They were the parents of five children, four sons and one daughter, namely: James is deceased; George W., a sketch of whom appears elsewhere in this volume; John S. C., of this sketch; Edward L. and Mary Jane, twins. John S. C. Jackson was reared on the farm and he received his education in the district schools. He left his native state in 1867, and he and two brothers came to Greene county, Missouri, locating in Republic township on a prairie farm, purchasing railroad land, where they still live, the place consisting of one hundred and sixty acres, which they have kept well tilled and well improved during their residence here of nearly a half century. But our subject has prospered and now owns four hundred acres. Their parents came to this place after the sons had settled it, taking up their residence here in 1870, and here they spent the rest of their lives, the father dying in 1872 and the mother in 1879, and were buried here. Our subject makes a specialty of horticulture, in which he is regarded as an authority. He is growing no less than nine varieties of blackberries, and is now making a feature of a berry new to Missouri the "Himalaya," also the "Star of the World." Mr. Jackson was married on March 5, 1871, to Nancy J. Liles, a native of Kentucky and a daughter of Green and Nancy (Collins) Liles, who spent their active lives engaged in farming. To Mr. and Mrs. Jackson nine children have been born, namely: Marshall, a farmer of Republic township, married Ira Guiott and they have three children; Glapha married William Robertson, a farmer in Republic township, has been twice married, first to May Brown, and after her death he married Gertie Finley, and he had five children by his first wife; Quinn Kelly, who is farming near Plano, Missouri, married Miss Claude Taylor, and they have one child; Alfred, who is engaged in merchandising at Plano, married Pearl Batson, and they have one child; Molly, who received a business college education in Springfield, is at home; William, who is farming in Republic township, married Kate Crum, and they have one child; Carlos lives at home; Hattie is also with her parents. Politically, Mr. Jackson is a Republican. He was school director of his district for a period of twelve years. Religiously, he is a member of the Christian church. He is well and favorably known throughout the western part of Greene county, where he is regarded as one of our most extensive, substantial and progressive farmers, stockmen and horticulturists. He has gained and retained the undivided respect of all who knew him. He is always to be found on the right side of all questions looking to the betterment of his community. THE JAMES FAMILY. This is one of the earliest pioneer families in Greene county, where, for a period of three-quarters of a century its members have been active in various circles, doing their full parts in the upbuilding of the locality and leading public-spirited and exemplary lives, so that they have ever borne the best of reputations and have in every way deserved the material success they have been blessed with, as well as the high esteem in which they are universally held. We first hear of David James, a native of Wales, who, when a child, crossed the Atlantic ocean to the New World in an old-time sailing vessel, the trip requiring many weeks. He located in Virginia, from which state he moved to South Carolina, thence to North Carolina, from there to Tennessee, later to Kentucky, then to western Tennessee, where his death occurred. It is believed he was married in South Carolina to Nancy Atchison. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary war, was wounded in battle and he carried the bullet in his arm the rest of his life. He was a blacksmith by trade. One of his near relatives settled in Ohio, and he also had a brother, Enoch, and it is believed that the Mr. James of President Garfield's cabinet was one of the Ohio branch of the family. It was in Henry county, Tennessee, that David James spent his last days and died in 1842. His wife, Nancy Atchison, was born in Ireland, but when an infant, was brought to South Carolina and there grew up and married. Her brothers were Sirgenner, John, Robert and William Atchison. In later years most of the Atchison family moved to Arkansas, some going on to Texas. Mrs. Nancy (Atchison) James died on the old homestead in western Tennessee, about 1840. To David and Nancy James these children were born, Thomas; Polly, who married a second cousin by the name of James, from the Ohio branch of the family; Mrs. Parmelia Wadkins of Kentucky; Mrs. Malinda Hall of Kentucky; Mrs. Aurelia Good, Joseph, John and Robert, all of Tennessee; David was killed when a boy, in Kentucky, by lightning, which struck a tree under which he took refuge during a storm which came up while he was out hunting. Thomas James was born in South Carolina, December 21, 1792, but he grew up and was educated near the Kentucky and Tennessee line. He served as justice of the peace in Madison county, Tennessee, before removing to Missouri. He was a life long farmer, clearing and developing a good farm from the wilderness. It was in 1835 that he removed with his family to Greene county, Missouri, and his death occurred in Missouri while returning from his old home in Tennessee, on November 9, 1837, when a comparatively young man. He married Nancy Gately and their family consisted of nine children, all of whom are now deceased, namely: Mrs. Parmelia Wallace died in Greene county: Irwin David died when young in Tennessee; Levi also died in early life in Tennessee; Mrs. Minerva Putman died in Greene county; Winfrey died in Oregon after the family moved to Greene county; Aurelia died in this county, November 6, 1844; Jason Robert, born February 25, 1827, in Madison county, Tennessee. Jason R., seventh child in order of birth, was about eight years old when he removed with the family in December, 1835, to Franklin township, Greene county, Missouri, and here he grew to manhood and was educated and when only ten years of age assumed charge of and farmed the homestead after the death of his father. His mother also died on the homestead here, April 11, 1863, aged about seventy. During the Civil war, Jason R. was a soldier in the Union army under Captain Jenkins, in the Missouri State Militia, and took part in the battle of Springfield, January 8, 1863. After the war he continued farming here until his death at an advanced age, March 21, 1908. The eighth child in order of birth of Thomas and Nancy (Gately) James was Susan Jane, whose death occurred in Greene county, February 1, 1845; Thomas, the youngest child, died April 14, 1858; he was a minister in the Methodist Episcopal church, South. He married Elizabeth Patterson, by whom one child was born, Nancy Arbelia, who now lives on the old James homestead in Franklin township, this county, operating the entire James estate of two hundred acres, and she has one hundred and two acres of her own which she farms with the assistance of her cousin Robert James, the son of John and Martha (Futrell) James. Nancy James was educated in the township schools and has lived on the home place most of her life. Winfrey James, mentioned above, was a Methodist minister, having preached all over Greene County, where he was widely known in pioneer days, but later moved to the state of Oregon, where he continued preaching and where his death occurred September 17, 1897. He became a presiding elder of a conference of his denomination in that state. He married Sarah Jenkins, first, and later married Jane Williams, after the death of his first wife. The first union was without issue, but four children born of the second marriage, namely: Charles Wesley, who lives in Oregon; John Fletcher lives in that state. Sarah Jane, who married Thomas Bailey, is deceased; for his third wife he married Malinda Baisley and by this union had two children, both living in or near the state of Oregon. Thomas died in early life. Parmelia James, mentioned above, married John Wallace, by whom one child was born, Henry James Wallace, who married Tina Harkness, of Franklin township, Greene county, and three children were born to this union, namely: Blondville, Mrs. Flora Vaughn is deceased; Mrs. Lellian Bryan. Blondville Wallace married Pearl Logan and they have two children, Chesney and Flora Lee. Lellian Wallace married Bert Bryan and they have one child, Helen. Minerva James, mentioned above, married Mansel Putman, a farmer, late of Franklin township, and to this union one child was born, Mary Jane Putman, who married Ammon Knighten, a sketch of whom appears on another page of this volume. Both Mr. and Mrs. Mansel Putman are deceased. Little is known regarding the Gately ancestry. The great-great-grandfather Mercer seems to have been stolen when a child from his home, possibly in the British Isles, and reared by seafaring men, taught when a child, to assist on a sailing ship, especially in tying knots in the rigging. When he was supposed to be about twenty-one years of age he was given his freedom and a fine cup (silver, lined with gold) was presented him, and he took his own name. It is believed that he eventually located in the state of Tennessee. His daughter Jemima, married John Gately, an Italian. In North Carolina, the great-great-grandfather Mercer was living with great-grandfather Gately sometime after the year 1793. The former hid a considerable sum of money and could not remember where he put it, and thinking his son-in-law, John Gately had stolen it, finally killed him, but afterward found the money where he (Mercer) had hidden it. Mercer had a son who was at one time a Congressman. The son helped his father out of his trouble without punishment. Great-grandmother Gately later moved to Kentucky, where she settled. Her children were John, James, Polly, Susan, Nancy, Crecy, Jemima and Phoeba. John married Rebecca Watt and one of his sons was named John Gately also. Polly married William Atchison, a brother of great-grandmother James. Susie married William Jenkins. Nancy married Thomas James. Crecy married William Tedford. Jemima married Sam Bradshaw. Phoeba married Jesse Grace. WILLIAM C. JAMES, M. D. In the history of Springfield and Greene county in connection with the medical profession, the name of Dr. William C. James must necessarily occupy a prominent place, for although he was summoned from the field of action in the prime of life, through a number of years he was one of the representative general practitioners of the Queen City of the Ozarks, progressive, enterprising and capable. Such qualities as he possessed by nature always win success sooner or later, and to Doctor James they brought a satisfactory reward for his well directed efforts and at the same time won and retained the high esteem of his fellow citizens by his honorable record and obliging nature. He was one of the native sons of the Golden state, a class that has done so much in the general development of the Pacific coast country, but few of whom have found it to their advantage to remove from the far West and cast their lot among Missourians. Doctor James was born near Napa City, in the Sacramento Valley, California, November 7, 1858. He was a son of William H. and Lucy A. (Wade) James, both parents being Southerners, the mother going from the South to California when a child and there grew to womanhood and married. William H. James, who was in his earlier years a merchant, but later studied and practiced medicine remaining in California many years, finally removing to southwest Missouri., where he became a well-known physician. His family consisted of seven children, five of whom are still living, namely: J. T., J. B., Dr. E. F., Mrs. J. P. Hubbel, Mrs. Mary Burford, Dr. William C., of this memoir, and Lucy, who is deceased. Dr. William C. James was young in years when he came to Missouri with his parents. He received a common and high school education in Carthage, this state, later attending medical college at Nashville, Tennessee, from which he was graduated with the class of 1880, later taking a post graduate course in New York City. He began the practice of his profession at Marshfield, Webster county, Missouri, in the early eighties, but remained there only a short time when he removed to Springfield, where he remained until his death, maintaining an office on Commercial street, and was regarded as one of the leading general physicians of the city, especially popular on the north side, and he was successful from the first his practice gradually increasing with the years and he was a man who kept well up with the trend of his profession, and although always busy, found time to keep up his studies. Doctor James was married August 8, 1883, to Georgia A. Rush, a native of Pennsylvania, and a daughter of James L. and Frances, C. (Nichols) Rush, the former a native of Pennsylvania of Dutch ancestry, and the mother was born in Webster county, Missouri. She met an unfortunate death in the great cyclone that devastated the town of Marshfield, Missouri, in 1880. James L. Rush came to Missouri when young and settled in Marshfield. He was a lawyer and became one of the leading members of the Greene county bar. Politically, he was a Democrat and was quite active in politics. His family consisted of nine children, six of whom are still living, namely: J. N., Mrs. G. A. James, William H., James L., Margaret and H. B. Mrs. Georgia A. James grew to womanhood in Marshfield and received her education in the schools of that place. She is a member of the Catholic church, and she has a comfortable home on Benton avenue, Springfield. To Dr. James and wife four children were born, three of whom are still living, namely: Frances C., born July 18, 1885, is deceased; James R., born on October 7, 1890; William L., born on August 16, 1898; and Margaret, born October 24, 1901. Dr. James was a member of the Greene County Medical Society, the Missouri State Medical Association, and the American Medical Association. Politically he was a Democrat but was never an office seeker. Fraternally, he belonged to the Masonic Order. The death of Doctor James occurred January 5, 1908. JESSE D. JAQUITH. The respect which should always be accorded the brave sons of the North who left their homes and the peaceful pursuits of civil life to give their services, and their lives if need be, to preserve the integrity of the American Union is due Jesse D. Jaquith. He proved his love and loyalty to the government on the long and tiresome marches in all kinds of situations, exposed to summer's withering heat and winter's freezing cold, on the lonely picket line a target for the unseen foe, on the tented field and amid the flame and smoke of battle, where the rattle of the musketry mingled with the terrible concussion of bursting shells and the diapason of the cannons' roar made up the sublime but awful chorus of death. Mr. Jaquith was born January 8, 1845, near Paris, Edgar county, Illinois. He is a son of Jesse W. Jaquith, a native of New Hampshire, where he spent his earlier years. He studied pharmacy, and having cast his lot with the people of the Middle West, became owner and operator of a drug store at Urbana, Illinois, and he was the first postmaster of that town. Active and influential in public affairs, he was elected a judge of the county court of Champaign county, Illinois. He received a good education in his native state, there learned the shoemaker's trade, which he followed for a number of years, also engaged in farming in New Hampshire. It was in 1839 that he removed to Edgar county, Illinois, among the early pioneers, and there he continued his trade for some time before locating in Champaign county and turning his attention to the drug business. Finally leaving Urbana he came to Holden, Missouri, where he engaged in the shoe business. There he spent the rest of his life, dying in 1881 at the age of seventy years, and was buried at Holden. Politically he was a Democrat. He belonged to the Masonic Order and to the Methodist Episcopal church. His wife Catherine A. Wilson was a native of Kentucky and a daughter of John and Maggie (Buckner) Wilson. To this union the following children were born: Lottie, now deceased, was the wife of John Allen, a farmer; Jesse D., of this sketch; John located in San Francisco and engaged in the machine business; Richard, now deceased, was a shoemaker by trade; Mate (Matilda) married John Cass, a commercial traveler, and they live at Holden, Missouri. Willard Jaquith, grandfather of these children, was born in New Hampshire, from which state he emigrated to Detroit, Michigan, in an early day. He was a farmer in his earlier life. Jesse. D. Jaquith grew to manhood in Illinois and received his education in the public schools of Urbana, leaving his text books at the age of seventeen to enlist in the Federal army, in 1862, in Company G, Seventy-sixth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, at Kankakee. He saw much hard service and took part in numerous battles and skirmishes, including the great siege of Vicksburg and the many engagements incident thereto, also the battles of Jackson and Mobile, and although he was in many close places he was never wounded, neither had he occasion to answer to sick call. For meritorious conduct he was promoted from time to time until he became quartermaster sergeant, and was mustered out as such in July, 1865, at Chicago. He was in the armies of Grant and Sherman. After the war he returned to Urbana, Illinois, and learned the trade of tinsmith, first working for J. M. Davies. Later he came to Warrensburg, Missouri, and worked with J. L. Bettis, finishing his apprenticeship there, then he worked as journeyman tinsmith at Warrensburg until 1870, in which year he returned to Urbana and continued at his trade until 1877, then went to Kansas City and secured employment with the Union Pacific Railroad, working in the company's shops at Armstrong, Kansas, just across the river from Kansas City, Missouri. He was a journeyman tinsmith. He resided at Wyandotte, Kansas, and remained with that road three years. When the towns of Kansas City, Kansas, Wyandotte and Armourdale were consolidated into Kansas City, Kansas, he was the first clerk of the board of education. Mr. Jaquith came to Springfield on February 18, 1887, and took a position with the Kansas City, Ft. Scott & Memphis railroad as tinsmith foreman in their local shops, which are now known as the South Side Frisco shops, having come under the control of the Frisco System in 1900, and this position our subject held till 1915, his long retention in the same being evidence of his faithfulness and skill and his ability to handle men so as to obtain the best results. However, he was foreman tinsmith at the new shops on the North Side for three years. He has been with these roads continuously for a period of twenty-eight years. Mr. Jaquith was a member of the city council of Springfield for four years. Before leaving Urbana, Illinois, he was a member of the board of education for two years and was also city clerk there for two years. As a public servant his record has been a most satisfactory and commendable one. Politically he has always been a stanch Democrat. He is a member of the Baptist church. Back in the seventies he was a member of the Knights of Pythias. Mr. Jaquith was married in 1865, at Warrensburg, Missouri, to Rilla E. Dulin, who was born, reared, and educated in Illinois. To this union two children have been born, namely: Ira, who is a machinist by trade and employed at the new shops in Springfield, married Carrie Burton, and they have two sons and two daughters; Charles was for some time a soldier in the Seventeenth United States Infantry, regular army, saw service in the Philippines, where he was mustered out. FLEMIN T. JARED. Success is only achieved by the exercise of certain distinguishing qualities and it cannot be retained without effort. Those by whom great epoch changes have been made in the political and industrial world began early in life to prepare themselves for their peculiar duties and responsibilities, and it was only by the most persevering and continuous endeavor that they succeeded in rising superior to the obstacles in their way and reaching the goal of their ambition. The life of any successful man, whether he be prominent in the world's affairs or not is an inspiration to others who are less courageous and more prone to give up the fight before their ideal is reached or definite success in any chosen field has been attained. Flemin T. Jared, of the firm of Jared Brothers, well-known merchants of West Commercial street, Springfield, is a man whose example has made for the good of his associates and acquaintances, for his career has been an industrious and useful one. Mr. Jared was born in Buffalo Valley, Tennessee, March 17, 1877. He is a son of Moses A. Jared, also born in that vicinity, where he was reared, attended school and engaged in farming until in 1896, when he removed to Missouri, locating in Howell county, where he continued farming until his death, in September, 1903, at the age of seventy-six years. In his younger days he taught school for some time in his native state, and during the Civil war he taught school in Ripley county, Missouri, from 1860 to 1864, then went to Illinois and taught school in the southern part of that state for a year. He was prominent in the affairs of his locality in Tennessee and held a number of offices including that of judge of the County Court, and he was a justice of the peace for a period of twenty-seven years. He was a Democrat, belonged to the Grange and the Wheelers; also belonged to the Methodist Episcopal church, South. His father, Alexander Jared, was one of the early pioneers in Buffalo Valley, Tennessee, where he engaged in farming, and was also a carpenter by trade. Moses A. Jared was twice married, first to Amanda Price, who died many years ago. His second marriage was to Sarah A. Thompson, who died May 1, 1906, at the age of sixty-seven years, and was buried at Pottersville; Howell county, Missouri. To the first marriage thirteen children were born, and seven children were born to the second union, the subject of this sketch being the eldest of the children by the last marriage. This large family of twenty children were named in order of birth as follows: Yateman died when fifteen years of age; Wade W., born July 1, 1849, was a minister in the Methodist Episcopal church, South, and one time was pastor of a church in Springfield, and was pastor of the Methodist Episcopal church at Malta Bend, Missouri, up to the time of his death, December 10, 1891; Brice, who was engaged in the hotel business at Nashville, Tennessee, died in 1912, at the age of sixty-one years; John W. died in early life; Mary F. also died when young; Martha J., deceased, was the wife of W. A. Holliday, a farmer of Gentry, Putnam county, Tennessee; Samuel is connected with the Dixie College in Putnam county, Tennessee; Tennie, deceased, was the wife of E. Holliday, a minister in the Methodist Episcopal church, South, of Putnam county, Tennessee; James A. is pastor of a Southern Methodist church at Warrensburg, Missouri; Peter is circuit clerk of the court in Cookville, Tennessee; Simon, deceased, was a school teacher and farmer of Putnam county, Tennessee; Augusta is farming in Grayson county, Texas; Robert died when fifteen years of age; Flemin T. of this review; Mary is the wife of H. L. Taylor, of Thayer, Missouri; Alice is the wife of J. W. Cox, of the firm of Cox Brothers, of Commercial street, Springfield, Missouri; Anthony, born December 12, 1881, who is a member of the firm of Jared Brothers, merchants of Springfield, married Elizabeth Heindrich, which union has been blessed with one child: Bettie, familiarly known as Betsey, is the wife of C. A. Cox, who is engaged in the furniture business with his brother in Springfield; Newton, born May 8, 1887, has remained single and is a member of the firm of Jared Brothers of Springfield; Taylor died when fifteen years of age. Flemin T. Jared received his early education in the common schools, then attended the Normal school at Gainesville, Ozark county, Missouri, after which he taught for five years very successfully in the rural schools of Ozark, Howell and Saline counties, Missouri. After his marriage, June 1, 1902, he began farming, which he followed one year in Howell county on rented land, then taught another term of school in that county, after which he moved to Springfield, November 17, 1903, and bought out C. W. Smith, who was engaged in the second-hand furniture business at West Commercial street, where our subject has remained to the present time, and today he does a good business and carries a large stock of furniture, carpets, stoves, bicycles, rugs, linoleum, matting, portieres, lace curtains, granite ware, pictures, lamps, watches, clocks, jewelry, bicycle repairs, etc. He first started in business under the firm name of Sumner & Jared, then for one year the name of the firm was Jared & Endecott. It was Jared Brothers from 1905 to 1906. During the latter year he bought out his brothers' interest, since which time he has been sole proprietor, but has retained the firm name, but two of his brothers work in the store with him. Mr. Jared married on June 1, 1902, R. Isabell Endecott, a daughter of Gabriel C. and Lucinda (Grissom) Endecott, and to this union four children have been born, namely: Froebel T. died at the age of four years; Emerson S., Mabel V. and Brice Ernest. Politically Mr. Jared is a Democrat, and fraternally he belongs to the Gate of the Temple Lodge, Masonic Order; Springfield Lodge No. 218, Independent Order of Odd Fellows; Lodge No. 768, Modern Brotherhood; also the, Modern Woodmen of America and Royal Neighbors. He is an active member of the Methodist Episcopal church, South, Campbell Street church, of which he has been a member of the board of stewards for the past eight years and he is assistant Sunday school superintendent, in fact, is one of the pillars of this well-known church. ROBERT JENKINS. Not many Canadians are found within the borders of Greene county, which is a fact to be deplored, for we who are conversant with these sterling people know that no better citizens are to be found than they, and that community is indeed fortunate who can boast of a colony of them, for they are, without exception, thrifty, persevering, painstaking, and, as a rule, law abiding and honorable in all walks of life. One such is Robert Jenkins, a successful farmer of Jackson township. Mr. Jenkins was born in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada, January 6, 1849. He is a son of William and Sarah (Gordon) Jenkins. The father was born in Paisley, Scotland, and was reared in that country and received a good education. When a young man he learned the iron molder's trade, which he followed during his active life. He was a member of the Presbyterian church. His wife was also a native of Scotland, where she was reared, and there they were married and from that country emigrated to Canada about a year before the birth of our subject, and the family moved to Michigan in 1850, and there the death of the father occurred in 1854. The mother, who was a native of the city of Glasgow, died in Sarnia, Ontario, in 1858, to which place she returned after the death of her husband. To these parents four children were born, namely: Robert, of this sketch; Mrs. Mary Gray, James and William. The last named is deceased. Robert Jenkins was reared in Canada and Michigan until he was fourteen years old, at which age he joined the United States army, in the fall of 1863, and fought with the Federals in our great Civil war, under Captain Steele, of the Eighth Michigan Cavalry. He remained in the army until the close of the war, seeing considerable hard service. He was with Sherman on the march to the sea through Georgia, took part in the battles of Knoxville, Tennessee, and others, and was honorably discharged at Raleigh, North Carolina. After the close of the war he went to St. Louis, and later to Kansas, where he learned the bricklayer's trade. From there he went to Texas, thence to Mississippi, then returned to Missouri and located in Greene county in 1872, where he has since resided, owning a good farm in Jackson township. Mr. Jenkins has been twice married, first, to Mary Blankenship, by whom three children were born, namely: Inez, Mrs. Mazie Baxter, and the youngest died in infancy. The mother of these children passed away while living in Springfield. Mr. Jenkins then married, on February 27, 1890, Mrs. Ida M. (Underwood) Shinn, widow of Grovener A. Shinn. She was born in Milton, Illinois, April 2, 1856. She is a daughter of F. J. and Daphna J. H. (Bridgeman) Underwood. Mrs. Jenkins was reared in Illinois and received a good education. She came to Missouri in 1871 and was married in 1873 to Mr. Shinn, by which union three children were born, namely: John, Grovner Leslie and Mrs. Nellie U. Gross. Mrs. Jenkins last marriage has been without issue. Politically, our subject is a Democrat. He belongs to the Knights of Pythias, and is a member of the Episcopal church. WILLIAM THOMAS JENNINGS. Among the men of southwestern Missouri who have appreciated present day conditions and opportunities is William Thomas Jennings, the present popular and efficient cashier of the Bank of Bois D'Arc. He has profited by his ingenuity and persistency in the business world as a result of the favorable conditions existing in the Ozark region, where he has been contented to spend his life. In his earlier career he was a successful teacher and has also been a public official, but to whatever he has addressed himself he has made a success, being a man of energy, correct principles and public spirit. Mr. Jennings was born near Carthage, Jasper county, Missouri, July 17, 1875. He is a son of William and Sarah (Allen) Jennings. The father was born in Lawrence county, this state, was reared on a farm and educated in the common schools. He has followed general farming all his life and is still living in Lawrence county on a farm. Politically, he is a Democrat, and he belongs to the Presbyterian church, of which denomination he was an active minister for some twenty-five years. William T. Jennings, of this sketch, grew to manhood on the home farm and assisted with the general work there during the crop seasons, and during the winter he attended the public schools in his community, later spent two years in the Marionville Collegiate Institute at Marionville, Lawrence county. He began life for himself by teaching school, which he followed six years with success in Lawrence county and one year in Stotts City, Missouri. He served as deputy county clerk of Lawrence county from 1903 to 1907 in a highly acceptable manner, then came to Bois D'Arc, Greene county, as cashier of the Bank of Bois D'Arc, which position he has since filled in a manner that has reflected much credit upon his fidelity, energy and honesty and to the satisfaction of the stockholders and patrons of the bank, and has done much to increase the prestige of this sound and popular institution. Mr. Jennings was married August 21, 1901, to Hattie F. Wormington, who was born near Pierce City, Missouri, May 21, 1878. She is a daughter of James H. and Gaddy (Boswell) Wormington, a highly respected family of this section of the state, where Mrs. Jennings grew to womanhood and received her education. To Mr. and Mrs. Jennings four children were born, namely: Bonnie N, born September 1, 1902; Allena May, born September 21, 1904; Richard W., born October 19, 1907; and William K., born April 6, 1914. ,Politically, Mr. Jennings is a Republican, and in religious matters he is a member of the Methodist church. Fraternally, he has long been active in the Masonic Order, being a member of the Bois D'Arc Lodge No. 449, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons; Ash Grove, No._____, Royal Arch Masons; Zabud Council No. 25, Royal and Select Masters. He has filled the chair of senior warden two years. He is also a member of Lodge No. 452, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. It is a pleasure to meet a man like Mr. Jennings, who is uniformly courteous and agreeable and whose integrity is unquestioned. He is in every way deserving of the high regard in which he is held by all with whom he has come in contact. HARRY SANFORD JEWELL. The name of Harry Sanford Jewell is well known in newspaperdom in Missouri for he has long been the motive force behind the Springfield Daily Leader, one of the leading Democratic newspapers of the state and one of the best known papers of the Southwest—an organ that has done much for the upbuilding of the Queen City and the entire Ozark region. Mr. Jewell was born in Wyandotte, Kansas, August 11, 1867. He is a son of the late J. B. Jewell, a well-remembered publisher, who was engaged in the newspaper business in Missouri for a period of forty years. He was also a minister in the Methodist Episcopal church, having been ordained in 1869, and engaged in regular work as pastor of various churches from that year until 1880, in which year he retired from the ministry and resumed his newspaper career, purchasing The Democrat at Carrollton, Missouri, of which he was owner and editor from that year until 1893. Removing from Carrollton to Springfield in 1895, he became editor of the Springfield Leader-Democrat, the latter part of the name being later dropped. He was connected With the Leader for many years, also had other interests in this city. His death occurred March 23, 1907. He was a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and held the highest honor, grand master of Missouri, during the year 1892, also served as grand patriarch of the Encampment branch. He established the Triple Link, the official paper of the order, in 1875 and was editor and publisher until his death. He also represented the order at various meetings of the sovereign grand lodge of America. His widow still lives at the old homestead here. Harry S. Jewell, was nine years old when the family located at Carrollton Missouri. There he received a public school education, and learned the newspaper business under his father, associating with him in business in the publication of The Democrat of that city in 1888. He removed to Springfield in 1893 and became business manager of the old Springfield Democrat, a morning daily paper, which was purchased by The Leader in May, 1895, and he has ever since been connected with the paper of which he is now owner and publisher. He is also owner and publisher of The Ozark Countryman, a monthly farm journal. He is president of the Springfield Paper Supply Company. He built and still owns the Jefferson Theatre in Springfield, a popular vaudeville house. The Leader occupies its own substantial two-story brick building, which is equipped with modern presses, type-setting machines etc., being one of the best plants of its size in the Southwest, and a large force is employed here. Mr. Jewell was married in 1889, in Carrollton, to Abba T. Kelly, a daughter of the late William H. Kelly, of Carrollton, Missouri. She was born at Strathroy, Canada, and moved with her parents to Carrollton, this state, in 1870, and was there educated in the public schools and in a convent of Independence, Missouri. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Jewell—John, now twenty-three years of age, was educated in the local schools and at this writing is attending the school of journalism at the State University at Columbia, Missouri; Marguerite, now sixteen years of age, is a student in Drury College. Politically, Mr. Jewell is a Democrat and while he has never sought political leadership has been a loyal defender of the party's principles through his newspaper. Fraternally, he is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows, the Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks, the Royal Arcanum and the Travelers' Protective Association. He also belongs to the Springfield Club, the James River Club and the Country Club. JOHN HUNT JOHNSON. When we refer to the late John Hunt Johnson as a true Kentuckian all who are familiar with the people of that fine old state will at once acquiesce in the statement that the biographer has bestowed upon him a genuine compliment, for where would one find a more splendid type of citizen than the Kentuckian of the old school, especially, with his independent spirit, self-reliance, courage, hospitality, obliging and courteous disposition? Mr. Johnson was no exception to the rule, and all who knew him praise him for his many commendable qualities of head and heart. His life was a long and busy one, his active years being spent in merchandising and agricultural pursuits. Mr. Johnson was born in Daviess county, Kentucky, July 1, 1824. He was a son of Jack and Lucy (Huston) Johnson. Jack Johnson was a native of North Carolina, from which state he came to Kentucky when a young man and was a farmer on a large scale, owning a fine plantation in Daviess county and a great many slaves. His death occurred in 1861. His wife was born in North Carolina also, and her death occurred in 1863. John H. Johnson grew up on the homestead in Daviess county, Kentucky, where he worked when a boy. He had little opportunity to obtain an education. He remained with his parents until he became of age, then engaged in merchandising in Calhoun, his native state, but in 1857 went to farming in McLean county, Kentucky, and lived there twelve years, and at one time fire destroyed practically everything that would burn on his farm. During the war between the states he had many thrilling experiences but was not a soldier. In 1869 he went to Louisville and engaged in the tobacco business there, moving there in order to give his children proper educational advantages. He remained there eight years, his work being principally on the road, however, during that time. Leaving the Blue Grass state in 1877 he removed with his family to Missouri and located on a farm near Lebanon, Laclede county, and engaged in farming and stock raising until 1894, when he retired from active life and located in Springfield, where he spent the balance of his days. Mr. Johnson was married, April 28, 1853, to Anna M. Singleton, of Calhoun, Kentucky. She was born in Hardingsburg, that state, June 8, 1831, and was a daughter of Stanley and Mary (Daniel) Singleton. The father was born in Breckinridge county, Kentucky, June 27, 1777, and died July 11, 1869. The mother of Mrs. Johnson was born in Clark county, Kentucky, December 12, 1776, and died February 22, 1864. Mr. Singleton received an excellent education, became a noted lawyer, in fact was for years one of the leading members of the bar in Kentucky. Mrs. Johnson grew to womanhood in her native state, was educated there, and she proved to, be a most worthy helpmeet to our subject in every respect, and her admirable qualities have always made her beloved by all with whom she comes in contact. The following children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Johnson, named as follows: Doctor Breckinridge, deceased; Dr. Samuel A. is conducting sanitarium on North Jefferson street, Springfield; Clebourne, deceased; Judge Arch A., a well known jurist of Springfield; Fon L. lives in Joplin, Missouri; Mary is the widow of John Bigbee; Sue E. is the widow of Joe Wilicke Anna V. lives at home. Mr. Johnson was a Democrat and was very active in the affairs of his party. In religious matters he belonged to the Presbyterian church. The death of Mr. Johnson occurred on December 29, 1912, in his eighty-ninth year, closing a commendable career of nearly five score years. He was truly a grand old patriarch. JOHNSON SANITARIUM. Dr. Samuel A. Johnson, who is superintendent of the Johnson Sanitarium (for the treatment of mental and nervous diseases), was born September 15, 1863, in Daviess county, Kentucky. He is a son of John Hunt Johnson, deceased, and Anna M. (Singleton) Johnson. The father was born in Daviess county, Kentucky, July 1, 1824, and the doctor's mother was born in Hardinsburg, that state, June 5, 1832, and is still living, being now eighty-three years of age; she makes her home in Springfield. In 1872 John H. Johnson moved to Louisville in order to give his children better educational advantages, remaining in that city eight years. During this period he engaged in the tobacco business. He removed with his family to Missouri in 1878, locating on a farm near Lebanon, Laclede county, where he engaged in general farming and stock raising until 1894 when he retired from active life and located in Springfield where he spent the rest of his days. Dr. Samuel A. Johnson received his education in the schools of his native state, later studied medicine in the Kentucky Medical College at Louisville, Kentucky, from which institution he was graduated. Not long thereafter he came to Springfield, Missouri, where he engaged in the general practice of medicine for a period of six years, then was employed in the state hospital for the insane at Nevada, Missouri, where he remained six years. He came to Springfield in 1911, and founded the Johnson Sanitarium for the treatment of mental and nervous diseases, this being the pioneer institution of its kind in this part of the state. It has been successful, from the first, largely because of the cooperation of the physicians of the southern part of the state, and most gratifying results have been obtained; the prestige of the institution is enhanced by courteous treatment to .all and satisfied patients. The institution is pleasantly and conveniently located at 807 Jefferson street. It is modernly appointed and completely equipped in every respect for the work which Dr. Johnson has outlined to do here, and its future is assured. The institution conducts a training school for nurses where earnest devoted girls are in attendance and constantly study to promote the welfare and comfort of patients. Dr. Johnson was married to Isadore W. Allen, of Harrisonville, Missouri, October 8, 1901. She is a daughter of James T. and Isadore (Young) Allen. She was one of two children and was born in Woodford county, Kentucky. Her paternal grandfather, Capt. James Trimble, served in the Revolutionary war, as captain of a company of riflemen under General Lewis. He remained in the service of his country all through the struggle for independence. He was born in Augusta county, Virginia, in 1756. Previously he had served at the memorable battle of Point Pleasant during the Colonial war. He married Jane Allen about 1780. She was born, March 15, 1855, in Augusta county, Virginia. Her father, Hugh Allen, was killed at the battle of Point Pleasant. After the close of the Revolutionary war, Captain Trimble and wife moved to Woodford county, Kentucky, and were prominent in the early history of that state. Mrs. Johnson's great-grandfather Trimble was opposed to slavery and he made application in the courts at Lexington, Kentucky, to manumit them. His request was refused several times, but was finally granted through the efforts of Henry Clay, then a young lawyer from Virginia. Mr. Trimble's sons became distinguished men. Three of them held commissions in the war of 1812. Allen Trimble, one of the sons, became governor of Ohio; William Trimble was a colonel in the regular army and was also a United,States senator, his death ,occurring while a member of the senate. James M. Trimble was a prominent preacher. Dr. Cary Trimble was a member of Congress. James Trimble died in Kentucky in 1804. Mrs. Johnson's maternal great-grandfather, Capt. John Peck, was on Governor Hancock's staff at the time he was chairman of the committee that signed the Declaration of Independence. Hancock, it will be remembered, was one of the early governors of Massachusetts. James T. Allen, father of our subject's wife, was a widely known stock dealer of Kentucky. He is at this writing making his home at Harrisonville, Missouri. His wife died in Woodford county, Kentucky, many years ago. Politically, Dr. Johnson is a Democrat, and he and his wife belong to, the Methodist Episcopal church, South. SILAS M. JOHNSON. Silas M. Johnson was born in Tennessee, August 30, 1855. He is a son of John A. and Nancy (Ferguson) Johnson. The father was a son of Benjamin and Betsy Johnson, the former a native of Scotland, from which country he immigrated to North Carolina in an early day, and in that state his son John was born, and was four years of age when the family removed to Tennessee where he grew up and married. Nancy Ferguson was a native of Tennessee, in which state she spent her early life. Benjamin Johnson spent the rest of his life in Tennessee, dying there, after an active life on the farm. John A. Johnson spent his boyhood on the farm, and received his education in the common schools at Pulaski, Giles county, Tennessee, and began his career as a farmer in that vicinity. He married in Macon county, that state. During the Seminole Indian war in Florida he enlisted in a Tennessee regiment and served with credit. Politically, he was a Republican, and he belonged to the Christian church. His family consisted of twelve children, namely: Benjamin, deceased; William, who was a soldier in the Union army, was killed in battle; James was also a soldier in the Federal ranks during the Civil war; Mrs. Clarissa E. Powell was next in order; Louis lives on the Carthage road in this county; Agnes is deceased; John is railroading in California; Neil owns and operates a ranch in Colorado; Mary makes her home with our subject; Silas M. of this review; Nannie is deceased; one child died in infancy. John A. Johnson, the father, left Tennessee in 1854 and lived in Texas a year; then moved up Arkansas, where he lived until 1863, in which year he located in Greene county, Missouri, purchasing a farm of one hundred and sixty-eight acres and on this spent the rest of his life. Silas M. Johnson grew to manhood on his father's farm and he received his early education in the district schools, and he has devoted his life to general farming and stock raising. He owns sixty-six acres in Campbell township, where he has a substantial home with many modern conveniences, large barns and well-kept surroundings. Mr. Johnson has remained unmarried. Politically, he is a Democrat. He belongs to the old brick Christian church in his vicinity. He is a member of the Anti-Horse Thief Association. He leads a quiet life, and personally, is a very accommodating gentleman and is therefore well liked by all who know him. A. J. JOHNSTON. A forward-looking, dynamic-energied citizen of Springfield, a man of vision and purpose, who has in many ways aided in Missouri's betterment, is A. J. Johnston. Mr. Johnston was born in Washington county, this state, near Potosi, on June 14th, in the year 1869, of English and German parentage. His father was a minister of the Christian church, later joining the Baptist communion. While still a mere child he was brought to Houston, Texas county, and was reared on a farm near the county seat. His equipment for the affairs of life in the way of an education came from the common schools and the training of a model Christian home. Reaching manhood's estate, in 1890, he and Miss Verta Cross were married and for twenty-five years now have faced sunshine and storm together. Mrs. Johnston is the daughter of T. A. Gross, of Marion, Ohio. The four children who have blessed this union are, Ray Augustus, Floyd Albert, Glen Paul and Beulah, but the little girl crossed over the river many years ago. Some six years ago, Mr. Johnston moved to Springfield and for the last five years has been in the real estate business. He has made a number of deals and always has on his books a list of good properties. When he came to Springfield he determined to give of his talent, time and money in aiding the upbuilding of Greene county and its capital, and has never failed to do his part. In his chosen business, Mr. Johnston has always stood high, for he is honest and careful in all his dealings. Recently he has leased a suite of rooms in the Landers building, which are perfectly adapted to the business, fitted up with every modern convenience. Mr. Johnston has been prominently identified with the development of southern Missouri, in which he has extensive interests. No one has given more time, thought and effort to bringing before the people of the United States the great resources of the Ozark region and the opportunities which are presented here for men of moderate means to get a start and secure a competence in a few years. Prominent among the propositions which he has on hand at the present time is the disposition of the Springdale ranch, the only body of land of its kind remaining in this section. Eight thousand acres of virgin soil under laid with mineral wealth and covered with a forest in which valuable timber abounds, here await development. The position of this great tract of land is in the midst of a portion of the country in which important projects are on hand and rapid progress is being made. Springdale ranch is interesting, not only in connection with prospective developments there, but in the fact that it is a great reservation in which the natural resources of the Ozark region are shown in a remarkable manner, exhibiting to the people of this day and generation a view of the land as it appeared to the pioneers who made their way into this country in the first quarter of the nineteenth century, a reminder of the vision which excited the enthusiasm of the French explorers of an earlier period, causing them to write charming descriptions of this portion of the domains of the king of France, then known as Louisiana. Samples of ore taken from the Springdale ranch have been sent to a prominent assayer at Denver, Colorado, who reports a value Of $78.90 of gold, silver, lead and zinc per ton. JAMES B. JOHNSTON. One of the well-known citizens of the north side in Springfield is James B. Johnston, the popular justice of the peace, who has been a citizen of Greene county for nearly thirty years. Over three decades of his life has been devoted to railroading on various roads and in various capacities, and for some time with the Frisco system, his last position being passenger conductor. He is a veteran of the Union army, having fought gallantly for his adopted country during its greatest crisis, although he was born under another flag. Since casting his lot among us he has been regarded as a good citizen in every respect. Mr. Johnston was born in Toronto, Canada, September 4, 1841. He is a son of Benjamin and Ann (Davison) Johnston. The father was born in the same city and province, March 14, 1809, and the mother was born in Nova Scotia, May 30, 1813. They grew to maturity in their native Dominion and were educated in the common schools and married there, establishing their home in Toronto, where they lived until 1846, when they removed to Carroll county, Illinois, making the overland journey by team, after crossing the lake, and located on the wild prairie, where the father of our subject secured land, which he developed into a good farm, and there spent the rest of his life engaged in general farming. He learned to be a mechanic when young and worked at his trade for a number of years. His death occurred at Sterling, Illinois, February 3, 1873, and there the death of his wife occurred in July, 1890, having survived him seventeen years. They were the parents of nine children, three of whom are still living; they are: James B., of this review; Mary E., and Eugenia. James B. Johnston was five years of age when his parents removed with him from his native province to Carroll county, Illinois, and there he grew to manhood on his father's farm, which he helped develop, and he received his education in the district schools in that neighborhood, later attending the Rock River Seminary in Ogle county, that state, and he was still a student in that institution when the Civil War broke out, and on November 5, 1861, he enlisted from Carroll county, in Company B, Seventh Illinois Cavalry, under Col. William Pitt Kellogg. Henry C. Forbes was the captain and Gen. Benjamin Grierson and he did a great deal of scouting and raiding, including the well known Grierson raid. He was discharged at Nashville, Tennessee, December 17, 1864, receiving an honorable discharge. He returned home at once, and later entered a commercial college in Chicago, where he spent one summer and remained in that city during the summer of 1865, and in September went home, remaining on the farm, and in February of 1867 went to Omaha, Nebraska, where he took a position as brakeman with the Union Pacific railroad, at which he worked until 1868, when he quit and went to Iowa, where he engaged in business for himself until 1874, when he took up railroading again and worked as brakeman, freight and passenger conductor on several different roads, and in 1886 he came to Springfield, Missouri, and went to work on the Ozark division of the old Kansas City, Ft. Scott & Memphis road, later worked for the Frisco. He continued railroading until the fall of 1898, when he was elected justice of the peace, and he has been re-elected three times, and is now serving his fourth term. His office is located at 212 1/2 East Commercial street, Springfield. That he has given the utmost satisfaction as a public servant is evident from the fact that he has been retained so long in office. His decisions have ever been noted for a clear conception of the law and for their uniform fairness to all parties concerned, and they have seldom met with reversal at the hands of higher tribunals. Mr. Johnston was married twice, first on October 15, 1868, at Boone, Iowa, to Amelia L. Mastin, a native of Illinois, and to this union four children were born, all surviving at this writing, namely: Benjamin R., John D., Ida M. and Verde D. On January 15, 1889, our subject married Rebecea McRae, which union has been without issue. Politically, Mr. Johnston is a Republican. He is a member of the McCroskey Post No. 210, Grand Army of the Republic, the Order of Railway Conductors and the Knights of Pythias. CAPT. GEORGE MARTIN JONES. Each individual is merged into the great aggregate, and yet the type of character of each is never lost. There is much of profit and a degree of fascination in even a succinct life portrayal of men, when the delineations, if only in a cursory way, are but the tracings of a life memoranda, which has for its object the keynote of a given personality. The accomplishments of a human being are, as a rule, measured by his capacity and strength, and his ingenious tact in using them. If a poets lines lack harmony, we are justified in concluding that there is certain absence of harmony in himself. Hayden failed as an artist; we see the, reason why, when we read his life; and the taste of opium can be detected in the "Ancient Mariner" and "Christabel," with the semi-acuteness in which their author enjoyed the poisonous drug. A man's work or deed takes us back to himself, as the sunbeam back to the sun. It is stern philosophy, but true, that in the collossal spot called the world, failure and success are not accidents, but strict justice. Capt. George Martin Jones, one of the best known and one of the most representative citizens of Greene county has led a successful, useful and honorable life because he understood the basic principles of cause and effect and directed his efforts to worthy ends. Captain Jones was born in Shelby county, Tennessee, October 19, 1836. He is a son of Henry T. and Mary E. (Waller) Jones, and a grandson of James and Jane (Slaughter) Jones. James Jones, as the name indicates, was of Welsh descent, wag a native of King and Queen county, Virginia, and his wife was a native of King William county, Virginia, but her death occurred in the former county, October 1, 1810. James Jones moved to Giles county, Tennessee, in 1816, where he died May 20, 1820. According to family tradition he was a captain in the Revolutionary war. His family consisted of the following children, all born in Virginia, namely: William D. C., born December 13, 1799, emigrated to Tipton county, Tennessee, and later to Burleston county, Texas, where he died; Henry Tandy, father of the subject of this sketch, was born April 3, 1801; Martin S., born May 5, 1802, died in Marshall county, Tennessee; George Washington, born March 15, 1806, spent most of his life in Lincoln county, Tennessee, where he died; for fourteen years he represented his district in the congress of the United States; he was never married; Richard M., born May 22, 1807, emigrated first to Tennessee and later to Greene county, Missouri, where he died; Mary Jane, born September 16, 1810, married George Small, reared a large family, and died in Shelby county, Tennessee; Martha died when about three years old. The four sons and one daughter who grew to maturity separated in the latter part of 1820 and were never all together again until April 4, 1872, a period of fifty-two years, when they met at the home of Henry T. Jones, our subject's father, in Shelby county, Tennessee. All of them lived to old age and died loved and respected by friends and acquaintances. Henry T. Jones reached an advanced age, passing well into his eighties, surviving his wife many years, her death having occurred in 1856. These parents were consistent Christians and members of the Methodist church, and later the Methodist Episcopal church, South. Henry T. Jones was a local preacher in that church and for a large part of his active life had and kept regular appointments for preaching. He was also an active member of the Masonic fraternity—his advice and counsel being much sought after by members of that order. He was for years a member of the county court of his county. Although he received but a limited education in his native community in the Old Dominion, he became a well informed man, being self-taught. He was young in years when he took up his residence in Giles county, Tennessee, and there he married and spent a number of years there and emigrated to Shelby county, where he passed the remainder of his life. He was known as an honest, industrious and hospitable man, a fine type of the older Southern gentleman. The maiden name of Captain Jones' grandmother was Ann Holmes. She was married to John Waller. They were natives of Virginia, probably King and Queen county, and were of Irish descent. To them were born four daughters: Lucy, the oldest, was born February 25, 1783 married John Hazelwood, and to them ten children were born; Nancy, the second, was born February 2, 1786, married Elisha Clark, but their union was without issue and they reared an adopted daughter, Lucy; Martha was born October 12, 1790, married Thomas Abernathy and to them seven children were born; Mary Edmonds, fourth and youngest was born August 15, 1798, and lived to be fifty-eight years old; she first married John Creath and three sons were born to them, namely: James A., born November 19, 1818, .and he first married Nancy Amonett, who became the mother of one son, Samuel, who died when about three years old, his mother dying a few years later. Martha, the sister of his first wife, became the second wife of James A., and to them were born three children, Nancy Irene, Joseph Henry and Mabel; he died May 21, 1885. John W. Creath was born July 20, 1820, remained unmarried, and died March 15, 1942; Thomas B., born April 4, 1822, married Elizabeth Jones (no relation of the Jones family of this sketch), and to them nine children were born, all of whom died before arriving at the age of maturity. All the four daughters of our subject's grandmother grew to womanhood and were married in Virginia and Mr. Creath died there. Later all of them and their families moved to middle Tennessee, the mother of Captain Jones making her home in Giles county. Later her father came to live with her and continued to make his home with her after her marriage to Henry T. Jones, and he died shortly after the birth of her son, Nicholas Jones. The daughters were all married before the death of the Captain's grandmother, except the mother of the Captain who lived with and kept house for her father until her marriage. Henry Tandy Jones and Mary E. (Waller) Creath were married December 22, 1825, and to this union seven children were born, namely: Mary Ann, born December 6, 1826; Lucy Jane, born November 19, 1832, who was adopted and reared by her Aunt Nancy; Martha C.; Nicholas F.; Nancy Clark, born August 14, 1834; George M., of this sketch; Richard Waller, born May 6, 1839, died when about eight years of age. Mary Ann Jones married W. C. Montgomery and to them five children were born, namely: Mary Gertrude, Robert Waller, James Creath, Florence and Mary Ann, who died in infancy. Lucy Jane married Orville M. Alsup, which union resulted in the birth of nine children, as follows: Joseph Clark, Nancy Isadore (Dora), John Henry, James Richard, Nicholas Mortimer, William Waller, Jefferson D., and. Beauregard C., which two were twins, and Martha Caroline, who died quite young. Nicholas Fain Jones was educated for and became a lawyer, locating in Springfield, Missouri, where he married Mary Ann Shackelford, daughter of Dr. Gabriel Shackelford, and to them four daughters were born, Georgia, Mary, Gabriella, and "Bitsie," pet name, who died very young. Martha Caroline married Roscoe E. Cole, and to them three daughters were born, Mary Frances, Ida Jane and Lucy Alzada. Nancy Clark Jones never married, but she became the foster mother of Mary Gertrude, oldest daughter of her sister Mary, who being reared and cared for by her to womanhood was married to J. Claude Buster and gave birth to one child, Gertrude, and shortly afterwards died, and her Aunt Nancy became a mother to little Gertrude, who in after years married George D. McDaniel, a well known banker of Springfield, Missouri. Florence, whose mother died when she was about two years old, was also reared and given a mother's care by her Aunt Nancy. Captain George M. Jones grew to manhood on the home farm in Shelby county, Tennessee, and received a common school education in that vicinity. When seventeen years old he went to Memphis, Tennessee, and sold dry goods for the firm of Cossitt, Hill & Talmadge, remaining with them three years, receiving for his first year's service, seventy-five dollars and board; for the second, one hundred dollars, and the third, one hundred and fifty dollars. Being ambitious to get a start in the world and economical he saved a part of his meager earnings. He came to Springfield, Missouri in 1857 to visit a brother who was practicing law here, but went back to Tennessee after a short time. In the fall of the same year he returned to Springfield and engaged in the general merchandising business, handling dry goods, groceries and hardware, under the firm name of Miller, Jones & Company. After remaining here a year he went to Rolla, Phelps county, Missouri, and embarked in the commission business. At that time Rolla was the end of the railroad running southwest from St. Louis. He continued this business until the Civil war began in 1861. He was out on a collecting trip when the Federal army first reached Rolla. He did not return to that place to resume business, but came to Springfield and enlisted in the Confederate service, becoming a member of Capt. Dick Campbell's company, of Missouri State Guards. He was later transferred to Company A, Foster's Regiment, McBride's division, Confederate army. Shortly afterward he was made quartermaster, with the rank of captain. On account of ill health, he was honorably discharged at Jacksonport, Arkansas, in August, 1863. In 1864 he re-enlisted and was for sonic time acting provost-marshal in southeastern Arkansas. He surrendered and received his parole at Monroe, Louisiana, in the spring of 1865, having fought faithfully and gallantly for the Southland, the long time home of his ancestors and which he has always loved. Captain Jones went back to Shelby county, Tennessee, in 1865, and there remained until 1868. While there he took a contract to furnish the Memphis & Charleston Railroad Company three thousand cords of wood for fuel. He then returned to Greene county, Missouri, where he has since resided, locating in the eastern part of the city in December, 1868. For two or three years he was engaged in the real estate business here, then took up general farming, owning a valuable place, a part of which was within the corporate limits of the city of Springfield. He devoted his attention successfully to this line of endeavor many years, his home place containing three hundred and fifty acres, and he also owned a fine farm at Campbell Station containing three hundred and sixty acres. He kept his land well improved and under a high state of cultivation, and was rated among the most substantial agriculturists in this part of the state. In later life he went into the banking business and for some time was president of the Greene County National Bank, later was president of the Central National Bank, both at Springfield. He was eminently successful in this field of endeavor, being by nature a business man of keen perception and wise foresight, and possessing the personal characteristics of a progressive man of affairs, enjoying to the utmost the confidence and good will of all with whom he came in contact either in a business or social way. He continued in the banking business until he sold the last named bank to the people who operated it under the name of the Merchants' National Bank, in 1895, since which time Capt. Jones has been living retired, spending his declining years quietly in his attractive home, surrounded by all the comforts of life as a result of his earlier years of judicious activity. Capt. Jones was married on October 15, 1868, in Lee county, Arkansas, to Mrs. Elizabeth D. (Berry) Campbell, widow of Col. L. C. Campbell, and the oldest daughter of Maj. Daniel Dorsey and Olivia (Polk) Berry, a highly respected old family of Springfield, Missouri. To this union three children were born, namely: Mary Elizabeth, born August 12, 1869, married George McClellan Sebree, November 29, 1893, and to this union three children have been born: George McClellan, Jr., Alice F., and Robert H., all of whom are at home; Clara Russell, second child of our subject, was born June 29, 1872, married Frank P. Clements, December 20, 1898, and died April 18, 1906, her union having been without issue; George Washington, youngest child of the Captain, was born May 7, 1875, was married to Catherine Holbrook, January 10, 1907; they reside in Des Moines, Iowa, and have two children, Nancy and Catherine. The wife and mother was called to her eternal rest on October 13, 1885, leaving her three children comparatively young, but Capt. Jones gave them every advantage for education and culture. Their mother's training had laid for them a good foundation but for their future care and training they are largely indebted to their aunt, Nannie. Mrs. Jones was a member of the Methodist Episcopal church, South. For a time Capt. Jones was one of the board of curators of the Missouri State University, Columbia, Missouri, also a member of the executive board of Drury College, Springfield. He was also for a number of years president of the Confederate Cemetery Association at Springfield. He has always manifested a great deal of interest in the organization known as the United Confederate Veterans, and for some time was commander of the state organization, and was head of the Springfield camp of the same. He has been an active member here since the first organization of the camp. He has attended frequently the national reunions of the Confederate veterans, and was the prime mover in securing the transfer of the Confederate Cemetery at Springfield to the United States Government for its care and keeping. Fraternally he is a member of the Masonic Order, including the Blue Lodge. He has long been influential in the affair's of the Methodist Episcopal church, South, of which he has been a devout member since a boy, and he is one of the pillars of St. Paul's, one of the largest churches of this denomination in Missouri. He has been a trustee and steward in the church for a period of forty years or more, and several times he has been a delegate to the general conference of this denomination. Greene county has never had a better citizen than Capt. Jones. His long residence here has been of great benefit to the county and Queen City in material, civic and moral ways, and he is eminently entitled to the high esteem in which he is universally held. HENRY B. JONES. A gentleman who has been considered one of the best farmers and stock raisers in the vicinity of Elwood, Greene county, is Henry B. Jones, who, as a citizen is intelligent and enterprising, combining with himself those sterling qualities of manhood that make not only a useful member of society, but a leader in whatever he undertakes. He has been contented to spend his life in his native county, rightly concluding that for the tiller of the soil and the livestock grower no better place could be found. Mr. Jones was born in Greene county, Missouri, March 21, 1860. He is a son of Isaac and Martha (McClure) Jones, both natives of Monroe county, Tennessee, where they spent their childhood and received a common school training, which, according to the times, was meager. Isaac Jones was twenty-three years old when he came to Greene county, Missouri, and by home study he had added to his education sufficiently to teach school, which he followed for some time in this county or until the commencement of the Civil war. The latter part of his life was devoted to general farming here. During the Civil war he was deputy sheriff under Elisha White. His death occurred in 1883. His widow survived nineteen years, dying in 1902. They were the parents of eight children, four sons and four daughters, named as follows: Sarah E., Jas. L., Henry B., the subject; Effie K., Alice, Dora, J. Lyman, and Geo; B. W. Henry B. Jones grew to manhood on the home place and there worked during the crop seasons when a boy, and attended the district schools during the winter. When a young man he began farming for himself, which he has continued to the present time, and is now owner of a well-improved and productive place of two hundred acres near Elwood. He has always been a very careful general farmer, rotating his crops at the right time, and he has made livestock raising and feeding a specialty, always keeping good grades and sparing no pains in their care. He has a good set of buildings and modern farming implements. Mr. Jones was married on August 12, 1885, to Florence Pickering, a daughter of Samuel and Margaret (Gray) Pickering. She was born on her father's farm in Greene county, Tennessee, and here grew to womanhood and received her education, in the country schools. Mrs. Jones had two brothers, both deceased, namely: Charles B. and James B; also one sister, Mrs. Mary E.Graham. Two children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Jones, namely: Fred, born July 17, 1886, owns a ranch in New Mexico and intends devoting his life to farming; Bert I., born November 18, 1888, owns a farm in Republic township, Greene county, where he carries on general farming; he married Ora E. Coggin, a native of this county, and they have one child, Ruth Mildred. Politically, Mr. Jones is a Republican, and he and his family attend the Methodist Episcopal church. JOHN JONES. As every one knows, methods of farming are changing and we are learning many things that the husbandman of half century ago did not know or at least did not attach much importance to. Among other things the farmer of today has learned that the soil is a mixture of ground rock fragments and mineral mixed with more or less organic material. Some one has rightly said, "The soil is Nature's dumping-ground." All animal and plant refuse not burned or carried away by streams, eventually reaches the soil. Were it not for the fact that this vast amount of material is constantly decaying and becoming soluble we would eventually become polluted in Nature's waste products. One of the farmers of Wilson township, Greene county, who has not been slow in adopting advanced methods of tilling the soil is John Jones, owner of "Shady Grove Farm." Mr. Jones was born in Taney county, Missouri, September 4, 1847. He is a son of Jabis and Elizabeth Jones, natives of Missouri. The father owned eighty acres and rented the same amount of land in Greene county. He at one time lived near Lebanon, Laclede county. His death occurred when the subject of this sketch, was seven years of age, and a year later the mother passed away. John Jones received a very limited education. After his father's death the mother sold the home farm, and after her death our subject lived with his uncle, James Cook, and later with an aunt. When eighteen years of age he was married to Mary Graham, a daughter of James Graham and wife, both of Christian county, this state, where they lived on a farm. After four years of married life, the wife of our subject died. To this union two children were born, one dying at the age of three years and the other in infancy. Three years after the death of his first wife, Mrs. Jones married again, choosing as a helpmate Mary Childress, a daughter of William and Ellen Childress, formerly of Illinois, from which state they came to Greene county, Missouri, after the Civil war and settled in Wilson township on one hundred and sixty acres. Mr. Childress was born in Kentucky. Our subject's second union has resulted in the birth of seven children, named as follows: Johnnie, Ira, Robert, Madeen, Bessie (deceased), Mrs. Myrtle Barber, and Vida, the last named being at home with her parents. Mr. Jones owns sixty acres of good land in Wilson township, which he operates together with twenty-two acres which he rents from his brother-in-law, Mr. Childress. He is making a comfortable living as a general farmer and stock raiser, and, considering his early environment and the fact that he grew up without the protection, advice and guidance of parents and has had to "hoe his own row" from the first, he is deserving of a great deal of credit for what he has accomplished. On his farm is one of the most splendid wells in the township, which is a favorite among his neighbors. In connection with raising general crops, Mr. Jones is doing a very good business raising horses and mules, also handles other live stock. Politically, he has voted the Democratic ticket since attaining his majority. His jovial nature makes him many friends wherever he goes. JOHN H. JONES. We are glad to note in this series of biographical articles that so many of the progressive citizens of Greene county have been born and reared here, for this is an indication of at least two things--that they are men of keen discernment, being able to see and appreciate present conditions as they are, and that the county is indeed one of the favored sections of the great commonwealth of Missouri, else these people would have sought opportunities elsewhere. As it is they did not need to heed the call of the wanderlust that is heard at some stage or other in the lives of all young men. One of this number who has been contented to spend his life in his native locality is John H. Jones, the energetic druggist at Fair Grove, Jackson township. Mr. Jones was born in this county on November 4, 1877. He is a son of James T. and Rachael A. (Norton) Jones. The father was born in Dallas county, Missouri, November 14, 1846, and there he grew to manhood on a farm and attended the rural schools. Remaining in that county until 1870, he removed to Greene county and entered government land which he improved into a good farm and on which he established a comfortable home and here our subject was born. The place first consisted of eighty acres. As the elder Jones prospered through good management, he added to his original holdings until he now has a farm of two hundred and fifty-five acres, which is well improved and productive. He has, however, retired from active life and keeps his land rented, and is residing in Fair Grove, where he moved ten years ago, buying a good home there. He devoted all his active life to general farming and raising live stock and has been very successful in his life work. He was married in 1868 to Rachel A. Norton, who was born in Tennessee, May 14, 1846, and when young in years her parents brought her to Missouri, the family locating in Webster county and there she grew to womanhood on a farm and she attended the country schools. She is a member of the Baptist church. To these parents four children have been, born, namely: William G. lives in Greene county; Messer F. is deceased; John H. of this sketch; and Mrs. Vada Bass, of this county. John H. Jones was reared on the home farm in his native community and there he assisted with the general work during the summer months, and attended the district schools in the winter. He continued to work on the farm until the fall of 1901. The following year he entered the St. Louis College of Pharmacy, where he made a good record and from which he was graduated with the class of 1906. Soon thereafter he went into the drug business at Fair Grove, which he has continued with ever increasing success to the present time, having built up an extensive trade. He has a neat store which is stocked with a full line of drugs and drug sundries. He has been very successful in a business way and owns several lots and buildings in Greene county and a forty-acre farm in Dallas county, also a town lot in Oklahoma. Mr. Jones has remained unmarried. Politically, he is a Democrat. Fraternally, he belongs to the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Woodmnen of the World. JOSHUA L. JONES. Farmers come nearer being their own business masters than any other class of workers. It takes considerable capital these days to go into farming properly, but a farmer nowadays does not need so much land as he has been taught to believe he should have. Where one hundred and sixty acres has been considered a necessity for a good farm, forty acres will soon he regarded as plenty; and for some kinds of crops ten acres is all a man can properly care for. Intensive cultivation with modern methods makes a successful farm out of few acres of land. Ownership and proper development of even a few acres will amply provide for the unproductive period in the lives of farmers. One of the capable farmers of Republic township, Greene county, is Joshua L. Jones, who was born in this township and county, on the old Jones homestead, March 23, 1872. He is a son of Isaac N. and Martna (McClure) Jones, both natives of Monroe county, Tennessee, where they spent their earlier years. Isaac N. Jones was twenty-three years of age when he left his native state and immigrated to Greene county, Missouri. He received a fairly good education for a country boy in those days, and he taught school after coming to the Ozarks, continuing as a teacher until the commencement of the Civil war, during which period of strife between his fellow citizens, he acted as deputy sheriff under Elisha White. He was also county surveyor at one time. He devoted the latter part of his life to general farming in Republic township, where his death occurred in 1883. His widow survived until 1902, outliving him nineteen years. They were the parents of ten children, an equal number of sons and daughters, four of whom are living at this writing, one son and five daughters being deceased. Joshua L. Jones grew to manhood on the home farm and there he worked hard when a boy. He received his education in the district schools of his neighborhood, and he also studied at Marionville Collegiate Institute, Marionville, Missouri. His brother, Ben G. W. Jones, who is in partnership with him farming, and who is three years younger, was educated in the local public schools and later was graduated from the Marionville Collegiate Institute. Joshua L. Jones began life for himself as a farmer when a young man and this has continued to claim his constant attention. He and his brother, Ben G. W. Jones, own a good farm of forty acres in Republic, township and here they are obtaining very gratifying results as general farmers and stock raisers, being very close students of modern methods of agriculture and not afraid to experiment and adopt advanced ideas in husbandry. Both he and his brother have remained unmarried. Politically our subject is a Democrat and active in local party affairs. WILLIAM J. JONES. We have stronger evidence with each succeeding day that the bitterness and animosity resulting from the great Civil war and preceding influences is passing away and that the solidarity of the nation is becoming more and more a fact. To this many things have contributed, among which may be mentioned the natural kindly spirit of the South, which has invited the people of the crowded North to share its vast unoccupied land spaces and invest in its promising possibilities, while enjoying its delightful climate. And in the long lapse of half a century the war trenches have been filled, the temporary forts demolished, and the plow passes peacefully over their ruins. Many of the actors n the bloody drama are dead and their graves with those of their comrades who fell in battle are green and fragrant with grass and flowers, while the wounds, physical and moral, of the survivors have long since healed and only scars remain. One of the Confederate veterans, of Greene county is William J. Jones, better known as "Hickory" Jones, a merchant of Walnut Grove, formerly engaged in general farming near that place. He is one of the soldiers of the sixties who is willing to "forget." Mr. Jones was born in this county on May 22, 1846, and is therefore one of the oldest native sons of this community, having passed his sixty-ninth birthday, and during that long period of residence here he has noted and taken part in many great changes, seeing the country develop in a general way. He is a son of Richard M. and Mary Ann (Hartin) Jones, the father a native of Virginia, and the mother was a native of Tennessee. The father died in this county in 1898. The mother died here in 1896. Our subject's father was a cabinet maker by trade. He was in the land office here for eight years, in the fifties. In his latter life he did some farming but lived retired until his death. Our subject was one of eleven children, only two living at this writing: Mrs. Mary J. McDowell, who lives in Springfield, and our subject. William J. Jones grew to manhood in his native county and he received a good education in the common schools, attending school eight years in Springfield. His early life was spent on the farm. He was quite young when the Civil war began and did not enlist until in the fall of 1863, when he entered the Confederate service from Arkansas, in Company F, Third Missouri Cavalry, under Col. Colton Green, who was subsequently promoted to brigadier general, being succeeded in his former command by Col. Lenten Campbell, who was promoted to that rank. Our subject saw considerable hard service and participated in a number of important engagements, proving a very courageous soldier despite his youth. He was paroled at Little Rock in the spring of 1865 at the close of the war. After coming home from the army he resumed farming, which he followed for four years, then located in Springfield, where he worked in a hardware store for D. J. B. Skinner and W. H. Mansfield for some time, then, returned to the farm for several years. In 1882 he moved to Walnut Grove and farmed in this township with his usual success until 1896, when he went into the grocery business in Walnut Grove, which he continued for seven years, then sold out and lived retired for two years, then went into the furniture business in 1907 here and is still thus engaged. He keeps a good stock of general furniture and has a very satisfactory business. Mr. Jones was married in 1872, to Josie B. Carter, of Greene county. She is a daughter of Tillman Carter and wife, who were well-known early settlers here. He was in the tobacco business for several years. Four children have been born to our subject and wife, namely: George E., deceased; William H., Richard T. and Hattie B., all live in Walnut Grove. Here they grew to maturity and received good educational advantages. Politically, Mr. Jones votes independently. He is a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He is a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian church, and his wife belongs to the Methodist church. The Jones family is well known and held in highest regard in Walnut Grove and vicinity.
Missouri Records Kansas Records Cemetery Transcriptions
Census Transcriptions Marriage Records Obituary Index
Family Research Research Requests Email Webmaster

free web counter
Alienware Computer Coupons