Greene County Biographies
Greene County Biographies
From the Pictorial and genealogical record of Greene County, Missouri : together with biographies of prominent men of other portions of the state, both living and dead. Chicago: Goodspeed Bros., 1893 Thomas Hart Benton Hon. Thomas Hart Benton is a product of Hollsborough, Orange County, N.C., where he was born March 14, 1782. Being left fatherless at the age of eight years his mother sent him to a grammar school for a short time, after which he entered the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, which institution he quitted without receiving a degree, after which he commenced the study of law in William and Mary’s College, Virginia. Upon her removal to Tennessee the mother settled on some land belonging to her husband’s estate, but young Thomas had no taste for agriculture, and as he was fond of books he devoted himself to reading in order to better prepare himself for the profession of law which he had decided upon following. In 1811 he began practicing at Nashville, and there soon rose to eminence. He was shortly elected to the Legislature, in which he served one term, but during this time he secured the passage of a law reforming the judicial system, and one giving slaves the benefit of a trial by jury. At that time Andrew Jackson was a judge of the Supreme Court of Tennessee, and he became Benton’s personal friend and patron, and during the War of 1812 he served under this noted man as commander of a regiment of volunteers, from which he received the title of Colonel. The intimacy of these men continued for some time, then was cut short by a sudden and violent quarrel, and during Jackson’s attempt to strike Benton with a horsewhip he was severely wounded by a pistol shot fired by the latter. Although they were bitter enemies for a long time, a partial reconciliation was afterward effected, but they never again became intimate. In 1813 Mr. Benton was appointed by President Madison Lieutenant-Colonel in the Thirty-ninth Infantry; but while en route to join his command in Canada, peace was declared, and he resigned in 1815. He then went to St. Louis and was soon in the enjoyment of a lucrative legal practice. Being a man of decided opinions and aggressive temperament he entered the field of politics and established the Missouri Inquirer, and as he was fierce and outspoken in his denunciations, he was the principal in many disputes, altercations and personal encounters. At that day the “code” was in vogue and in a duel with Mr. Lucas he killed his opponent, an act he sincerely regretted to the day of his death. Mr. Benton strongly urged the admission of Missouri with a slave constitution, through the columns of his paper, and in 1820 was elected one of the senators from the new State. He at once took high rank in the national councils, for he possessed a rigorous intellect, large and liberal culture and was studious, temperate and resolute. He was soon an acknowledged leader in a body which contained some of the most eminent men of the nation. He originated a bill granting the right of pre-emption to actual settlers and a gradual reduction in the price of public land in proportion to the time it had been in market, besides a donation of homesteads to certain persons. His speeches in this behalf attracted the attention of the whole country, but nevertheless failed in their effect on Congress. His steadfast support of the administration gave him great influence with the Democracy, and he succeeded in inducing the President to embody the substance of a bill in one of his messages, which secured its final adoption. To him is also due the credit of the opening of the saline and mineral lands of Missouri, and he was instrumental in securing the repeal of the salt tax in 1829-30. He favored a railroad to the Pacific, the opening of trade with the policy of cultivating friendly relations with the Indians, and secured an appropriation for marking out and maintaining post-roads, the value of which is acknowledged everywhere. At the expiration of the charter of the United States Bank he advocated a gold and silver currency as the only remedy for the financial difficulties, and made many speeches on the subject and won himself a reputation throughout the Old World as well as his own country. His attitude on this question won him the sobriquet of “Old Bullion.” He supported President Van Buren’s financial policy and was also deeply interested in the annexation of Texas, the boundary of Oregon and various other important matters. He urged a vigorous prosecution of the Mexican War, and so great was the confidence reposed in Mr. Benton by President Polk that he proposed to confer upon him the rank of Lieutenant-General with full power to carry out his conceptions, but the bill was never passed. He opposed the compromise measures offered by Henry Clay in 1850 in regard to the slavery question after the acquisition of Mexican territory, and he warmly espoused the cause of President Jackson in his opposition to Calhoun in regard to nullification, the result of which was a bitter personal enmity which lasted throughout their lives. He denounced Mr. Calhoun’s resolutions in regard to the admission of states, the territorial powers of Congress and in use of common property, all bearing upon the slavery question, as “firebrand resolutions.” Although they never came before the Senate they were adopted by some of the slave holding states and were passed by both branches of the Missouri Legislature. These measures he denounced as not expressing the views of the people, as countenancing the doctrines of secession and nullification, and refused to obey them. He made a direct appeal to the people by a thorough canvass of the State, and his speeches added new lustre to his already brilliant fame as an orator. However, he here met his first defeat at the hands of the pro-slavery Democracy. The close of his term ended thirty years of service in the national councils, and he withdrew from the Senate, of which he had so long been an active and prominent member. In 1852 he was elected to Congress over all opposition and exerted himself to destroy the influence acquired by the nullification party and supported the administration of President Pierce, but thinking it had fallen under the influence of Calhoun’s followers, he withdrew it; in return for which the administration displaced all his appointments in Missouri. He opposed the repeal of the Missouri Compromise, and denounced the Kansas-Nebraska bill in a remarkable speech in the House, which aroused the country against the measure but failed to defeat its passage. At the election in 1854 he was defeated and retired to devote himself to literature, but his friends prevailed upon him to accept the nomination for Governor in 1856, but Trusten Polk was elected. During the Presidential contest of the same year Col. Benton supported Mr. Buchanan in Buchanan’s ability to restore the Jacksonian Democracy while he feared Col. Fremont’s election would endanger the Union, but this opinion he subsequently changed from. He resumed his literary labors after his defeat for Governor, and completed his “Thirty Years’ View,” a comprehensive narrative of his own official experience. At the age of sixty-seven he began the laborious task of condensing the debates of Congress from their commencement until 1850, and concluded the work upon his deathbed, dictating in whispers when unable to speak aloud. He was a man of strong intellect, great will power, ambition, and exerted all his energies to accomplish the success which he eventually achieved. He had a faculty of judging men and their motives and he was thus enabled to exercise a controlling influence in the councils of both nation and state, and for years his power in Missouri was almost unlimited. During the latter years of his life he was actuated by a sincere desire for the welfare of his country without regard to partisanship, and his unfaltering devotion to the Union will ever be remembered gratefully by all who love progress and liberty. In the home circle he was pleasant, companionable and genial, but in official intercourse was reserved and austere. It was said of him in 1846 that “his action and gestures are expressive and he has that gentle self-possession of manner which is so usual in those who are conscious of superior strength.” After becoming Senator he was married to Elizabeth McDowell, a daughter of Col. James McDowell, of Rockbridge County, Va., by whom he had four children: Mrs. William Carey Jones, Mrs. Jessie Ann Fremont, Mrs. Sarah Jacob, and Madam Susan Boileau. His wife died in 1854 from a stroke of paralysis received in 1844, and from the time of that calamity her husband was never known to go to any place of festivity or amusement. He died in Washington, April 10, 1858, and the entire nation mourned him. His remains were taken to St. Louis, and buried by the side of his wife in Bellefontaine cemetery, and in that city a colossal statue, by Harriet Hosmer, has been erected to his memory in Lafayette Park. J. W. McClurg Hon. J.W. McClurg, ex-governor of the State of Missouri. A man’s life work measures his genius, and the man who devotes his powers to the accomplishment of an upright purpose is to be honored. If a careful study is made of the motives which actuate every man’s life there is always to be found some object for which he lives. In Hon. J.W. McClurg it seems to have been an ambition to make the best use of his native and acquired powers and to develop in himself a true manhood. A native of St. Louis County, Mo., he was born February 22, 1818, a son of Joseph and Mary (Brotherton) McClurg and grandson of Joseph McClurg, who came to America during the Irish Rebellion of 1798. He succeeded in making his escape to this country by concealing himself in the hold of a vessel, and his family soon after followed him to America. He was a man of much energy, and a worker in iron, and soon made his way to Pittsburgh, Penn., where he erected the first iron foundry ever put up in the city, and in or near Pittsburgh he passed the remainder of his days. Although he owned a farm, the most of his attention was given to his foundry, and after he had retired the business was continued by his sons. Joseph McClurg, the father of Ex-Gov. McClurg, was born in Northern Ireland and came with his mother to America when about twelve years of age. He and his brothers, Alexander and William, followed in their father’s footsteps and became foundrymen, and while following that business in Ohio his career was closed. His widow died in St. Louis, having borne him two children: James B. (deceased) and J.W., the subject of this sketch. The last named was reared in Pennsylvania, whither he had been taken at the age of seven years, but the principal part of his education was received in Ohio, where he remained until about nineteen years of age. Anticipating the advice of Horace Greeley, for young men to “Go West and grow up with the country,” he came to Missouri and made his home with his uncles, James and Marshall Brotherton, both of whom filled the office of sheriff of St. Louis County, and J.W. McClurg served as deputy under both of them for about two years. In the spring of 1839 he went to Texas, where he remained for some two years, and was shortly after admitted to the bar of Columbus, Tex. In 1841 he was married, in Washington County, Mo., to Miss Mary C. Johnson, a native of Virginia, and this union resulted in the birth of eight children, six of whom are living: Mary E., wife of Col. M.W. Johnson, of Lebanon; Fannie, wife of C.C. Draper, also of Lebanon; Joseph E., who is engaged in farming in Dakota; Sarah, wife of Thomas Monroe, of Lebanon; Dr. James A., a dentist at Lebanon, and Dr. Marshall J., also a dentist, at Carthage, Mo. After his marriage Mr. McClurg turned his attention to merchandising, which he carried on at Hazlewood and Linn Creek, Mo., until the opening of the great Civil War. In 1861 he enlisted in the Home Guards, was chosen colonel of his regiment, and in 1862 he became colonel of the Eighth Cavalry, Missouri State Militia. He was in this service until after his election to Congress, which was in 1862, from the Fifth District. He then resigned his position in the army to take his seat, and was re-elected in 1864 and 1866. Before the expiration of his last term of office he was elected in 1868, by the Republican party as governor of the State of Missouri and served one term of two years. He then turned his attention to merchandising once more, also lead-mining and steamboating, which he carried on until 1885, at which time he came to Laclede County, and has since been retired from business. He is now in his seventy-fifth year, but is still quite well preserved and bids fair to be spared for many more years of usefulness. It has not been alone in politics that he has borne a conspicuous and honorable part, for to all public enterprises calculated to advance the interests of his city he has given the benefit of his voice and means. He is to-day as enterprising and energetic and as alive to the issues of the time as in his earlier manhood, and is a man whose good judgement has never been called into question. He has been very prominent in the affairs of Missouri, and has ever been a strong adherent of the Republican party. He and his wife, who departed this life in December, 1861, at Jefferson City, were members of the Presbyterian Church, but he is now connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church. He has for some time been a resident of the city of Springfield, Mo., and is held in high esteem by its citizens. Hon. Richard P. Bland From poverty and obscurity all the eminent men of the West have fought their way in the battle of life and by their own persistence and perseverance have attained to prominence and honor. They have given permanency to every enterprise that they have honored with their patronage and have stamped upon them their own individuality. The subject of this sketch is a man well known to the people of Missouri, and needs no eulogy from the pen of the biographer, for his deeds are his monuments and will endure long after he has mouldered into dust. He was born near Hartford, Ohio county, Ky., August 19, 1835, his parents being Stouton E. and Margaret (Nall) Bland, both of whom were born on Blue Grass soil. The family originally came from Virginia, but emigrated to Kentucky in the time of Daniel Boone, and were among the early settlers of that country. The father devoted his life to the occupation of farming, and at the age of thirty-five, when just in the prime of life, was called upon to pay the last debt of nature, his widow surviving him several years. Of the four children born to them three are now living: Richard P., Charles C., who is judge of the Eighteenth Judicial Circuit of Missouri, and Elizabeth, wife of Frederick Tutley, of St. Francois County, Mo. Young Richard P. received his initiatory training in the public schools in the vicinity of his rural home, and afterward finished his education in Griffin’s Academy. In 1855 he left the home of his childhood and took up his residence in Wayne County, Mo., after which he taught school at Patterson for one term, and in the fall of the same year went to California, where he studied law. In 1859 he located in Virginia City, Nev., and was admitted to the bar by the United States Court at Carson City. He at once opened an office in Virginia City, where he remained until November, 1865, when he returned to Missouri and located at Rolla, at which place he and his brother, C.C. Bland, practiced law in partnership until 1869. He then came to Lebanon, Laclede County, where he practiced his profession until 1872, at which time he was elected to Congress, and has been re- elected ever since, thus holding his membership for twenty years. The fact of his knowing but little of a father’s guidance and support, probably more than anything else formed within him the spirit of self-reliance that has characterized him through life. During his long years of public life he has placed himself securely on the list of Missouri’s statesmen, and his brilliant record is but the natural sequence of his brilliant mind applied in the right direction. Few men have seen more of public life, and very few have been more useful. He has many friends and few enemies, fewer enemies than any man of his decided mental nature, strong will and public worth, but even these can say naught against his honor. In 1877 he purchased the fine farm where he now lives, consisting of 160 acres, and built thereon a commodious and handsome brich residence. While in Utah he was elected treasurer of Carson County, which position he held until 1863, and at various times he was also engaged in warfare against the Indians. Since his election to Congress he has given up his profession, although as a lawyer he was preeminently a success; well and deeply read, with a clear and logical mind, which has been disciplined and strengthened by laborious study. The many eulogies pronounced upon him by the bar of the State evince the high estimation in which he was held by his legal brethren. On the 19th of December, 1873, he was married to Miss Virginia E. Mitchell, of Rolla, Mo., by whom he has five children: Fannie, Theodric R., Ewing C., George V. and Margaret. Mr. Bland is a Knight Templar in the A.F. & A.M. He is a man of noble and generous impulses and throughout the temptations of a long public career he has been strictly just in all his actions, never stooping to intrigue himself nor permitting it in others if he could prevent it, and has always shown supreme indifference to the opinions of enemies, his sole ambition being to serve his country faithfully in his line of duty, in which desire he has been preeminently successful. John O’Day This citizen is one of the prominent men of Southwest Missouri, who has not only been prominently identified with the legal profession for many years, but has been one of the chief promoters of the great railway systems which are now doing so much toward the development of this country. Beginning the practice of law in Springfield when a very young man, shortly after the close of the great Civil War and when Springfield was but a village and much of the surrounding country a wilderness; at a time when the people were struggling to adjust themselves to new conditions and the bitterness of partisanship was evident in many lawsuits and the real cause of much litigation, Mr. O’Day gained an experience and a knowledge of the people of Missouri which could hardly have been gained under other conditions. His practice extended throughout the entire southwest portion of the State, and he frequently made long journeys on horseback to attend court in the log house of some pioneer farmer. Thus he has seen almost the entire progress and growth of Springfield and southwest Missouri, and has taken part as a citizen and a lawyer in all public events worthy of record. Mr. O’Day was born in Ireland November 18, 1844, and was brought to America by his parents when an infant. His father, John O’Day, Sr., settled in Livingston County, N.Y., but in 1868 removed with his family to Springfield where he remained until his death, which occurred at the patriarchal age of eighty-four years. The early advantages for acquiring an education of the subject of the sketch were first those of the common district school and afterward that of the Academy of Lima, N.Y. At an early age the keenness of his intellect was shown and he made rapid progress in his studies. Upon leaving school he began the study of law with Judge Winsor, of Rochester, N.Y., with whom he completed his legal studies and with whom he came West as far as Juno, Wis., where Mr. O’Day remained three years, coming to Springfield in February, 1866. He immediately hung out his shingle to notify the public that he was ready to defend the cause of the injured, and unlike the majority of attorneys, had not long to wait for clients. He was admitted to the bar in Wisconsin, and the Springfield bar, was represented by Gov. Phelps, Col. Henry C. Young, Judge John Bryce, Judge John S. Waddle and C.B. McAfee, Esq., the sole surviving lawyer then practicing at the bar in this city, except Mr. O’Day. The latter was then but twenty-two years of age, but he possessed unmistakable ability, and it was not long before he was esta- blished in a large and continually growing practice. At that time Springfield contained about 1,500 inhabitants. There was no court-house in either Ozark or Taney Counties, and Mr. O’Day’s practice extended over twenty-one counties, over which wide range of country there were no lawyers and the attorneys of Springfield attended to all the legal cases. Naturally there was a great deal of litigation growing out of the unsettled condition of the country during and immediately after the close of the Civil War, and there were numerous prosecutions for treason, murder and arson. In the sparsely settled, rough frontier country, Mr. O’Day steadily made his way, and overcoming all difficulties by his manly, straightforward course, gained the confidence of the people and became a successful lawyer with all he could properly attend to in the way of legal work. He soon interested himself in the affairs of the St. Louis & San Francisco Railroad, of which he was appointed attorney in 1869 in connection with Judge Baker. He was vice-president of this road from 1886 to 1890, and is now one of its large stockholders. He was one of the promoters of the Springfield Northern Railroad, the Springfield Southern Railroad, the St. Louis, Wichita & Western Railroad, Ft. Scott, Paris & Texas Railroad, and has been president of all these roads. From his long experience in building railroads and in their management, Mr. O’Day is one of the best informed railroad men in Missouri and is a thorough exponent of railroad law, on which he is considered an authority. His services to south- west Missouri in the advancement of means of transportation are of the greatest value, and are not exceeded in public utility. He has been in active practice at the Springfield bar for a longer time than any other attorney, with the exception of C.B. McAfee, and is one of its leading members. Socially he is a Knight Templar in the A.F. & A.M., and in his political views he is a stanch Democrat. He is a gentleman of large wealth, genial and courteous manners and stands deservedly high, not only for his ability at the bar, but for his sturdy independence and high character. T.J. Wright T.J. Wright, Chief of Police of Springfield, Mo. Never has the city of Springfield been under better control--more peaceable, orderly and quiet than it is at present, and this is without doubt owing to the fact that a man of intelligence, determination, energy and vigilance is at the head of the police force. This man is T.J. Wright, who has been connected with the force since 1888 and since 1892 has been at its head, owing to the fact that his far-seeing shrewdness and numerous other qualifications made him admirably fitted to fill the office in a most praiseworthy manner. He is a product of Caldwell county, Mo., where he was born September 6, 1856, a son of Windfield Wright, who for many years was a substantial farmer of that county and who has now been dead for five years. His widow still survives him and makes her home on the old farm, where their nine children were born, and reared to honorable manhood and womanhood, the eldest son having held office in his county. The youthful days of Chief T.J. Wright were spent in attending school in his native county in the vicinity of Breckinridge, and in assisting to wield the hoe on the home farm, where he learned not only methodical habits, but lessons of industry and perseverance which have since been of material use to him. He learned the plasterer’s trade in early manhood and followed this occupation successfully up to the time of his appointment to the police department, having at that time been a resident of Springfield four years. He was very successful in his trade and was at one time the largest contractor of the kind in the city. He has always manifested considerable interest in political affairs and has always supported the Democratic party. He is very active and wide-awake; in fact, the citizens of Springfield early came to recognize that he was the right man in the right place in his capacity of chief of police. He was appointed on the police force by Mayor Walker who saw in him an able man for police duty and he at once grew in popular favor with the citizens of the place. In 1892 they showed their appreciation of his ability and the good he had accomplished by electing him by a handsome majority to the office of chief. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. Lodge, No. 218, the K. of P. Lodge, No. 86, and has represented the Odd Fellow lodges of his district (consisting of nine) in the Grand Lodge of the State for the past four years. Chief Wright was married in Springfield to Miss Lou Wilkerson, and they have a comfortable home at 510 West Division Street. The police department of Springfield consists of ten men, four on the north side and six on the south, and the police headquarters are at No. 1 fire station on College Street. James M. Gear In looking through any city, there is one thing that the beholder cannot help noticing and that is the large quantities of brick that are used in its construction and it stands to reason that if such a beholder were asked his opinion on the subject as to what formed the most important factor in its growth he would reply at once, “brick.” This material plays a very important part in the building up of any city and therefore the brickyards and companies of any city must be considered as among its chiefest industries. In Springfield the firm of Gear, Lloyd & Co., brick manufacturers, stands at the head. Ephraim Gear, the grandfather of James M. Gear, was of Scotch-Irish descent and a resident of Wilmington, Del., for many years. He died in Philadelphia, where he and his wife are buried. They were the parents of four children; John, Washington, Joseph and Mary. John Morton Gear, the eldest child, was born in Wilmington, August 22, 1824, and was given a common school education in his youth. When young he learned the brick mason’s trade, and after his removal to St. Louis in 1848 at the age of twenty-one years, he engaged in contracting and there erected some of the older buildings, among which was Ashbrook’s Packing House. In 1852 he went to California by way of the Isthmus of Panama and was a gold miner in that region for about four years. At the end of that time he returned to St. Louis and shortly after to Waterloo, Ill., where he became a brick building contractor. In April, 1869, he came to Springfield and in the fall of the same year settled here with his family and at once began a contracting business which he followed for many years, becoming the most prominent brick contractor of Springfield. He built the Metropolitan Hotel, the Cotton Factory, Woolen Factory, Fairbank’s Hall, Drury College and nine of the buildings on the west side of the public square, also the annex to the court-house and many of the smaller business houses and residences. Socially he was both a Mason and an Odd Fellow, and became a Knight Templar in the first mentioned organization. Politically he was a stanch Democrat throughout life and held the position of Justice of the Peace for one year, but resigned the office on account of ill health. He and his wife were members of the Southern Methodist Church. They were married June 10, 1849, her maiden name being Munn, a daughter of James and Eliza (Bates) Munn, the former of whom was born in Ohio, of Scotch parents and became a resident of St. Louis. He followed the occupations of farming and hotel keeping and in the latter part of his life was a member of the police force of St. Louis, and also held the offices of Justice of the Peace for some time. He died in Henry County, Mo. To Mr. and Mrs. Gear five children were born: James M., Washington J., Sarah V., Addie M. and Joseph C. Mr. Gear was an honorable, intelligent and hard-working man and accumulated a comfortable property. He was respected by all and had few, if any, enemies. James M. Gear, his son, was born at Waterloo, Monroe County, Ill., April 11, 1857, and received a good common school education. He learned the trade of a brick mason and was engaged in contracting with his father until the latter retired from business, after which he engaged in the business in company with the present firm and they have had all the work they can properly attend to. They built the church of the Immaculate Conception in 1887, the South Street Christian Church, the Second Congregational Church, the Cumberland Presbyterian Church and the First and Second Ward school houses, the Lincoln and Douglas school houses, the brick work of the new High School building and the Gulf Railroad shops, the Old Coon Tobacco works, Silby’s warehouse, five stories high, the Godfrey and Russell block on Boonville Street, the Silby & Reinhardt building on Water Street, the Ellenburg block on the corner of Walnut and Campbell Streets, the Headly block on Boonville Street and many other business buildings. They are men thoroughly posted in their line of work and can at all times be trusted to put up a substantial and symmetrical building in a short space of time and at reasonable figures. Socially Mr. Gear is a member of the Knights of Honor, and politically is a Democrat. Although a young man he is the senior member of his firm and stands deservedly high for reliability and skillful workmanship. This firm is also engaged in the manufacture of brick and have the only steam brick plant in Springfield. This plant has a capacity of 3,000,000 brick per year and can turn out more when run at its full capacity. Mr. Gear is a young man of high character, excellent business ability and his integrity is unimpeachable. W.T. Chandler It matters little what vocation a man may select as his life occupation so long as it is an honorable one. If he is an honest, upright man, courteous in his intercourse with his fellow-men, and possessed of the average amount of energy and business sagacity, he is bound to make his business a financial success. Mr. Chandler possesses all the above-mentioned requirements, and is to-day a prosperous general merchant of Ash Grove. He was born in Fitchburg, Mass., September 19, 1849, a son of J.L. and Abbie (Kimball) Chandler, the paternal ancestors having come from England to this country during its early history, and in 1637 became residents of Connecticut and still later of Massachusetts, where they were known for many years. Members of this family were soldiers in the Revolution, and John Chandler, the great-grandfather of the subject of this sketch, was a captain in the Continental army. The Chandlers have been prominent in the affairs of their adopted country from the very first, and the majority of them were men of influence and affluence. The great-great-grandfather held the rank of cornet in one of the French and Indian wars, in the English service, and he served as captain, and later was major-general of Massachusetts State Militia and captain of the Ancient and Honorable Artillery Company of Boston. J.L. Chandler was born in Massachusetts in 1820, and in that State continued to reside until he reached manhood. In 1853 he emigrated to St. Louis, Mo., where he followed mercantile pursuits until the opening of the late lamentable civil war, when he enlisted in the Seventh Missouri Cavalry, was elected adjutant, and was later promoted to lieutenant-colonel, a position which he ably filled until 1865, at the termination of the war. Some of the most important of the battles in which he participated were Prairie Grove and Little Rock. He was wounded during his service, but not seriously. After the war he took up his residence in Memphis, Tenn., where he engaged in business as a wholesale grocer and cotton factor, later becoming a traveling salesman, the greater part of his business being transacted in Texas and a few other Southern States. He was an intelligent and wide-awake man of affairs, and his death, which occurred in February, 1880, was much regretted. His wife died in May of the same year. To them three children were born, of whom the immediate subject of this sketch was the eldest. Ella is the wife of W.J. Hawkins, of Greene County. Bessie married a Mr. Janes, and died in 1884 in Ash Grove. Mr. Chandler was a Republican in his political views. Socially, he belonged to the A.F.&A.M. and the I.O.O.F., and at one time was collector of revenue of Memphis, Tenn. The early life of W.T. Chandler was spent in Missouri, and his education was received in the excellent public schools of St. Louis and in the --------- University of that city. He started on his business career in 1873, in Ash Grove, and since that time he has carried on a successful general mercantile business, and has gained the esteem and respect of the community at large and of the citizens of Ash Grove in particular. He does an annual business of $20,000, the value of his stock amounting to about $15,000. In addition to himself, he finds constant employment for three or four clerks, who have a thorough knowledge of their business and are well posted, accommodating and agreeable. The establishment has a frontage of 25 feet and a depth of 94 feet. Mr. Chandler is a Republican in politics, and has always taken a deep and abiding interest in the political issues of the day, and especially those of his section, and has held a number of important offices in the town. He is a member of the A.O.U.W., but aside from this does not belong to any secret organization. He is the owner of considerable real estate, principally city property, and has a pleasant and comfortable residence in the eastern part of Ash Grove. Mr. Chandler was married in June, 1882, to Miss Roxie Comegys, daughter of William Comegys, the postmaster at Ash Grove. She was born in Indiana and has borne her husband four children: Triece K., Almira, Courtney and John L. The children are bright and intelligent, and the eldest is now attending school. M. Scharff & Bro. The subject of this sketch comes of a thrifty, industrious and fore- handed Hebrew family, well known in Bavaria where the father of the subject of this sketch, Simon Scharff, was a broker of prominence, but is now a retired citizen of the town in which his operations were conducted so successfully--Landan. He was married to Barbara Gall, and in time a family of six children gathered about their board: Bertha, Edward, Nathan, Max, Theodore, and Isadore, all of whom were born in the village of Essengen, three miles from Landan, to which latter place the family moved in 1861. The children were reared in that place, which consisted of 12,000 inhabitants, and there they were given excellent educational advantages and fitted in other ways for the practical duties of life. The father of these children is living at the age of 75 years, is in good circumstances and is highly regarded in the community in which he lives, for he is of a genial and kindly disposition, affable and cordial to all. He is proud of having reared a respectable, intelligent and well- to-do family of children, three of whom are residents of America: Max, Theodore and Isadore. The two first mentioned are successful business men of Springfield, but are also connected with interests in St. Louis, and are wide awake, pushing and intelligent men of affairs. Isadore is a professor of music, and is the principal and proprietor of a Conservatory of Music in the city of New York, and takes a high rank in his profession. Theodore Scharff, a member of the firm of M. Scharff & Bro., remained in his native land until 1881, then came to America, and in company with his brother, Max, who had come to this country in 1872, he engaged in the general mercantile business at St. Joseph, La., but three months later they were unfortunately burned out, after which, with characteristic energy, they took charge of four stores belonging to the large cotton firm of V. and A. Meyer & Co., of New Orleans. One of these stores was located on Cora plantation, one on Anandale plantation, one on Doreville plantation, and the fourth and last on Araby plantation. For ten years the brothers managed those stores successfully, and during this time accumulated sufficient means to enable them to engage in a wholesale liquor business at Springfield, Mo., in 1891, but they soon discovered that there was not enough business to be done in Springfield to maintain a wholesale house, they converted their business into a retail trade, principally, although they still do a small wholesale trade also. They are connected with the large wholesale liquor firm of L. & A. Scharff, of St. Louis, cousins of the subjects of this sketch. M. Scharff, of St. Louis, is manager of the Cheltenham Mercantile Co., of which the brothers became proprietors six months since. Like the majority of their countrymen the brothers have prospered in business, and carry a large and select stock of imported and domestic wines and liquors of all kinds, for family and general use. These gentlemen belong to that class of citizens who manifest a decided aptitude for business enterprise, and who rise in a few years from a position of poverty and obscurity to one of prominence, and possession of considerable wealth. They have made many friends during their residence in Springfield, and are considered wide-awake and honorable men, anxious to serve their patrons in an acceptable manner, and keep a creditable and quiet house, which is patronized by the elite of the city. Theodore Scharff is a member of the A.F.&A.M., the I.O.O.F., and politically is a Democrat. J. S. Atkinson Among the reputable men of Springfield who in their conduct of business matters and the duties belonging to the various relations of life have acquired a worthy name, we may well mention Mr. Atkinson, who has been a resident of this city for at least ten years. A man of superior intelligence and rare business ability and efficiency he has done not a little to advance the reputation the county enjoys as a commercial center. He is the present manager of the Springfield White Lime Works and this calling to which he devotes his attention suits him admirably for his efforts have been crowned with success. The limestone that Mr. Atkinson makes a specialty of has been tested by some of the leading chemists and found to yield as follows: -- Silica 0.33 per cent, Oxide of Iron 0.21 per cent, and Carbonate of Lime 99.46 per cent, and pronounced the purest limestone ever analyzed. The Springfield White Lime Company has been in existence since 1884 when it was established by James H. Smith of Springfield. In October of that year the concern was incorporated under the law of Missouri, with James H. Smith president, J.G. Schermerhorn vice- president and J.S. Atkinson secretary and treasurer. On the 4th of March 1885, Mr. Atkinson bought Mr. Schermerhorn’s interest after which Mr. Smith was elected president, M.M. Atkinson vice-president and J.S. Atkinson secretary and treasurer. Thus thr firm continued until February 8, 1892, when J. S. Atkinson was elected president and treasurer, James H. Smith vice-president and M. M. Atkinson secretary. On the 6th of March, 1893, J.S. Atkinson was made president and treasurer, J.E. Atkinson vice-president and M.M. Atkinson secretary. Thus the firm stands at the present time. This large industry was established with a capital stock of $18, 000 and is now doing an annual business of $50,000. About twenty hands are employed, four kilns are kept going, and it has a capacity of 1,000 bushels per day. His business has always been on a paying basis and he has one of the largest plants in this section of the country. The firm ships to Kansas City, St. Joseph, Denver and to a large number of points in Kansas and other States. The lime is of perfectly pure nature, being made of a shelly formation of limestone, and is of very superior strength. The quarries are located at the crossing of the Frisco and Gulf Railroads on East Phelps Avenue, Springfield, and there is a large supply of the limestone which extends from 150 to 200 feet deep and extends for one half mile on the top of the hill near the plant. M. Atkinson, the general manager, was originally from the Keystone State where he grew to manhood and received his education. He is a son of E.S. Atkinson, who still resides in Pennsylvania. When twenty- one years of age Mr. Atkinson turned his face toward the setting sun and located in Kansas where he followed merchandising. Later he resided in Ft. Smith, Ark., and after this for eighteen years was in Indian Territory where he followed merchandising. After coming to Springfield he was engaged in the real estate business for about a year and then embarked in his present industry. His business qualifications are of the highest order, and he is recognized as one of the best citizens of the city. In his political views he leans to the Republican party and gives that the weight of his influence and vote. In 1887 and ‘88 he was elected mayor of Springfield and was well liked as a public official. He has been a member of the city council two or three times, is of a social, genial disposition, and has a large share of those traits of character to go to make up the popular citizen. He was chairman of the County Republican Committee one year. In 1859 he became a member of the Masonic Fraternity, Mound City Lodge No. 33, and is also a member of the Knights of Honor. While a resident of Kansas he was married to Miss Maria Manington, a native of New York State and five children were born to this union, three of whom are living: John E., Ruth S. and Ethel M. The son is in a hardware store in Springfield and the daughters are attending Drury College. Mr. Atkinson has a pleasant home at 1251 Benton Avenue, near Drury College, and is surrounded with all the comforts of life. He and family attend the Presbyterian Church of which they are all members, and contribute liberally to its support. George E. Anderson The gentleman whose name heads this sketch is a young man full of enterprise and push and is recognized as among the leading business men of Springfield. He has been a resident of the place since August 31, 1890, but has been connected with the business interests of the city since 1883. He first engaged in the manu- facture of lumber in 1883 in a town known as Sargent, Texas County, Mo.; his plant turning out from 12,000 to 15,000 feet of lumber per day, but he removed his business from that place to Shannon County in 1885 and increased the capacity of his plant from 20,000 to 25,000 feet per day. The name of the firm that owned the plant was Anderson & Son, George E. Anderson’s father being at the head of the concern. He remained in that county from 1885 to 1888, then purchased 21,000 acres of pine land and moved his plant to McDonald County and closed out their wholesale business in January, 1892. In 1891 they leased a planing-mill near Springfield and did a wholesale business for some time, amounting to about one half million dollars a year, which was one of the largest businesses of that kind done in the State of Missouri. All this time they conducted a mercantile busi- ness also, and carried a general line of goods valued at about $7,000. Since about August 19, 1892, George E. has carried on a retail lumber business, and in this, as in other occupations in which he has been engaged, he has been remarkably successful. The father, John S. Anderson, was born in White County, Ill., March 28, 1834, a son of John and Nancy (Trapp) Anderson, the grandfather being of Scotch descent but a native of Kentucky. John S. Anderson was a volunteer in the first Illinois Cavalry, in which he served for about four years, at the end of which time he enlisted in Fourteenth Illinois Infantry., Company I, of which he became first lieutenant. He was captured on Gen. Stoneman’s raid and was kept in captivity for some time. He was wounded once while in the service but on the whole was exceptionally fortunate in this respect while in the service, and also suffered little from sickness, being at all times ready for duty. In 1867 he and a brother went to southeast Kansas, where they esta- blished a saw-mill, but also farmed one year, after which he purchased a large flouring-mill. In 1877 he closed this out and in 1883 he and his son closed this business and began dealing in lumber, as above stated. He was married twice, his first wife being Mary J. Wrenwick, who was born in White County, Ill., a daughter of James and Nancy (Galt) Wrenwick, who were born in Tennessee and Kentucky, respectively. When the subject of this sketch was a mere lad his mother died, he being the eldest of the three children she bore her husband. The other two are Eliza, widow of A.B. Chapman, who died in 1881, and Anna, who is living in Kansas, married to J.M. Holt. After the death of his first wife Mr. Anderson married again in 1870, Rachel E. Wrenwick, her sister, and to them nine children have been born: Albert, Francis, Cora, Roy, Terry, Clifford, Claud, Bertha and one that died young. John S. Anderson was a member of the A.F. & A.M. and the Albert Anderson Post of the G.A.R., which was named in honor of his younger brother who died in that foul pen, Andersonville Prison. He was interested in the political affairs of his day, was a strong Republican and died on December 21, 1891. He was a man of sound judgment, of excellent business qualities, and his successful career in the business world was but a natural sequence of the mature judgment he at all times displayed. George E. Anderson was born in White County, Ill., August 10, 1856, but upon the death of his mother, which occurred when he was about four years old, he was taken by her parents with whom he made his home until February, 1868, when he went to Montana, Kan., where he attended school and learned the trade of an engineer, which he followed in that State for sixteen years. He left school at the age of nineteen years, but being bright and intelligent and keenly alive to his own interests, he made the most of his opportunities and obtained a thoroughly practical education. Later he became connected with his father in the saw-mill business and this has received a considerable portion of his attention up to the present time. His business succeeded the Home Lumber Company, and he has since been a prominent figure in the lumber interests of the Southwest, ranking among the representative men en- gaged in that line of trade. His yards are located on the corner of Boonville and Pine Streets, and although located in the very heart of the city, is dotted by towering oak and sturdy hickory trees, whose delightful shade renders manual labor by no means a hardship. His yard is one of the most complete and finely stocked in this section of the country and from it comes a large part of the lumber used in the city, while large shipments are made to other points. His office at No. 709 Boonville Street is handsomely and con- veniently furnished and is provided with a fine safe and other essential office fixtures. He gives employment to quite a number of men and has his own teams which are kept constantly busy. He is a member of the A.F. & A.M., in which he has attained high rank, and is a member of Ararat Temple of the Mystic Shrine of Kansas City. Politi- cally he has always been a Republican, and socially a public-spirited man. He was married August 20, 1890, to Miss Emma Morley, of Eureka Springs, Kan., and to their union a little daughter has been given. They own and occupy a pleasant and comfortable residence at No. 899 East Walnut street, Springfield, where it is their delight to welcome their numerous friends. Mr. Anderson is a man full of enterprise and push and is deservedly classed among the leading business men of the place. Col. Homer F. Fellows In these days of money-making, when life is a constant struggle between right and wrong, it is a pleasure to lay before an intelligent reader the unsullied record of an honorable man. To the youthful it will be a useful lesson--an incentive to honest industry. Col. Homer F. Fellows is acknowledged by all to be one of Springfield’s most public- spirited and honorable citizens. He has been largely identified with the public enterprises of that city, is a promoter of its improvements and the real founder of one of the largest mechanical industries in this part of the State. He springs from old Colonial stock, and is of English-Puritan extraction, two brothers of that name, John and Drane having emigrated from England in old Colonial times. John Fellows, grandfather of our subject, was born in the town of Canaan, Conn., where his ancestors had settled, and served in the Revolutionary War, fighting bravely for independence. His wife, whose maiden name was Edna Deibold, was a native of Canaan, and came of French extraction. After marriage this worthy couple moved to Luzerne County, Penn., and settling on a farm went actively to work to make many improvements in their new home. Indians were very plentiful at that time. About 1820 Mr. Fellows moved with his family to Tioga County, Penn., and there passed the remainder of his days, dying at the good old age of eighty-three years. He reared a family of six children: Horace, Asahel, Erastus, Merritt, Eliza and Hulda. As a man of intelligence and as one of the first citizens of his town he was well known and held in the highest esteem. His son, Erastus, father of our subject, was also a native of the old town of Canaan, Conn., and was but a boy when he went with his parents to Luzerne County. He obtained a fair education for his day, and when a young man went to Cincinnati, Ohio, where he remained one year. Returning to the Keystone State he married a widow, Mrs. Elizabeth Johnson, nee Cole. Her father, Royal Cole, was born in New York State, but was of English extraction. He served as a soldier in the Revolutionary War, took an active part in several battles, Trenton and others, and was present at the surrender of Burgoyne. He also served in the War of 1812. Mr. Cole was a well-informed man, a wide reader, and a Universalist in his religious belief. To his marriage was born a large family. His death occurred at Wellsborough. Following his marriage Erastus Fellows and wife settled at Wellsborough, Penn., where, in connection with farming, he followed hotel keeping. From 1825 until 1865, he was pro- prietor of the Fellow’s Temperance House, and was known far and wide as a man of sterling worth and high moral character. He was one of the early promoters of the cause of temperance, and accomplished much good by his deter- mined stand. He was also a strong Abolitionist, a lover of liberty, and his house was the refuge of slaves escaping to Canada. He was ever fearless in the advocacy of any cause he believed to be right, and did not hesitate to express his views when it was necessary. The famous James G. Burney, at one time candidate for the presidency on the Abolitionist ticket, when lecturing in Pennsylvania, came to Wellsborough, but could find no place in which to deliver his lecture, as the Abolition cause was very unpopular. Mr. Fellows gave him the use of his dining-room, and there his lecture was delivered. In his political views Mr. Fellows was at one time an Old Line Whig, later an Abolitionist, and finally a stanch Republican. During the latter part of his days he became a prosperous and wealthy man. His death occurred in 1884, when eighty- four years of age. His wife was a lady of education for her day, and an old teacher’s certificate bearing date as early as 1813, and issued to her by the directors of the district at Coeymans, Albany County, N.Y., attesting her ability to teach school, is yet in existence. Throughout her life she took an interest in literary matters, was a great reader, and was a poetess of no mean ability, writing many poems, some of which were published. She was a devout member of the Methodist Church, a woman of high moral worth, and a great strength of character. By her first husband she was the mother of two children, Newton and Almira, and her second union resulted in the birth of four children: Rachel A., Homer F., Norris W. and Mary E., all now living except the last named. Mr. And Mrs. Fellows passed all the days of their married life at Wellsborough, Penn. Col. Homer F. Fellows, son of the above and our subject, was born at Wellsborough, Penn., and his youthful days were divided between assisting his father on the farm and in attending the common schools. At the age of seventeen he began clerking in a dry-goods store in Wellsborough, and this business continued for about a year and a half. He then taught a district school, and later entered the Wesleyan University at Lima, N.Y., where he continued for one year. At the age of twenty-one, having acquired a good education for his day, he emigrated West with the intention of going to Texas. On reaching Rock Island, Ill., he was taken sick, and this interfered with his plans. However, he went on as far as Muscatine, Iowa, remaining there for some time, but later went to Burlington, that State, where he engaged as salesman for a mercantile firm, Gear & Baum. Sub- sequently he became a collector for Mr. Baum, and after- ward managed a store for him at Chariton, Iowa, for a year and a half. Following this he managed a general store for David Waynick for some time, and one for Joseph Mitchell, by whom he was sent East to purchase the stock. In the year 1856 he went to Plattsburgh, Mo., as a member of the firm of J.S. Sheller & Co., in the real estate business, and one year later he bought out the business and established offices at Warsaw and Springfield, Mo., under the firm name of Fellows, Todd & Robinson. This was in 1857, and the firm located many land warrants in the Platt Purchase an in southwest Missouri. Being a stanch Republican and possessing first-class qualities for the position, Mr. Fellows was appointed Register of Lands for the district of Springfield by President Lincoln in May, 1861. He continued in this office until the battle of Wilson Creek. In 1861 he visited Washington on military business in the interests of Gen. Seigel, and made the personal acquaintance of President Lincoln. Springfield then being occupied by the Confederates, the Union men remained away from the city, and Mr. Fellows engaged in general merchandising at Rolla, Mo., as a member of the firm McElhaney, Jaggard & Co. In 1863 he was appointed Lieutenant Colonel of the Forty-sixth Missouri Militia. The regiment was called out under Gen. McNeil, mus- tered into the United States service, and was on guard duty during the last invasion of Missouri by the Confed- erates under Gen. Price. In the winter of 1864 Mr. Fellows sold out his interests in Rolla and engaged in the whole- sale grocery business at St. Louis, the firm being McElhaney & Fellows. Continuing in this business until 1867 he then sold out and went to Arlington, where he established a general store under the firm name of Fellows, McGinty & Co. Arlington is on the S.F.R.R., and as the road was then being opened for business, Col. Fellows established stores at convenient points on the same, one being at Lebanon, and another at North Springfield. This business was largely wholesale. In 1871 Col. Fellows built a grain elevator, the first one erected in Springfield, and in 1872 he was induced to take charge of the Springfield Manu- facturing Company, which had been organized but a few months, and which was in bad condition financially. Finding the concern hopelessly involved the stockholders surrendered their stock and a new company was organized as the Springfield Wagon Company. The principal stock- holders were Col. Fellows, his brother, Morris W., and Capt. Boyden. New capital being invested, the company made the manufacturing of farm wagons a speciality, and from the start did a good business. In 1883 the plant was destroyed by fire but was rebuilt after one year, and the capital stock was increased from $25,000 to $50,000. One year later it was increased to $75,000. The plant was greatly enlarged and the business increased, so that the demand has since been equal to the capacity of the works. This year (1893), about 3,500 wagons will be manufactured. The reputation of the Springfield wagon for utility and service has steadily gained, so that it now commands the highest price in south- west Missouri, Arkansas and Texas. Its equal is not manu- factured by any firm in the United States, and it comes in competition with all other wagons manufactured in this country, and ranks as the best. The Springfield Wagon Company gives employment to seventy-five men, and as an industrial enterprise, employing labor, is a direct benefit to the city. As a public-spirited citizen, Col. Fellows has done much to further the interests of the city, and in 1881 he was the chief promoter of a street railway between North and South Springfield, and was president of the company for three years. In 1859 he was one of the stockholders of the first telegraph line through Springfield. This line followed the overland stage road, and was established by Clowrey & Stebbens. Col. Fellows built the first telephone line that came into Springfield, and it connected his office and resi- dence. This was in 1877. The colonel was a liberal contri- butor to the Gulf Railroad, and is a subscriber to the railroad now projected. He was one of the organizers of the Springfield Water Works, and president of the company for three years. Originally a Republican in politics, in 1860 he was the only man in Springfield who openly voted that ticket, excepting John M. Richardson, a presidential elector. He now enter- tains liberal views politically. In the year 1876 he was mayor of Springfield, and for many years was a member of the city council and school board. He has ever extended a helping hand to the cause of education, and has done much to establish good schools in Springfield. Liberal in his views and progressive in his ideas, Col. Fellows has always assisted with his means the churches of the city without regard to denomination. Formerly a member of both the Masonic and Odd Fellow orders, he is now a member of the Knights of Honor. He selected as his companion in life Miss Martha Alvira McElhaney, of Springfield, and their nuptials were celebrated November 15, 1859. Three living children have blessed this union: Emma, widow of Charles T. Keet, resides in Springfield; Clara, wife of F. J. Curran, also resides in Springfield; and Ada, widow of George Rathbun, makes her home in Springfield. Mrs. Fellows was called from the scenes of this life on October 5, 1869, and on August 15, 1872, the colonel was married to Miss Minnie L. Boyden, of Neosho. One son, Homer F., was born to this marriage, and he is now in the office of the "Frisco" Railroad in St. Louis. Mrs. Fellows died September 24, 1881, and the colonel has since married Mrs. Matilda (Dickard) Jackson, widow of Mr. J. C. Jackson. Hugh M. Simcox The intelligence and ability shown by Mr. Simcox, as a progressive tiller of the soil, and the interest he has taken in the advancement of measures for the good of Greene County, Mo., caused him long since to be classed as one of the leading citizens of his section. All that he has achieved or gained has come as the result of his own efforts, and he deserves much credit for the determined way in which he faced and overcame many diffi- culties. His ancestors came from Ireland, and his great grandfather settled in Washington County, Maryland, where they resided for several generations. There William Simcox, the father of the subject of this sketch, was born June 14, 1794, and from there he enlisted as a soldier in the War of 1812. In 1820 he was married to Jane Marshall of Venango County, Penn., who was born on the 14th of February, 1804. Her father, Hugh Marshall, was a Scotchman and in Hugh M. Simcox is imbued many of the sterling qualities of the Scotch and Irish. To William and Mrs. Simcox the following children were born: Ellen, born November 6, 1821; Nancy, born February 23, 1826; Martha, born March 11, 1823; Mary, born October 28, 1824; William, born March 14, 1830; James, born February 29, 1832; Jane, born June 26, 1834; Philetus, born February 18, 1836; John L., born October 12, 1838; Hugh M., born May 22, 1841; and Lester, born December 23, 1844. Mr. Simcox was a substantial and wealthy farmer, and lived in Venango County from the time of his marriage until his death. He was an old time landlord and kept an old fashioned tavern were accomodations were furnished to man and beast in the old fashioned style, and "mine host" and his inn became known for 100 miles around and were decidely popular with the traveling public of that time. The cattle drovers made it their stopping place on their way from Ohio with their great herds of cattle, and the early Western emigrant here rested on his journey. Mr. Simcox was a Democrat in politics, and was all his life an honored and respected citizen. He assisted his children a great deal and at his death owned 300 acres of good land. He had two sons in the Civil War; John, who served throughout the war, and Hugh M., the subject of this sketch. Mr. Simcox died September 5, 1850, his wife, Jane, dying June 12, 1860. Hugh M. Simcox first saw the light in Venango County, Pennsylvania, May 22, 1841, and there he received a common school education and l earned the calling of a farmer when young. At the age of twenty, on the 17th of July, 1861, he enlisted in Company K., Sixth Regiment of Cavalry of the United States Army, with which he served for three years, being honorably discharged at Cold Harbor, Va., July 17, 1864, with "excellent" written in the blank for character on his discharge. He was in the battles of Williamsburg, Va., May 4-5, 1862; Slaterville, Va., May 9, 1862; Mechanicsville, Va., May 23, 1862; Hanover Court House, Va., May 27, 1862; Black Creek, Va., June 29, 1862; Malvern Hill, Va., August 6, 1862; Fall's Church, Va., September 5, 1862; Sugar Loaf Mountain, September 13, 1862; Charleston, Va., October 7, 1862; Hillsboro, Va., October 27, 1862; Philomont, November 1, 1862; Uniontown, November 2, 1862; Upperville, November 3, 1862; Barbour's Cross Roads, November 5, 1862; Amosville, November 7, 1862; Sulphur Springs, Nov. 15, 1862; Fredericks, December 13, 1862; Stoneman's Raid, April, 1863; Beverly Ford, June 9, Middlebury, June 18, Upperville, June 21, Fairfield, Pa., July 3, Williamsport, Md., July 6, Funkstown, Md., July 7, Boonsboro, Md., July 8, Antietam, Md., July 9, and Brandy Station, Va., Oct. 11, 1863. Here the record of this patriotic and faithful soldier ceases for he has no record of the other many engagements in which he participated. He was then under Gen. Grant and was in the famous Wilder- ness campaign. During his career as a votary of Mars Mr. Simcox served under Gens. Stoneman, Pleasanton and under Gen. Sheridan from the time he took command of the cavalry until his term of service expired. He was an Orderly on Gen. Sheridan's staff for one year and saw that famous cavalry- man almost every day. Although he was in numerous engagements he was never wounded, but on numerous occasions men were mowed down around him. He was always ready for active duty and did not receive a furlough or pass during the three years that he was in the service of his country and was never ill enough to go to the hospital. After his discharge he went to Kentucky, in 1864, as an oil prospector where he remained until 1866, the following year being spent as a farmer of rented land in Iowa. He then came to Springfield, Mo., and soon after settled on 240 acres of land in East Center Township, which adjoined his present farm on the north. During the fifteen years that he resided on this place he made many valuable improvements in the way of farm buildings, fences, etc., and then disposed of it to a good advantage and in 1890 purchased the farm of 160 acres on which he is now living. By industry and thrift he has prospered and he now has an abundance of this world's goods, in the accum- ulation of which his amiable and intelligent wife has lent no inconsiderable aid. He has always been a hard worker, the life of the farmer has always been congenial to his tastes, and he found it no hardship after the close of the war, to take up the peaceful pursuit of agriculture. He has always been a Democrat in politics, and his wife, whom he married October 15, 1868, is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Her maiden name was Sarah A. Dale and she was born in Clarion County, Pa., on her father's farm, October 23, 1848, and has borne her husband one daughter, Ada L., who is the wife of Dr. Greenberry Dorrell, a successful physician of Republic, Mo. Mrs. Simcox is a daughter of Solomon and Catherine (Zink) Dale, the former of whom is descended from Dutch ancestors who settled in Clarion County, Pa., where they became wealthy farmers. Solomon Dale and his wife were the parents of ten children: Margaret E., Isaiah K., Mary M., Sarah A., Edith, Harris K., Emma L., Katy L., Cora C., and Monroe W. Mr. ------ removed to Greene County, Mo., in 1867 and there he was called from life, his widow, who still survives him, being of Welsh descent. They were earnest members of the Methodist Church and Mr. Dale was highly honored by all who had the pleasure of his acquaintance. F. M. Donnell The gentleman whose name heads this sketch is a well known citizen of Greene County, Mo., whose intelligence, enterprise and energy, with many other estimable qualities have secured for him a popularity not derived from any factitious circumstances, but a permanent and spontaneous tribute to his merit. He is a native of the county in which he now resides, his birth occurring September 22, 1847, a son of John M. and Jane (McLain) Donnell, the former of whom was born in Tennessee in 1800, becoming a citizen of Greene County, Mo., in 1832. In his veins flowed sterling Scotch-Irish blood, and for some time after the family had taken shelter under the "stars and stripes" the name was known as O'Donnell. The paternal great-grandfather was one of the brave men who fought for home and liberty during the Revolution, and his son, the grandfather of the subject of this sketch, showed his love of his country and his patriotism by service in the War of 1812. John M. and Jane Donnell were among the first to locate in Greene County, Mo., coming thither from Tennessee by wagon, and settling on a farm in the northern part of the county. They purchased a tract of good farming land, but Mr. Donnell continued to add to his acreage until he became a large land holder. He gave much attention to trading in mules, shipping them South, and in this branch of business he was very successful. He was a member of the A.F. & A.M., and was Master of Solomon Lodge for some time in its early history. He was well known through- out the county, and was much respected by all, having many warm friends. His wife, who was also born in Tennessee, died in 1848 after having become the mother of ten children, seven of whom are still living: Monroe, who was a farmer of Texas, and a man of family; Mary A., who died in 1868, was the wife of David Kepply of this county, and left four children; George W. is a man of family, and is a farmer in the northern part of Greene County; William M. is married, and a farmer of Saline County, Mo.; Sarah C. is the wife of James Armstrong, of Polk County, Mo., and has four children; C.W. is a mechanic of Saline County, is married and has a family; he was a soldier in the Confederate Army during the civil war, and served four years with General Lee, taking part in many important battles; and F. M., the subject of this sketch. Upon the death of his first wife Mr. Donnell was married for the second time. The mother of F. M. Donnell was a noble woman and an earnest christian, and for many years of her useful and well spent life was connected with the Methodist Episcopal Church South. She was about fifty-five years old at the time of her death, and came of an excellent and well known family of Tennessee. F. M. Donnell was reared on the farm of his father some fourteen miles north of Springfield, and his early training was received on his father's farm, and his education in the district schools. He gave his father his time and services until the opening of the Civil War, and when only sixteen years of age he entered the service, enlisting in Company E, Sixteenth Missouri Cavalry, under Capt. S. W. Headley, with whom he remained for two years. Some of the engagements in which he took part were Jefferson City, Lexington, Big Blue, beside numerous sharp skirmishes. He was mustered out of the service in June, 1865, soon after which he emigrated to California, where he was actively engaged in agricultural pursuits up to 1888, when he returned to Greene County. During the time that he was in the West he lived in Enby and San Joaquin Counties, Cal., and was at one time the foreman of 1,500 acres, the most of which he devoted to the raising of wheat. He has been a very successful business man, and since his return to Greene County, Mo., he has been a resident of Springfield, where he was soon appointed to the position of deputy sheriff, and still later became a member of the city police force. He has held the office of constable, and in 1885 he was elected to the office of sheriff of Greene County, which position he filled with ability for two years. At the expiration of his term of service he moved to his farm two and one half miles east of Springfield, where he has been very successfully tilling the soil and raising stock for about six years. His estate comprises 120 acres, and it is without doubt one of the best improved places in the county. He has been living in the city of Springfield since early in 1893, where he is conducting a well appointed livery stable, and rents his farm. His stables are located on Oliver street, near Boonville Street, and is one of the best appointed and located, as well as stocked, in the city. He has about fourteen head of horses always ready for service, and is already doing a profitable business. Soon after the close of the war, Mr. Donnell was married to Miss Mary A. Hall, of Greene County, daughter of George Hall, and to them two children were given: Charles, who was killed at Willow Springs in 1893, on the Gulf Railroad, leaving a widow, and George S., who is living in California, now a widower. Mr. Donnell lost his first wife in 1872 in California, after which he married Miss Mattied J. Williams of Kentucky, a daughter of Perry Williams, and by her is the father of five children: F.M. Jr., Cordie, Carrie, Lee and Roy. Mr. Donnell has always been a Democrat in politics, and in all ways has ever been a man of decidedly public spirit. He has a neat and comfortable residence at 615 St. Louis Street, besides a number of other dwellign houses in the city, and considerable real estate of value. John C. McKoin This gentleman is one of the oldest settlers of Greene County, and it is but just to say that he occupies a conspicuous and honorable place among its worthy residents, for he has always been honorable, industrious and enter- prising, and as a result has met with more than ordinary success. He is a man well known in agricultural circles, and is recognized as a careful, energetic farmer, who is by his advanced ideas and progressive habits has done much to improve the farming interests of his section. His father, Thomas G. McKoin, was born in Virginia and came of an old Colonial family, members of which took an active part in the Revolutionary War. After reaching man's estate he settled in Barn County, Va., and later in Logan County, Ky., where he wedded Susan Barham, daughter of Thomas Barham, who was for seven years a soldier in the War of the Revolution. To the marriage of Mr. and Mrs. McKoin a family of thirteen children were given: Mary, James, Dorcas, Minerva, Elizabeth, Cassandra, Angeline, Martha, Eli, Catherine, Jane, John C. and Clayton. In 1838 Mr. McKoin took up his residence in Greene County, Mo., settling on Leeper Prairie, two miles from the town of Ash Grove, at which time there were very few settlers in that region, the Leepers being about the only resident family there. Mr. McKoin entered 160 acres of land but after a few years made another location at Grand Prairie, but later sold this claim of 160 acres and entered 300 acres of prairie land and 80 acres of timber. In 1850 he moved to the farm now occupied by his son, John C. McKoin, which them consisted of 160 acres. He proved himself a shrewd and practical farmer, lived well, possessed the regard of his neighbors and acquaintances, for he was upright and honorable in all his business transactions, and was at one time the owner of quite a number of slaves. He was a captain in the old State Militia, was a soldier in the War of 1812 and in his religious views was a Presbyterian. John C. McCoin, the subject of this sketch, is a product of Logan County, Ky., where he was born June 1, 1836, and consequently at the time of his parents' removal to Greene County, Mo., he was about two years of age, and thus is one of the oldest settlers of the county, although just in the prime of life and vigor of manhood. His early educational advantages were of a limited nature but he was afterward an attendant of the College of Charles Carlton, of Springfield, Mo., where he secured a sufficiently practical education to fit him for the ordinary duties of life. On June 10, 1861, he responded to his country's call by joining the Sixth Missouri Cavalry, which was disbanded three months later, after which Mr. McKoin served in the commissary department of General Fremont's army and later under General Wyman, in the same capacity, remaining in the commissary department until the close of the war, and participating in the battle of Springfield. He was married in Johnson County, Kan., on January 3, 1866, to Miss Christiana Scott, daughter of William and Isabella (McCora) Scott, the former of whom was a Scotchman and married in his native land, where one child was born. He settled in the State of New York in 1842 but later removed to Wisconsin and in 1860 to Johnson County, Kan., where he still lives at an advanced age and in the enjoyment of a comfortable competency, which he has won by successfully tilling the soil. He and his wife are members of the Presbyterian Church and in that faith reared their five children: Isabel, Christian, James, William and Cameron. William Scott, father of Mrs. McKoin, served a term as county judge, was twenty years coroner and served in the late war as veterinary surgeon in the Fifteenth Kansas Cavalry. After their marriage Mr. and Mrs. McKoin settled on their prairie farm, called the Cold Spring Dairy Farm, to which they have added, by good management and industry, until they now have a fine 200-acre tract, the most of which has been cleared from the timber, and upon which many other valuable improvements have been made. The land is now considered very valuable. He has been largely engaged in stock dealing for about eleven years and dealt largely in mules throughout the South. His present farm is well stocked with fine animals and he conducts a large dairy. He and Mrs. McKoin have two children: William T. and John B., the former of whom died when about eighteen years of age, a well educated, honest and promising young man. The younger son first attended the public schools of Springfield, attended Drury College three years and later finished his education in a commercial college of Springfield, from which he graduated. Mr. and Mrs. McKoin are members of the Congregational Church, and politically he is a stanch Republican and is an active member of the G.A.R. and socially a Mason. Col. C. C. Akin It is impossible to place too high an estimate on the importance of the real estate business in regard to the various other elements of commercial and financial activity. None other rests upon a more vital or honorable basis as regards the growth and welfare of a city. The Springfield real estate market has come to be recognized as the leading financial interest of this progressive city of the Southwest, and among the leading and well-known agents engaged in this is Col. C. C. Akin, who is well and favorably known for his upright and honorable methods of transacting business. He is an energetic land agent, is locating many families in this section of the State on prairie and timber farms, and is a rustler with a big "R". He has done much to advance the corporate growth and business interests of Springfield by inviting hither men of capital from various parts of the country and offering inducements to residents to own houses and lots, as well as to purchase lands for manufacturing, mercantile and other purposes. This most enterprising gentleman was born in Bullitt County, Kentucky, August 16, 1849, and was reared to manhood in Green County of the Blue Grass State. After attending the best schools in the locality, including Gilead Institute, he taught school two years in Kentucky, one in Illinois, and three in North Missouri, closing his career as a teacher as principal of the graded school of Amazonia, Missouri. Studying law in Missouri, he was admitted to the bar by the Hon. H. S. Kelley, judge of the twenty-ninth Missouri circuit, on October 29, 1879. Since that time he has practiced his profession and also engaged in the real estate business. For two years he resided in Brule County, South Dakota, and is fully prepared to sympathize with his unfortunate brethren in that country of drouths and blizzards. Mr. Akin's father, Rev. Moses Akin, was one of the best known ministers in Kentucky, celebrated as a pulpit orator and revivalist. Mrs. Akin's father, William Sallee, is one of the wealthiest farmers in Buchanan County (near St. Joseph), Mo. During the past five years Mr. Akin has conducted one of the most active land offices in southwest Missouri, at the handsome city of Stockton, in Cedar County, and none among the dealers of realty enjoy a larger measure of public confidence than he. He has met with a success simply commensurate with the abilities he has displayed and is eminently qualified by long experience and practical ability to render service of the most valuable character. James H. Duncan Among the noted and representative men of the flourishing city of Springfield, Mo., stands the name of J. H. Duncan, who is the present prosecuting sttorney of Greene County. Perhaps no member of the legal fraternity enjoys a more extensive practice or is more widely known than this gentleman. He came originally from the Blue Grass State, born in Georgetown, Scott County, January 8, 1854, and is a son of Harvey and Mary E. (Bowden) Duncan. The father was also a native of Kentucky, born in Madison County, and is of Scotch-Irish descent, his ancestors emigrating to this country at an early date. For many years the father made his home in Springfield but later moved to Canton, Ill., where he resides at the present time. Mrs. Duncan was a sister of Ex-Judge James H. Bowden of Kentucky. She died in the year 1862. Of the five children born to this worthy couple, only two besides our subject are now living: Prof. S. P. Duncan, a resident of Coldwater, Kan., and probate judge of his county, is a prominent attorney of his city, and Mrs. Allie B. Gardener, wife of J. B. Gardener, resides in Canton, Ill. The early recollections of our subject were of his native State but when the war broke out he moved with his parents to Evansville, Ind., from there to Canton, Ill., in 1866, where he remained for five or six years. He was educated in the Evansville and Canton high schools, and also attended the McGree College in Macon County, Mo., thus securing good educational advantages. After leaving school he became a teacher and while thus occupied he took up the study of law. Later he entered the law office of Cravens & Bray and was admitted to the bar in 1876. The same year he began practicing his profession in Springfield and in 1878 was elected city recorder and re-elected in 1879. For four years after this he held the office of justice of the peace, was elected assistant prosecuting attorney and later prosecuting attorney. Mr. Duncan has been chairman of the Republican committee of Springfield, for eight years, and has ever taken an active part in politics. He began giving his undivided attention to the practice of law in 1882, and since that time all his mind has been centered on that and his duties as prosecuting attorney. Since serving in that capacity he has prosecuted a large number of murder cases and is classed among the foremost attorneys of the city. Socially he is a member of the A. O. U. W., Lodge No. 402, Springfield, and a member of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church. Mr. Duncan has a pleasant home at No. 710 West Elm street, and this is presided over by his chosen companion, formerly Miss Levie A. Carson, a native of St. Louis and the daughter of Henry S. Carson of Springfield. Three children have been born to this union, as follows: Henry H., Harvey L. and Paul B. Mrs. Duncan holds membership in the Baptist Church and is a lady of intelligence and good judgement. Mr. Duncan has ever taken a deep interest in politics, has been a delegate to all the Republican conventions, and is one of the influential young men of the county. From the Springfield Leader, 23 July 1916 Sunday Morning edition Jesse Hartley 105 Years Old Five Years Past the Century Mark Webster County Resident Is Hale and Hearty Big Celebration Today Kinsmen From Many States Will Assist Five Generations In Observing Anniversary Five generations of the family of Jesse B. Hartley, pioneer resident of Webster county, will assemble at the Hosmer grove adjoining the old Hartley homestead, eight miles west of Marshfield, today to celebrate with Mr. Hartley his 105th birthday anniversary. He will not be 105, however, until December 17. As far as is known, Mr. Hartley is the oldest man in Missouri. Although the infirmities of age have made their mark on the aged man, he still is able to speak and act with reasonable ability and will enjoy with the youngest the elaborate program which has been arranged for the annual celebration. It is expected that 200 sons, grandsons, great-grandsons and great-great-grandsons and daughters of four generations will be in attendance at the big family reunion. The event will take on more than a local importance and will be attended by relatives and friends from more than a dozen states. Three of the grandchildren reside in Springfield. They are E.H. Hartley of 556 West Division street, J.H. Hartley of 994 North Campbell street, and Mrs. Nettie Breese of 825 Rogers avenue. There are three sons and a daughter living in Webster county, all within four miles of the old homestead. They are Hamilton, Bentley and Robert Hartley, who live near the family home, and Mrs. Sallie Bass, who lives within four miles of the homestead. Mr. Hartley was born in North Carolina, December 17, 1811. He moved to Missouri in 1840, coming to Webster county by way of St. Louis with wagon and team. They crossed the Mississippi river in a ferry boat. The celebration today is the first that has been held by the family since Mr. Hartley's hundredth birthday anniversary. At that time the severe weather prevented many of the relatives from attending the celebration and it was decided to hold the next one, if Mr. Hartley lived that long, five years later during the summer. Kinsmen of Mr. Hartley attribute his strength of body and mind at his advanced age to his temperate habits and abstinence from use of alcoholic beverages. He has one habit, an unusual one for this day. He sniffs snuff. From their earliest childhood, grandchildren of Mr. Hartley recall seeing him take a pinch of snuff and inhale it, after having finished a meal. He still follows the old habit, relatives here said yesterday. Mr. Hartley possesses a splendid memory and enjoys narrating events in connection with his boyhood and early youth. He was twice married, both of his former helpmates having preceded him to the grave some years ago. He makes his home with his sons, all of who live near the old homestead. A number of Springfield friends of the family will attend the outing. There will be religious services during the day.
Missouri Records Kansas Records Cemetery Transcriptions
Census Transcriptions Marriage Records Obituary Index
Family Research Research Requests Email Webmaster

free web counter
Alienware Computer Coupons