Biographical Sketches D-F From Goodspeed's 1889 History of Camden County
S. E. Darnell, general merchant and postmaster at Climax Springs, Mo., was born in Ohio in 1844, and is a son of Samuel and Nancy (Logan) Darnell, natives of Pennsylvania and Ohio, respectively, the former's birth occurring in 1820. He moved from his native State to Ohio when a boy, and in 1869 located in Camden county, Mo., where he was engaged in carpentering and millwrighting. His parents, Samuel and Hannah (Tibbs) Darnell, were Virginians, and became early residents of Ohio, where they spent the remainder of their days, the father being engaged in carpentering and boat building. The maternal grandparents, Moses and Jane (Brookhaw) Logan, were born in Ireland and Ohio, respectively. The former crossed the ocean and settled in Ohio, where he was engaged in farming until his death. S. E. Darnell, whose name heads this sketch, is one of seven children, six now living, whose names are as follows: John, Anna (Lane), Richard, Caroline (Carter), Lewis Darnell and S. E. The latter spent his early life in his native State, and at the age of twenty-four embarked on the sea of life for himself, and in 1882 moved to Camden county, Mo., and a year later to Climax Springs where he established his present general mercantile business, which stock is valued at about $2,000. For the first six months he was in partnership with George Blevins, but has since been sole proprietor, and has managed the business alone. He is a Democrat in politics, and since 1888 has been postmaster of the town. In 1874 he wedded Miss Anna Griesel, who was born in Germany in 1856, and is a daughter of George and Catherine (Leidheiser) Griesel, who were also Germans and came to America in 1861, settling in Camden county. Their children are as follows: Anna (Darnell), Adam, William, George, Louisa, Matilda, Sophia, Antulp and Della. Mr. and Mrs. Darnell are the parents of the following children: Mr. and Mrs. Darnell are the parents of the follow- ing children: Ardella, Emma, James, Cora and Everett. Mr. Darnell is a Mason. S. J. Davis, blacksmith at Linn Creek, was born in St. Francois county, Mo., October 28, 1832, and is the son of Severe and Sarah (Parrick) Davis, natives of Kentucky and North Carolina, respectively. The father immigrated with his family to St. Francois county, Mo., at an early day and there died. He was a successful farmer. In about 1844 the widow and family immigrated to Camden county, and located on the Little Nian- gua River. There were plenty of Indian camps, and the place was very wild. The mother was afterward married to Benjamin Shumate, and they moved to Laclede county, Mo., where she died. Of the six children born to her first marriage S. J. Davis is the only one now living. He was about twelve years of age when he came to this county, and here he was reared on the farm. At the age of seventeen he was apprenticed to learn the blacksmith trade, which he learned at Buffalo, remaining about six years. In 1849 he came to Camden county, and located at Mack's Creek, where he carried on the business for himself. In 1861 he came to Linn Creek, where he has since conducted the business alone. He is also an undertaker, and manufactures coffins and furniture. In 1861 he enlisted in the State Militia, and for about three years was company blacksmith. He was married in 1847 to Miss Mary Sharp, by whom he has one child, deceased. His second marriage was in 1854, to Miss Margaret Johnson, who bore him two children, one living, Cornelia. His third marriage was to Miss Catherine Johnson, by whom he had four children, one living, John W. His present wife is Miss Elizabeth Skinner, by whom he has four children: Sarah, Belle, Mattie and Tea. Mr. and Mrs. Davis are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church; he is a member of the Masonic fraternity, the I. O. O. F. and Agricultural Wheel. He has held the office of justice of the peace for some four years. Henry Debery, farmer, was born in Carroll county, Ohio, December 5, 1847, being a son of Thomas and Emma (Johnson) Debery, who were born in Maryland and New Jersey, respectively. They both became residents of Ohio when very young, and were reared and married in Carroll county. When about eighteen years of age the father was crippled by falling from an apple tree, and he afterward learned the shoemaker's trade, following this occupation until he came to Missouri in 1861. He then resided on the farm in Glaize township until his death, in 1875, at the age of sixty-six years. He was a member of the Presbyterian church while residing in Ohio, but after coming to Missouri united with the Methodist Episcopal Church, in which he was an active member. He was also an active politician, and a strong Union man during the war, and furnished the Government with valuable information regarding the people and country. His wife is still living, and resides on the home farm in Camden county. Their eight children are named as follows: Henry, Alex- ander, John, George; Mary, wife of D. R. Miller; Albert, Isaac and Thomas C. Henry Debery attained his majority in Camden county, and received a fair education in the common schools. At the early age of sixteen years he enlisted in the Second Missouri Light Artillery, at Lebanon, Battery K, serving mostly at St. Louis and along the Mississ- ippi River. In 1865 his company was transferred to the plains in Montana to fight the Indians, and he participated in the battle fought on Powder River in Montana, which lasted about fifteen days. During this siege the troops suffered severely from hunger, and were finally obliged to eat their own horses and mules to keep from starving to death. From this point they returned to St. Louis and were disbanded. Mr. Debery farmed the home place for two years, but since his marriage which occurred in 1867, he has been engaged in farming for himself, and has been a resident of his present farm since 1878. He has held the office of county assessor since 1886, having also held a number of minor offices. His wife, whose maiden name was Samantha Shaha, was born in Ohio, and when a child was brought to Missouri by her parents, Jackson and Elizabeth Shaha, who were also natives of the "Buckeye State." Mrs. Debery is the eldest of their eight children, and is the mother of the following children: Ella; Effie, wife of Joseph Evans; Charles, Vallie, Emma, Lilburn, Virgil, Atha and Montez. Mr. Debery is a stanch Republican in politics, a member of the G. A. R. Post of Montreal, the A. O. U. W., and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. James N. B. Dodson was born in Camden county, Mo., in 1852, being a son of Benjamin D. and Joannah (Sprout) Dodson, who were born in Alabama and Kentucky, respectively, and were among the early settlers of Camden county. (For history of grandparents see sketch of Dr. William M. Dod- son.) James N. B. Dodson, our subject, was reared on a farm near where he now lives, but received only limited early educational advantages, as the schools of his day were few and far between, and were of an inferior kind. He afterward took a one year's course at the Richland Institute, and at the age of nineteen years embarked in business for himself, and for about eight months was engaged in selling goods at Marshfield, but his health became badly impaired, owing to confinement to the house, and he then came home and remained with his parents until they moved to a place near Richland, in 1874. In 1887 he came to his present place of abode, where he has a good farm well under cultivation and is considered by all as one of the progressive farmers of the coun- ty. In 1880 he was elected to represent Camden county in the State Legislature, and served with distinction for two years. He has also been a delegate to the State convention several different times, and has ever been a strong supporter of Democratic principles. He contri- butes freely to churches, schools and all worthy public enterprises, and is a member of the A. F. & A. M. In February, 1883, he was married to Miss Lola M. Stroud, in Benton county, Ark. She was born in Laclede county, but was reared in Benton county, being a daughter of A. B. and Mary I. Stroud, who were born in Tennessee, and came to Arkansas previous to their marriage. The father was a Union man, and came to Laclede county, Missouri, during the war, but he and wife are now residing in Jasper county, Mo. Mrs. Dodson is the fourth of their seven children, and she and Mr. Dodson are the parents of two children, Lola M. and Joan Z., and are members of the Christian church. Dr. William M. Dodson is one of the oldest settlers of Auglaize Township, Camden County, Mo., and was born in Tennessee January 11, 1811, being a son of James and Lucy (Davis) Dodson, who were born in Virginia and Tennessee, respectively, the former's birth occurring about 1772, and his death on the 23rd of December, 1832. When he was about eleven years old he removed to Tennessee with his parents, and located in what is now Sevier county. Here he grew to manhood on a farm, and after his marriage, in 1804, he became a disciple of Esculapius, and eventually became an eminent physician. From East Tennessee he moved to Middle Tennessee, and located on a branch of Duck River, where he erected a very fine grist mill, and resided here about eight years. He next took up his abode in Jackson county, Ala., thence about seven years later, to Jefferson county, Tenn., and from there to Hawkins county, and fin- ally to Boone county, Mo. He died in Camden county, while on his way with his family to Springfield, but left his wife and children in fair- ly good circumstances, he having been the owner of a number of slaves and considerable real estate. The mother was born in 1787, and died November 8, 1847, both she and her husband having been consistent members of the Baptist church. Five of their ten children are living at the present time: William M., Dr. James N. B., Lucy (Estes), Zilpha (Brockman), and Benjamin D., a farmer and merchant of Richland. James N. B. was the first clerk of Camden county, and is now living, retired from active business life, in Nevada, Mo. Dr. William M. Dodson was almost a man grown when he came to Missouri, and his education was acquired in the common schools of Alabama and Hawkins county, Tenn. He began the study of medicine after coming to Missouri, being under the instruction of his father, and after the latter's death continued his medical studies under his brother James, taking a course of lectures at Lexington, Ky., in the winter of 1836-37. He commenced practicing in the summer of the latter year, at Glaize City, Mo., continuing there until 1847, when he moved to his present location, where he has pract- iced the healing art, off and on, up to the present time. He was the only physician in the county for many years, and as he was very successful, his practice extended over a circuit of forty-five miles. February 21, 1843, he was married to Mrs. Mildred E. Bagerly, a native of North Carolina, born in 1817. She and her first husband came to Missouri in 1840, and here the latter died in 1842, after which his widow came to Camden county, to take the boat for Kentucky, but here met and married Dr. Dodson, by whom she is the mother of two children: Lucy E., the widow of Dr. J. W. Armstrong, and Penelope, wife of Josiah Traw. Dr. and Mrs. Dodson are active workers in the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, of which he has been a member since 1845, and is now a deacon, and he has always kept his home well supplied with church and medical journals, and has kept thoroughly up with the times. He is a Democrat in politics, and although he has often been urged to run for office, he has invariably refused. During the late war he was appointed chaplain of a company in the Confederate States army, but resigned on account of ill health, and joined his family in Texas, whither he had moved them in 1861. They returned to Missouri in July, 1866, where they have since made their home. Benjamin W. Earnest, a progressive farmer of Camden county, Mo., was born in Morgan county, of the same state, in 1854, and is a son of Amos and Mary (Wilson) Earnest, who were born in Tennessee in 1812 and 1818, and died in Morgan county, Mo., whither they had moved in 1839, in 1870 and 1869, respectively. The father was a farmer and blacksmith, and after leaving his native state resided for a time in Indiana. Their children are as follows: Addie (Cooper), Isaac, Jerusha J. (Allender), B. W. and John M. Benjamin W. Earnest resided in Morgan county until seventeen years of age, then engaged in farming for himself. He has been a resident of Camden county since 1882, and owns a tract of land consisting of 450 acres, with about 80 acres under cultivation. He is a Republican in politics, and cast his first presidential vote for Rutherford B. Hayes in 1876. He and family attend the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. His wife, whose maiden name was Mollie Roe, and whom he married in 1881, was born in Cooper county, Mo., in 1862, and is the mother of two children: Maggie and Henry. Her parents, Samuel and Zerilda (Lee) Roe, were born in Maryland and Missouri, respectively. The father was taken to Cooper county, Mo., when about five years of age (1821) and there he was engaged in farming and blacksmithing. He was justice of the peace of the county for fifteen years, and has been postmaster of Proctor, Mo., for the past six years. The following are their children: Lizzie (Greene), Samuel, Kelly, William, Mollie (Earnest) and James. James C. Earp. Among the farmers of Camden county, Mo., whose efforts have been attended with a goodly degree of success may be mentioned Mr. Earp, who was born in Miller County, September 21, 1843. His parents, John C. and Mary (Record) Earp, were born in Tennessee and Illinois, respectively, the former immigrating with his father, Josiah Earp, to Miller county, Mo., at an early day. After residing in this county for a number of years he came to Camden county in 1856, and here died on the 16th of January, 1870. His widow and five of his six children are still living. Grandfather Earp was born in Ireland, and when quite young came to the United States, locating first in Tennessee, but died in Hickory county, Mo. He was a lieutenant in the War of 1812. James C. Earp's brothers' and sisters' names are as follows: Josiah (who was killed in the late war), John C., William L., Mary A. (wife of Monroe Stevens), Narcissus J. (wife of W. J. Miller). The subject of this sketch was reared on farms in Hickory and Camden counties, and resided on the old homestead until December, 1881, when he located on his present farm. His home farm consists of 600 acres, with 125 acres under cultivation, besides which he owns two other tracts, each consisting of 146 acres, which are well adapted to raising stock. In 1870 he was married to Miss Sarah Kelly, by whom he has seven children: Olive M., Annie S., Thompson J., Carrie M., John M., Fannie J. and Virgil. Mr. and Mrs. Earp are members of the Christian church. Andrew Estes, a farmer of Adair township, Camden county, was born in that county in 1843, and is a son of John G. and Lucy (Dodson) Estes. John G. Estes was born in Alabama in 1809. He was a farmer by occupation, and when young moved to Missouri, where he met and married Lucy Dodson, a native of North Carolina, who was born in 1816. Of the ten children born to them, five are now living, viz.: Mary G. Smith, Susan Russell, Zilpha Foster, Penelope Gibson and Andrew Estes. Elizabeth Chitwood and Lucy Simpson (deceased) were married and reared families before their deaths. The paternal grandparents of our subject were Andrew and Mary (Gibson) Estes, natives of South Carolina, who removed from their native state to Tennessee, and in 1832 to Boone county, Mo., subsequently settling in Camden county. The maternal grandparents of Andrew Estes were James and Lucy (Davis) Dodson, who immigrated to Missouri from Tennessee. James Dodson was a physician, and Mrs. Dodson was a relative of Jefferson Davis. John G. Estes, father of our subject, died in 1862; his widow is still living in Camden county. Andrew Estes spent his early life in attending the common schools of his native county, and at the age of nineteen began life for himself as a farmer of the same county. July 4, 1861 he enlisted in the Confederate army, Company A, Sixteenth Missouri Cavalry, under command of Colonel Johnson and Capt. Charles Hawthorne. He participated in the battles of Springfield, Lexington, Pea Ridge and Prairie Grove, and was taken prisoner near Fayetteville, Ark., in 1863; he was confined at the latter place three weeks, and was then taken to Springfield, Mo., where he remained until March, 1863, when he enlisted in the United States army, Company D, Eleventh Missouri Cavalry, Col. William D. Woods, Capt. Holstein, and served until discharged in August, 1865. In 1867 Mr. Estes married Mary Foster, who was born in Camden county, Mo., in 1847, and is the daughter of Williamson and Nancy (Brown) Foster, natives of Kentucky, whose four living children are James, Thomas, Leonard and Mary. Jonas Brown, maternal grandfather of Mrs. Estes, served in the War of 1812; his wife was Mary (Hart) Brown. Mr. and Mrs. Estes are the parents of nine children, viz.: Elizabeth, Nancy P., Martha E., Jenora, John W., Lucy A., Ethel and Eltha (twins) and Andrew A. Mr. Estes bought his present home in 1873; he owns 120 acres of good bottom land, of which forty acres are under cultivation. In politics he is a Democrat. Joshua Farmer, of Camden county, Mo., was born in Montgomery county, Va., April 13, 1837, and is a son of John and Christina (Bishop) Farmer who were born in Virginia, and there made their home for many years, but immigrated with the paternal grandfather, Joseph, to Missouri, in 1838, locating in Cole county, but died in Miller county. They exper- ienced many dangers and privations in their trip westward, and had considerable difficulty in crossing the mountains, which were at that time infested by numerous gangs of cut-throats and robbers, but were piloted safely through by a man by the name of John Gausley, who did not know the meaning of fear. John Farmer, the father of Joshua Farmer came to Missouri at the same time, and entered a tract of land in Cole county, ten miles south of Jefferson City, and here resided until 1851, when he moved to Fremont county, Iowa, and at the end of four years to Andrew county, Mo., but finally located on the Osage river, near Linn Creek, where he purchased a farm and remained until the war broke out, at which time he moved North. At the close of hostilities he returned to Missouri, and died at Linn Creek. His wife died in 1873. Two of their nine children are living: Joshua and Joseph M. The former was an infant when brought to Missouri, and until seventeen years of age resided in Cole county. In 1861 he enlisted in Company B, Second Battalion, but at the end of six months the company was disbanded, and Mr. Farmer enlisted in the Ninth Missouri Cavalry, and from July 13, 1863 to July 13, 1865, served with this company, and fought bush- whackers in Northern Missouri. In 1869 he purchased his present farm on the Osage river, consisting of 300 acres, and is now considered one of the prosperous farmers and stock men of the county. In 1860 he wedded Miss Zeruviah A. Roberts, who died in 1871, having borne four children, who are all deceased: Mary Francis, Joseph William and two infants. In 1871 he married his second wife, Miss Fannie L. Edwards, who died August 23, 1874 leaving one child, Margaret J. Mr. Farmer's third wife, Indiana A. Farmer, whom he married in 1874, has borne seven children, five living. The names of those deceased were James Edward and William E. Mr. and Mrs. Farmer are members of the Christian Church, and he belongs to the I. O. O. F. Dr. T. J. Feaster, a successful druggist at Climax Springs, Camden Co., Mo., was born in Benton county, Mo., October 12, 1861, and is one of five surviving members of a family of six children born to the marriage of E. S. Feaster and Deborah (Cobb) Feaster, who were born in Tennessee and South Carolina, in 1827 and 1825, respectively. They moved from their native states to Benton county, Mo., about fifty years ago (1839) and here are now residing, having followed the occupation of farming throughout life. In 1861 the father enlisted in the Confederate army, and served under Gen. Price throughout the war, participating in all the battles in which that general was engaged. He was wounded at Wilson's Creek, and was confined in the hospital for three months, and surrendered at Shreveport. His father was born in Tenn., and his wifes parents were natives of North Carolina. His children are as follows: Mary (Bailey), George, W. A., Elizabeth (Brown), deceased; Dr. T. J. and Emma (Nowell). Dr. T. J. Feaster made his home in Benton county until nineteen years of age, then entering the Morrisville Collegiate Institute, which institution he attended during 1880-81. He was then engaged in "teaching the young idea" for about five terms, and also read medicine under Dr. T. J. Sheldon, of Quincy, Hickory Co., Mo., and in 1887 attended the medical department of the University of Kansas City, Mo., graduating in February, 1888, after which he began practicing his profession at Climax Springs; he has gained the confidence and esteem of the public, and has acquired an extensive practice. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity and is a Democrat, casting his first vote for Grover Cleveland in 1884. J. W. Francisco is a prosperous farmer and general merchant of Spring Valley, Mo., and was born in Saline county, Mo., in 1849, his parents being J. G. and Sarah (Wood) Francisco, both natives of Kentucky. The former's birth occurred in 1812, and his death in Missouri, in October, 1888, his wife dying in 1880. They became residents of Saline county, Mo., in 1837, and there followed the occupation of farming, and reared their family of four children: Sophia L. (Ross), Anna J. (Martin), Mollie E. (Martin), and J. W. The latter was reared in his native county, and at the age of twenty years engaged in farming for himself, and was married in 1867 to Miss Fanny Martin, who was born in Clark county, Ky., in 1846. Her parents, Samuel T. and Eliza (Jones) Martin, were also born there, and moved to Missouri about 1850, where they reared their eleven children: G. Thomas, Samuel D., Charles, Frank, Fannie (Francisco), Bettie (Yantis), Mary (Francisco), Kate (Garvin), Helen (Moberly), Anna (Parks) and Hester. Mr. and Mrs. Francisco are the parents of the following children: George T., Woodie E., Anna J., John S., Mary E. and Murray C. Mr. Francisco owns 160 acres of valu- able land, with forty acres under cultivation, and his mercantile stock is valued at $1,500. He and family attend the Presbyterian church, and he is a Democrat. His paternal grandparents, John and Julia (Lewis) Francisco, were born in Virginia in 1760 and 1780, and died in Missouri in 1844 and 1859, respectively. They moved from Virginia to Kentucky, thence to Missouri in 1837, and were there engaged in farming. The grandfather was a soldier in the Revolutionary War at the age of six- teen, and was at the battle of Cowpens. He was colonel of a regiment in the War of 1812, and received one severe wound during his service. The maternal grandparents, Thomas and Sarah Wood, were also Virginians, and at an early day moved to Danville, Ky., where they owned a hotel, and he was judge of Mercer county court.
Home Queries Other Research Links Surrounding Counties