Benton County Missouri Biographies  
Biographies of Benton County Citizens From Goodspeed's 1889 History *Disclaimer* I think these biographies are a great resource, but they aren't always 100% factual. I would use them as a resource, then work toward documenting what you find listed in the bio, because these weren't exactly written by the people them- selves. But they are great sources of information, and many contain two or three or more generations of the family. Good luck! Biographies D - G Biographies H - M Biographies N - Z
T. P. Baldwin, farmer and stock-raiser, was born in Benton County, Mo., February 20, 1849, his parents being John A. and Sarah (Duren) Baldwin, who came to Missouri about 1840, and were here married. T. P. Baldwin is the fourth of nine children, seven sons and two daughters, five of whom reached maturity and four are now living. He remained with his parents until nineteen years of age, when he was carried to Miss M ary E. Kennedy, by whom he has five children. Their names are as follows: Charles E., born November 8, 1869; John W., born December 23, 1872; Sarah C., born June 17, 1875; Maude A., born October 5, 1880, and Thomas P., born September 21, 1887. Sixty-five of the 254 acres of land owned by Mr. Baldwin are under cultivation, but 100 acres are in a condition to be tilled. The rest of the land is heavily covered with timber. He is president of the Good Hope Wheelers, and he and wife are members of the Christian Church. A. Berens, one of the oldest, or, in fact, the oldest settler in Lin- coln, came to this city in 1868 and bought out Hermann Luherman, who had built a store-room and dwelling in. 1865, and had startedthe postoffice in 1866, and named it Lincoln. It is now, with the large additions to it, occupied by Fred Schwettman in general merchandise. Mr. Berens has retired from active business, and now, owing to the fact that he has always lived a single life, is nicely ensconced in pleas- ant apartments over the store of the building which he still owns. He has been closely identified with the business interests of Lincoln, and is also one of the leading Republicans of the county. During Republican administration he held the postoffice at Lincoln, and has always worked for the good of the Republican party in that county. Mr. Berens is a native of Germany, born February 14, 1823, and emigrants from his own country coming to the township are given a correct idea of American politics as viewed by him. He served in the Prussian army from 1845 to 1847, and was called in when the Revolution broke out in 1848, and so again in 1849, at the time of the war with Denmark. Since coming to America, in 1850, he has used every effort in his power to build up his town, and may well be proud of the neat little village. Peter Bockelman. Prominent among the many enterprising and respected citizens of the county, and among those deserving special notice for their long residence in the county, stands the name of Mr, Bockelman, who was born in Hanover, Germany, in 1833. His par- ents, George F. and Anna (Ficken) Bockelman, were both natives of Hanover, Germany, and the father was a tiller of the soil. They immigrated to America in the fall of 1848, settling in Benton County, Mo., on what was then known as Big Prairie, where the father purchased and improved a farm. Here he died in 1860, at the age of sixty-five years. The mother died in 1884, at the age of eighty-four years. They were both members of the Lutheran Church, and took an active part in church work. Their family consisted of five children: Margaret, wife of Fred Behrens; Frederick (deceased), Peter, Henry, now a farmer of Benton County, and John C., also a farmer of Benton County. Peter Bockelman was educated in the schools of Germany, and came to America with his parents in 1848, when sixteen years of age. He stopped at St. Louis, and was engaged in teaming and in public work for a few months. He then went to St. Charles, Mo., and worked in a livery stable for three years. After this he went as teamster for a surveying company on the North Missouri Railroad, and remained with them for a number of months. He then visited his parents, and while there engaged with John Frink & Co., as a stage driver. He drove from Boeschenville to Warsaw, and was engaged in this business for three years and three months without missing a day, and endured many hardships. February 3, 1856, he married Mrs. Nancy E. Carrieo, a native of Benton County, and the daughter of James I. and Matilda Weaver, both natives of Tennessee. The father was among the first settlers of Benton County, and died in 1862, at the age of seventy-eight years. The mother died in 1878, at the age of seventy-seven years. Both were members of the Baptist Church. After marriage Mr. Bockelman purchased a farm of fifty-three acres in Williams Township, where he remained until 1863, when he purchased 160 acres, and to this he added until he now has 596 acres of excellent land. He and wife are the parents of four children: George, at home; James H., farmer in Benton County; John R., now on a farm in the county, and Sophia, wife of Henry Harms, of Cole County, Mo. Mr. and Mrs. Bockelman are devoted members of the Lutheran Church, and he takes an active part in church work. Politically he is a Republican. During the war he enlisted in the Benton County Home Guards, and was in the battle of Cole Camp, and received a gunshot wound in the thigh which partly disabled him from further duty. He is a liberal contributor to all public enterprises in the county. He commenced life a poor boy, but by industry and economy is now one of the leading men of the county, and is well known and respected by all. Herman Boeschen, collector of Benton County, Mo., was born in the province of Hanover, Germany, April 23, 1832, and is a son of Jacob Boeschen, who was also born in Germany and was there reared and married, the latter event being to Miss Gesina Harms. In 1839 the family immigrated to the United States, and first settled at Marietta, Ohio, where they resided about one year, after which they took up their abode in Cincinnati, Ohio, and in 1843 came to St. Louis. Here Mrs. Boeschen died in 1854, the husband's death taking place in Benton County in 1875. Herman Boeschen, the subject of this sketch, grew to manhood in St. Louis, receiving a fair education in the schools of that city. He spent about two years in learning the carpenter's trade, and then engaged in draying for a number of years. On the breaking out of the Rebellion he espoused the Union cause, and in 1861 enlisted in the United States Reserve Corps, Fifth Regiment of Infantry. He participated in the battles of Boonville and Blue Mills, Mo., being wounded by a gunshot in the right shoulder in the latter battle. and being permanently disabled, received his discharge the same year. In 1866 he settled in the east part of Benton County, and was there engaged in merchandising until 1884, and also carried on farming and buying and shipping stock. At the latter date he was elected county collector and served one term, and is now filling the duties of the same office, being elected on the Republican ticket. In 1854, while residing in St. Louis, he was married to Anna Martha Iba, a native of Germany, by whom he is the father of seven children: Mary, wife of George Brunkhorst, of Morgan County; Herman C., a merchant; Catherine, wife of Gerd Miller, of Benton County; John H., a farmer; Henry, Edward and Emma. Mr. and Mrs. Boeschen are members of the Evangelical Lutheran Church, and he is a member of the G. A. R. John Bohling, who is now living on Section 30, Williams Township, is one of the old and much esteemed citizens of Benton County. He came to this county about twenty-five years ago, and during all that time has lived on his present farm. He is a native of Germany, born September 20, 1828, and is the son of Gerd and Tebke Bohling, who were the parents of five children, two sons and three daughters. John Bohling left Germany for America in 1854, and landed at New Orleans, where he remained one winter. He was married, in 1864, to Miss Sophia Heiterberg, who bore him five children: Gerd, born March 30, 1865, and who is now living at home; Henry, born April 2, 1867, and who is now in Sedalia engaged in the railroad business; Sophia, born July 10, 1869, now at home; Ernest (deceased), was born May 12, 1875, and died June 19, 1876, and Lena (deceased),who was born May 3, 1878, and died June 2, 1881. Mr. and Mrs. Bohling and the three children living are members of the Lutheran Church. Mr. Bohling is a Republican in politics. Aside from his farming interests he is also engaged to some extent in handling stock. His eldest son is occupied in the business of boring wells for windmills. Mr. Bohling's wife owned one-fourth of the farm, which consisted of 169 acres, and since then Mr. Bohling has bought out the interest of the other heirs. Frederich Borchers, farmer and stock raiser, was born in the province of Hanover, Germany, December 29,1826, and is the son of Jacob and Catherine (Schroeder) Borchers, both natives of the province of Hanover, where they passed their last days. Frederich Borchers grew to manhood in the province of Hanover, Germany, and received a good education in his native language. He also learned the carpenter trade, and in 1849 immigrated to America, locating in New York City, where he followed his trade for six months. In 1854 he went to California via Nicaragua, and spent about three years in the mines of that State. In 1858 he returned to the East, located in St. Louis, and was there engaged at his trade for about a year. He then moved to Benton County, purchased land where he now resides, and in connection with his farming interest carried on his trade for several years in this county. He has 280 acres of fine prairie land, all under a good state of cultivation. During the late war he served three months in the regular army, and afterthat was in the Home Guards. While living in St. Louis he was married, in the spring of 1860, to Miss M. C. Harms, a native of Germany, where she was reared. One son, John Francis, was born to this union. He married Miss Ann Hashagen, a native of Benton County, and is the father of one child-Johanna Louisa C. Mr. and Mrs. Borchers, with their son and his wife, are members of the St. John's Lutheran Church. Robert Bradley, railroad tie contractor and farmer, has been a resident of Benton County, Mo., for twelve years, having been born in York State November 15, 1839. About 1845 he went with his parents to Canada, where he made his home until nearly 1857, then shipped on board a merchant vessel, and followed the sea until 1871, rising from an ordinary seaman to mate, and finally becoming master of the vessel "Edward R. Blake " in 1867. In 1871 he located on the Wisconsin River, in the State of Wisconsin, and was engaged in the lumber business for two or three years. From this point he went to Arkansas, and there for a time had charge of the timber works for the Fulton Railroad Company. He was then employed by a company that dealt largely in walnut lumber, and while thus occupied was in many different States. After coming to Benton County, Mo., he worked for A. J. Campbell in the railroad tie business, but some five years ago embarked in business for himself, and is now a railroad tie contractor, and also engaged in farming. He owns about ninety-five acres of good bottom land, all of which is under cultivation and well improved. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and votes the Republican ticket. He is the youngest of his parents' ten sons; and one brother was drowned at sea, and another died while at home. His wife, whom he married in 1883, and whose maiden name was Margaret E. Calfee, has borne him two children: Casper Vardeman, who died March 4, 1886, and Catherine Anne, who was born February 14, 1887. Frederick Brauer. Prominent among the old and much esteemed citizens of Union Township, Benton Co., Mo., stands the name of the above mentioned gentleman, who was born in Germany September 16, 1826, and is the son of Henry and Margaret (Dorman) Brauer. Of the eight children born to their union only three are now alive: Henry, now living in Pettis County on the old homestead; Margaret, the widow of Henry Alrech, a resident of Benton County, and Frederick, subject of this sketch. The last named came to America with his parents in 1842, landed at New Orleans, then came on a Mississippi River steamer as far as St. Louis, and from there sailed up the Missouri river as far as Boonville. The father bought an improved farm of 160 acres in Pettis County, and after increasing this to 250 acres, died at the age of fifty-eight years. He was born in 1791. Mrs. Brauer was born in 1790 and died in 1875. Frederick Brauer remained at home on his father's farm until twenty-two years of age, when he was united in marriage to Miss Anna Brockman, August 17, 1847. She was a native of Germany, and was born August 18, 1828. Her parents, C. H. and C. Brockman, came from Germany in 1844 and settled in Benton County, Mo. Both are now deceased. Soon after his marriage Frederick Brauer purchased a farm of 160 acres, on which he soon moved. To his union were born ten children: Henry, Christina, Margaret, Peter, John, Frederick, Anna and George. Two are deceased, George and Mary Ann. In connection with his general farming Mr. Brauer raises and handles stock quite extensively. He is Republican in his politics, and filled the position of postmaster at Brauersville for eight years. He and Mrs. Brauer are members of the German Lutheran Church. Their son Peter was born August 14, 1855, in Benton County, Mo., and is running a general store at Brauersville. He worked on his father's farm until sixteen years of age, and then learned the blacksmith trade at Lincoln, Benton county, but went from there to Nebraska, where he followed his trade for about two years. He then came back to Benton County, and in the fall of 1877 he built a shop at this place, which he conducted for some time and then engaged in merchandising. In 1887 he bought out his father's mercantile business, which was established in 1876, and has since been actively engaged. He carries a stock of goods valued at $2,000. May 24, 1878, he married Miss Seney Harms, a native of Missouri, born April 24, 1856, and the daughter of John and Anna (Banches) Harms. To Mr. and Mrs. Brauer were born two children, Anna and Lena, the latter being deceased. Mr. Brauer is a Republican in his political views. Fred Brill, merchant and postmaster of Lincoln, Mo., was born in Butler County, Ohio, March 20, 1846, being a son of Henry and Dorothy (Miller) Brill, who were born, reared and married in their native land of Germany. About 1840 they emigrated to the United States and settled in Butler County, Ohio, and there the father died in 1852. Fred Brill grew to manhood in his native county, and in March, 1864, enlisted in the Fifty-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry,. and served until he received his discharge in August, 1865, at Camp Denison, Ohio, being mustered out as corporal. He was a participant in the battles of Resaca, Dallas, Kenesaw Mountain and Atlanta,. and at the latter battle was taken prisoner and held two months at Andersonville. After being exchanged he returned to his regiment, the next engagement in which he participated being Savannah. Here he was also engaged in the storming of Fort McAllister, and afterward in the battle of Bentonville, N. C. After the war he continued to reside in Ohio until 1867, when, after a residence of about one year in Macon County, Ill., he came to Missouri, locating first in Pettis County, where he remained during the summer and fall, and then came to Lincoln and opened a shoe-shop; he worked at his trade until the fall of 1882, then formed a business partnership and engaged in the general mercantile business, the present firm being Brill & Wisdom. They have an excellent stock of goods, and do an annual business of about $25,000. Mr. Brill was married in Benton County, March 24, 1875, to Miss Lucy Pierce, who was born in Ohio and was reared and educated in that State and in Missouri. She is a daughter of John W. Pierce, and by Mr. Brill is the mother of four sons: Charles D., Samuel O., John W. and Harrison F. Mr. Brill is a member of the Masonic fraternity, and since August 30, 1885, has been postmaster of Lincoln, and has been notary public since the fall of 1882. He has never applied for a pension. William M. Burnsides, who has been a resident of Benton County, Mo., the past six years, is a native of Kansas City, Mo., born January 25, 1864, and is the son of Joseph and Nancy (Kid) Burnsides. Their family consisted of five children: Mildred, now living in Kansas; Alice, also living in Kansas; William M. and James (deceased). William M. Burnsides was reared in Kansas City, and July 15, 1885, he was united in marriage to Miss Celia Polston, daughter of Greenberry and Malinda (Leihew) Polston, and a native of Illinois, born January 25, 1861 She is one of twelve children, viz.: America (deceased), Josephine, wife of W. H. Baldwin, now in Idaho; George W. (deceased), John Thomas (deceased), Greenberry (deceased), Louisa (deceased), William H., now in Benton County; Celia, Acel M., now at home, and James. In 1888 Mr. Burnsides purchased the land where he now lives, which consists of forty acres of improved land. He clerked in a store at Hastain before buying his farm, and at present he is engaged in learning the miller's trade. Politically Mr. Burnsides is a member of the Democratic party. He and wife are members of the Wheel Reliance. James R. Caldwell. Closely associated with the farming interests of Benton County stands the name of Mr. Caldwell, who was born in Bourbon County, Ky., and is the son of Thomas Caldwell. The latter was one of the early settlers of Kentucky, and was intimately acquainted with Daniel Boone. J. R. Caldwell came to Missouri and settled in Callaway County fifty-nine years ago, when he was but a lad of ten. He was reared here when the territory was indeed wild and uninhabited. Snakes were everywhere, and wild animals abounded on the prairie and in the forest. It was an ordinary sight to see from twenty-five to one hundred deer in a drove, or from twenty to forty elk. He married Miss Elizabeth Jane Davis, daughter of Gerald Davis, February 25, 1847, and moved to Benton County, Mo., in 1854, entering the farm where he now resides. There he has since lived, with the exception of a few years during the war. He has held the office of justice of the peace for ten consecutive years and notary public four years. Mr. Caldwell is a farmer and stock-raiser, and the owner of one of the finest horses in the county, "Cleveland Bay." This horse has taken three premiums at the Henry County Fair, the first being for all purposes, second as the best harness horse, and third for being one of the best colts of "Bay Splendor," owned by Dr. Robinson, of Henry County. Mr. Caldwell is a member of the Temperance lodge, also the Masonic lodge; is a member of the Old School Presbyterian Church, and is a Democrat in politics. To his marriage were born the following children: Mary, who married Edgar Smith, of Benton County, and who is now living in California; Eleanor married John Harper, of Henry County, and is now residing in Calhoun; she is the mother of two children: Amelia (deceased) was the wife of Peter H. Plank, of Bringhurst, Ind., and was the mother of eight children, six of whom survive her; Margaret married George McDan- iels and is the mother of two children. The sons re Charles T. G., Caldwell, James Ewen, and Robert B. Caldwell. Robert only remains at home. Mrs. Elizabeth Jane Caldwell died August 26, 1874, in her forty-sixth year. In many respects she was one of the best women the world has ever known. A true lady, she was the embodiment of every excellence, and none knew her well but to admire her. Mr. Caldwell was married again, January 1, 1877, to Mrs. Eliza A. Burns, widow of James Burns, of Warsaw, who was killed at the battle of Pea Ridge, in 1861. James P. Carlin, of the flouring firm of Wenger & Carlin, was born in Washington County, Ohio, November 13, 1844, his father, James Carlin, and mother, whose maiden name was Elizabeth Cherry, being natives of Westmoreland County, Penn. The family settled in Ohio at an early day, and there the father was engaged in farming and milling until his death. James P. Carlin grew to manhood in Ohio, and remained with his father until the war, and in 1862 enlisted in the Seventy-eighth Ohio Volunteer Infantry (which was afterward consolidated with the One Hundred and Twenty-fifth Ohio) and served as corporal until he received his discharge for disability early in 1865. He participated in thirteen engagements, the most important of which were Franklin, Fort Donelson, Chickamauga, Pellham, Hillsboro and Missionary Ridge. In the last engagement he received a gunshot wound in the left hip joint, which disabled him from further service, and confined him to the hospital for three months. He was then sent home. but returned to the hospital and remained eight months, after which he was discharged at Parkersburg, W. Va. After his return home he was married, on the 5th of October, 1866, to Miss Elizabeth Pumphrey, of Licking County, Ohio. The following year they moved to Pettis County, Mo., near Sedalia, where they made a farm, on which they resided until 1884, then sold out and came to Benton County, and bought the farm adjoining Lincoln, being also engaged in the stock business. In September, 1888, he traded for his present mill property. After the death of his first wife, which occurred on the 3d of June, 1879, he was married, February 15, 1881, to Ella C. Ham, a daughter of Judge H. H. Ham, of Benton County, and by her is the father of three children: Nora, the eldest, died in infancy; Lottie and James H. His first union resulted in the birth of the following children: A. W., Leona M., Della Pearl and Cherry S. E. One child died in early childhood. Mr. and Mrs. Carlin are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he is a member of the G. . R., being commander of U. S. Grant Post, No. 236, which was organized August 31, 1884. W. W. Chastain, a native of Benton County, Mo., was born on what is known as the Chastain Nursery Farm, located five miles northwest of Lincoln, February 23, 1856, and is the son of J. E. Chastain, who moved from Kentucky to Benton County, Mo., in 1849. In 1855 he settled on the place known as the Chastain Nursery Farm. Mr. Chastain is still a resident of the neighborhood, and is the owner of a fine farm of 240 acres. He was postmaster of Cloverdale during the war, and has been elected to the office of justice of the peace for several consecutive terms. His son, W. W. Chastain, is the owner of what is known as the Cloverdale Stock Farm, consisting of 240 acres of the richest prairie land in the county. He makes a specialty of thoroughbred registered Poland-China hogs, having bred to Hugh's Perfection, No. 3,281; also to Festus, which was in sweepstakes litter, and was a premium boar pig; this was first in his class in 1884, and his register is 2,017. In his stock cattle Mr. Chastain has some very fine animals, having in his herd ten head that are registered and. eligible to registry. He also raises a fine grade of Plymouth Rock chickens. He was married to Miss Mary Belle Gallaher, daughter of Judge George Gallaher, of Benton County, who was captain of the Home Militia during the war. To Mr. and Mrs. Chastain were born two children, both sons: A. Robin and A. Ross. Mr. Chastain is now identified with the Prohibition movement. Whitefield Cherrington, surveyor of Benton County, was born in Gallia County, Ohio, November 7, 1843, and is the son of John Cherrington, a native of Virginia, born and reared in Rockingham County. The father went to Ohio when a young man, and was married in Jackson County to Miss Jane H. Kirkpatrick, a native also of Virginia. She was born in Monroe County, Va. He was a farmer by occupation, and followed this calling in Gallia until his death, being eighty-seven years of age. He held the office of county commissioner for several terms, and was a prominent citizen. Whitefield Cherrington grew to manhood in his native county, and received a good education in the common schools. In the fall of 1862 he enlisted in the Seventh Ohio Cavalry, Company L, and served until discharged in July, 1865. He participated in the fight at Hazel Green, Ky., Knoxville siege, Strawberry Plains, and was at the siege of Atlanta. He was also in the Nashville fight, and was in the lights of Wilson's raid. He was off duty only about three weeks during his entire time. After his discharge he returned to Ohio, and remained in Gallia County until 1868, when he came to Missouri, and located in Benton County. He purchased land in the neighborhood of where he now resides, and improved a farm. He is identified with the Republican party, and has ever supported the principles of his party. He was nominated and elected surveyor of Benton County in 1880, was re-elected at the expiration of his term, and again re-elected in 1888. He is now serving his term to the satisfaction of all. He has taken an active part in politics, and has been a delegate to numerous county conventions. Mr. Cherrington is a member of the I. O. O. F., and is also a member of the Grand Army organization. John B. Clark, merchant and stock-dealer, of Warsaw, Mo., is a native of Benton County, born April 28, 1844, being a son of C. A. Clark, a native of Boston, Mass. The latter was taken to Michigan by his parents when a child, and after reaching manhood came to Missouri, whither his parents had moved at a previous date. Here he was married to Miss M. L. Clark, whose father was one of the early pioneers from New Jersey. Mr. Clark located in Warsaw, and here lived until his death in the winter of 1863. He was at one time postmaster of Warsaw, and also served as enumerator during the census year. John B. Clark was reared in Benton County, and at the age of twelve years began clerking in a store in Springfield. In 1861 he enlisted in the First State Guard, and in the summer of 1862 went to Texas on detached duty. He then enlisted in the regular Confederate service, joining the Eleventh Missouri Infantry, and serving until the close of the war, being on detached duty the most of the time, though in the quartermaster's department a considerable period. After being disbanded at Shreveport, La., he returned to Warsaw, and was engaged in clerking for several years; but since 1874 has been engaged in merchandising on his own responsibility, the name of the firm at the pres- ent time being J. B. Clark & Co. They carry a large stock of general merchandise and have an extended and lucrative trade. Since 1878 Mr. Clark has been engaged in buying and shipping stock, which business is also proving remunerative. Mr. Clark was married in Warsaw to Miss Emma Parks, January 23, 1868. She was a daughter of Judge Samuel Parks, one of the early pioneers of the county. She was born, reared and educated in Benton County, and here died November 19, 1877. Mr. Clark then married, July 17, 1881, Miss M. M. Terry, adopted daughter of Dr. H. J. Watts, a native of Alabama, but reared and educated in Illinois. By her he became the father of four children: Louise, Mary, Emma and John B., Jr. Mr. Clark is the eldest of five children. One brother, C. T. Clark, who was a former business partner, died August 23, 1888. Another brother, R.. A. Clark, is a traveling salesman. The other members of the family are residents of Warsaw. B. Cordes, a successful agriculturist and stock-raiser of Williams Township, was born in Benton County, Mo., June 10, 1858, and is the son of Jacob Cordes, who was born in Hanover, Germany, learned the blacksmith trade, and was married in his native country to Miss Lena Radsemacher, also a native of Hanover. Mr. Cordes emigrated to the States in 1853, settling in Benton County, Mo., and, in connection with his trade, also carried on farming. He settled on his present farm in 1868, and there he has since remained. He has 320 acres about two and a half miles from Cole Camp, and with a considerable portion under cultivation. During the late war Mr. Cordes served some nine months in the Enrolled Militia, home protection, and participated in the Cole Camp fight. Previous to this he had been three months in the regular army. To Mr. and Mrs. Cordes' marriage have been born three daughters and one son: Anna, wife of Henry Kosster; Rebecca, wife of John Wanka; Sophia, wife of George Fredericks; and Bernd, subject of this sketch. The last named attained his growth in his native county, and has made his home with his parents. He was married in this county October 16, 1884, to Miss Kate M. Schnahenbarg, a native of Morgan County, Mo., who was reared in that and Benton County. Mr. and Mrs. Cordes are the parents of two children, Jacob Henreich and Henry P. Rudolph. Mr. and Mrs. Jacob Cordes are members of the Lutheran Church. William H. Cunningham, farmer and stock-raiser of Alexander Township, is a native of Kentucky, born in Monroe County, April 27, 1845, and is the son of E. B. Cunningham, who was born in Tennessee December 14, 1819, but who was reared in Kentucky. He was married in that State to Miss Lucy Harvey, a native of Monroe County, Ky., and after marriage they resided in that State until 1855, when they moved to Missouri and located in Benton County on the farm where our subject now lives. This was improved, and here he reared his family, which consisted of three sons and two daughters, all of whom grew to mature years. The father was justice of the peace for many years in this county, and died February 24, 1876. The mother died thirty days later. William H. Cunningham attained his growth on the farm, and received a fair education in the common schools. He has remained on the homestead, having bought the interest of the other heirs, and has made a business of farming and stock-raising and trading. He was married in Benton County, December 3, 1878, to Miss Lucinda J. Wright, a native of Benton County, and the daughter of William Wright (deceased). Mrs. Cunningham died November 22, 1887, leaving one daughter, Adella, who was born November 10, 1880, and who is a very intelligent child and one very far advanced in her studies, considering her age. W. H. Cunningham has a tract of 160 acres, and the town of Fairfield is laid out on this farm. Mr. Cunningham laid out this town, and since his death W. H. Cunningham has made two additions to the place. He has about seventy-five acres under cultivation, and a large two-story residence; also out-buildings and an orchard of 100 trees, all select fruits, etc.